Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 7280412022 cover letter request is there. A lot more changes were bundled than just a model year change over.
Awesome! This definitely goes to show how NOT updated the website/database is as I called out initially. I check daily and on Friday this was not there and now I see it after you posted as well. But the letter date was back in September.

Either way, hopefully that means December or at latest January for the change 😀

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Good info, thanks. Historically, what relationship has this had on VIN changeover timing in the past? Thx
My assumption is November.
Awesome! This definitely goes to show how NOT updated the website/database is as I called out initially. I check daily and on Friday this was not there and now I see it after you posted as well. But the letter date was back in September.

Either way, hopefully that means December or at latest January for the change 😀
If I had to guess, Tesla embargoed the document until November 1st which is why you did not see it Friday. Regardless of submission date, they could have said "do not release until November 1st". Someone posted in the main Model S delivery thread at 2AM (CST), which I assume means it showed up on November 1st. Which also leads me to believe cars produced after November 1st will have the NF designation.

Reactions: impastu
My assumption is November.

If I had to guess, Tesla embargoed the document until November 1st which is why you did not see it Friday. Regardless of submission date, they could have said "do not release until November 1st". Someone posted in the main Model S delivery thread at 2AM (CST), which I assume means it showed up on November 1st. Which also leads me to believe cars produced after November 1st will have the NF designation.
That does make sense - I’m not sure the type of authority manufacturers have over release dates of files given to the NHTSA. But makes total sense if so. And again, either way, the sooner the better for everyone in here especially wanting those sweet “N” 2022 stamps. Me included!

That does make sense - I’m not sure the type of authority manufacturers have over release dates of files given to the NHTSA. But makes total sense if so. And again, either way, the sooner the better for everyone in here especially wanting those sweet “N” 2022 stamps. Me included!
Also worth noting, since we are in the Model Y section, that the WMI is changing for X and Y models.

Reactions: impastu and tbcboo
Yea, I wonder if Tesla can tell the government 'not to release' until a certain date. I also wonder if the government, NHTSA in this case, just got around to posting the updated info. Everyone knows how efficient, etc...the gov't is

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Yea, I wonder if Tesla can tell the government 'not to release' until a certain date. I also wonder if the government, NHTSA in this case, just got around to posting the updated info. Everyone knows how efficient, etc...the gov't is
They actually seem very quick (within a week). e.g. search for "VOLKSWAGEN" and you will see some docs posted one week ago. Now that this has been made public, my guess is we will see MY with 2022 stamps in people's hands by Dec 1.

Thanks for posting this - sorry unfamiliar as to what this means. Is it a request with NHTSA ? If it is, any insights as to what happens between this and actual release of 2022. Thanks again.
Request / notice that Tesla is going to be updating their VIN stamps. Cover letter explains what is changing. As for when it will change, place your bets. Could be November 1st, since the document showed up today (was filed in September). Or could be January 1st. No one is for sure, until a customer gets a VIN that matches the changes.

Request / notice that Tesla is going to be updating their VIN stamps. Cover letter explains what is changing. As for when it will change, place your bets. Could be November 1st, since the document showed up today (was filed in September). Or could be January 1st. No one is for sure, until a customer gets a VIN that matches the changes.
That's great! At least some light at the end of the tunnel...thanks.

Now that we know the 2022 VIN coding scheme, I wonder if there’s a way to brute force check to see if any are valid and in production… or maybe just wishful thinking 😝
I'd assume the obvious - Tesla will continue to allocate 2021s that were already built. Run out of that inventory, then ship 2022s. God knows how much longer. Th bigger question is, what is the build date of the 2021s currently being assigned

Someone (on this thread?) had mentioned that new VINs must be filed 60 days before being issued. If that's actually the case, since the cover letter was filed 9/29, I'd expect 2022 VINs to be produced around 11/29 which means customers wouldn't start to receive those until a few days/week later.

I'm guessing first week of December is when we will start seeing them.

Someone (on this thread?) had mentioned that new VINs must be filed 60 days before being issued. If that's actually the case, since the cover letter was filed 9/29, I'd expect 2022 VINs to be produced around 11/29 which means customers wouldn't start to receive those until a few days/week later.

I'm guessing first week of December is when we will start seeing them.
Their documentation says that they have to be reported at least 60 days prior to first offering or sale. So that goes in line with what you said.

Lol...is it, I am contemplating too. I am on hold until Nov 17th. However, I was advised you can only use hold once, otherwise they cancel the order the second time.
That’s what they told me too. I don’t mind losing the $250. But to wait at the end of the line again for a LR 3 sounds brutal. Keep us posted on your progress? Always wondered how long it will take once the order is lifted.

Reactions: impastu