Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First day of my 12.24 kW install!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is more noticeable in person. But the entire array is rotated slightly clockwise relative to the roof.

upload_2020-8-3_20-57-32.png

Are you referring to the Building Inspection Job Card?

Before work is started, it is supposed to be posted on the job site in conspicuous view. However, I haven't seen one for my solar. The roofing company taped it to the corner of my building when they replaced my roof a few weeks ago.

View attachment 572115

Inspection passed today, I didn't get to see the "permit card" but that's what I was told it's called.

Don't keep us waiting SocalDave! :) Are they continuing the install today? Did the fix the panel alignment issue?

Hah, sorry I had a dental appointment this morning.

They are wrapping up the job. Pulling wire and adding the monitoring equipment in the main electrical panel.

For the 4 panels I was complaining about, the installer said it was my roof. I actually got a ladder and tape measure out. To the bottom row of tiles, it is 0.5" off. It defiantly isn't straight, but not the couple inches I was thinking, so I'm probably going to leave it.

As I thought, I'm not liking the conduit runs on the roof. We have a flag lot and this is the view from the street. I thought they would penetrate under the solar panels.

I am going to rerun the conduit going from the inverter to the panel for sure (the two conduits to the left of the bottom penetration. The bottom penetration I might move at a later date if it keeps bugging me.

The conduit running up to the second floor is the one where there really isn't a good way to get there. I'm probably stuck with it unless I make a very long run to the back of the house.

20200804_120443.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Hi Dave,

Sounds like the panel alignment on the roof wasn't as bad as you expected. I know exactly what you mean though about noticing it though; I'm the same way!

I see 3 EMTs going down that side wall. Is that what you are planning on redoing? Once they paint it to match the wall, would it really be that noticeable?

As far as the roof conduit runs, don't they have to run the conduit on the roof to get to the other solar islands? For instance, in your above picture, how else could they run it from the 6 panels on top of the garage to the 2nd floor panels?

Glad to see it's progressing! Hope you'll get to test it out soon and get PTO fast!

Hi Dave,

I see 3 EMTs going down that side wall. Is that what you are planning on redoing? Once they paint it to match the wall, would it really be that noticeable?

As far as the roof conduit runs, don't they have to run the conduit on the roof to get to the other solar islands? For instance, in your above picture, how else could they run it from the 6 panels on top of the garage to the 2nd floor panels?

Exposed conduit runs bother me especially on the front of a house. Maybe because of my days as an electrician.

I'd like to move the junction box inside the garage roof. The one they have on the lower roof where the 1" EMT comes out to run to the second floor. I then could run this out the backside of the garage and then run up the backside of the house which isn't visible from the street.

Reactions: SoCalSteve
Exposed conduit runs bother me especially on the front of a house. Maybe because of my days as an electrician.

This explains a lot (Lol). I was reading along wondering "how is @SoCal Dave going to re run this conduit that electricians have run?", and this is that answer (and also explains your dislike of exposed conduit etc).

I dont think it looks bad, but its not my home, its yours, so if it bothers you, the only suggestion I would make would be to re run it after PTO so you are not changing something that they dont know about, before full PTO.

This explains a lot (Lol). I was reading along wondering "how is @SoCal Dave going to re run this conduit that electricians have run?", and this is that answer (and also explains your dislike of exposed conduit etc).

I grew up working with my dad and then I was an electrical foreman for 4 years. I never had the chance to do any solar installs though. Solar was just starting to take off when I stopped doing electrical.