Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First long trip in a MY. Am I being overly cautious on ABRP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm up to almost 12 months and more than 24,000 km on my MYLR, and added a total of 2145 km last week (according to TezLab). I loaned my car to my daughter for a road trip to meet up with me at last week's destination and was a bit worried about her range anxiety as it was her first EV experience. However I used ABRP with realistic assumptions, and she arrived at the first overnight stop within 1% of the predicted SoC, so absolutely no need for concern. The second leg was on the numbers too. My approach is the same as others have mentioned, using ABRP for strategic planning, and onboard nav/energy tracking for tactical execution of the trip. One of the problems with the onboard system is that its enroute Supercharger selections for a multi-charge trip don't always make sense, and the assumptions that plan them can't be changed. Because nav (still!) doesn't allow manual entry of waypoints, the only option is to enter the next ABRP-selected supercharger as your destination and just do each leg separately.

I did discover one fun thing about ABRP - it can also be used for enroute energy tracking, and the position it uses (for a linked vehicle) is the car's actual location rather than your phone's. So, if someone else is driving you can see exactly where they are on the map at all times! Tesla app also shows speed and location, but it's not as easy to use.

P.S. Anyone else annoyed by the limited onboard Supercharger display? Even when you're moving in a given direction, it continues to list Superchargers by radial distance, showing stations that are hundreds of km/mi behind you. When setting off with high SoC, that makes it difficult to manually select Superchargers for the next recharging stop because they're too far away to be on the list and have to be searched manually, pulled from Favorites or by slewing the map and picking from the screen. I wish Tesla would bias the list toward Superchargers in the travel direction when the vehicle is moving, and only show very close ones behind or to the sides. Hopefully this will improve when waypoint capability is added to the nav functionality, because the full route is then known and only enroute Superchargers should be offered.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
P.S. Anyone else annoyed by the limited onboard Supercharger display? Even when you're moving in a given direction, it continues to list Superchargers by radial distance, showing stations that are hundreds of km/mi behind you. When setting off with high SoC, that makes it difficult to manually select Superchargers for the next recharging stop because they're too far away to be on the list and have to be searched manually, pulled from Favorites or by slewing the map and picking from the screen. I wish Tesla would bias the list toward Superchargers in the travel direction when the vehicle is moving, and only show very close ones behind or to the sides. Hopefully this will improve when waypoint capability is added to the nav functionality, because the full route is then known and only enroute Superchargers should be offered.

Oh heck to the yes! Also when it chooses a Supercharger to stop at, it's rather like a Yorkshire sheep: Once it gets an idear into its head, there's no shiftin' it. No, Rob, I'm not going to make a U-turn and go back 10 miles so I can charge while I still have 40% left and there are 4 more chargers within range in the direction I'm going. Sometimes I feel like instead of Rob Anybody I should have named it Daft Wullie.

(Apologies to Python and Pratchett for mixing their references.)

Oh heck to the yes! Also when it chooses a Supercharger to stop at, it's rather like a Yorkshire sheep: Once it gets an idear into its head, there's no shiftin' it. No, Rob, I'm not going to make a U-turn and go back 10 miles so I can charge while I still have 40% left and there are 4 more chargers within range in the direction I'm going. Sometimes I feel like instead of Rob Anybody I should have named it Daft Wullie.

(Apologies to Python and Pratchett for mixing their references.)
... which is why I trust ABRP to tell me where to charge, then make the car do it my way (apologies to Sinatra). I just wish it was a bit easier to realign its plan.

I'm back.

I did what a lot of people were saying. I used ABRP for planning, then put the next charger into Teslas navigation. I also found I was being way too conservative and got much better accuracy using actual numbers. took ~30min of steady 65mph driving to see my Wh/mi is ~278.

Since I had a long trip, I also did it at 75, 77, and 80 (30mi each).

Numbers for MYLR7+AB with about 300lbs of cargo and ~3500mi on the odo
65 was 277Wh/mi
75 was 309Wh/mi
77 was 319Wh/mi
80 was 345Wh/mi

I probably stopped once or twice more than I'd have liked to for charging, but it wasnt a hassle. 20min goes by so fast. All the stuff I brought in preparation for waiting was a waste. No need to break out a camping table, no time to watch videos or play games. By the time I went to the bathroom, cleaned out the car and put in the next waypoint it was practically time to go.

Looking forward to the next adventure. Will definitely travel lighter.

I'm back.

I did what a lot of people were saying. I used ABRP for planning, then put the next charger into Teslas navigation. I also found I was being way too conservative and got much better accuracy using actual numbers. took ~30min of steady 65mph driving to see my Wh/mi is ~278.

Since I had a long trip, I also did it at 75, 77, and 80 (30mi each).

Numbers for MYLR7+AB with about 300lbs of cargo and ~3500mi on the odo
65 was 277Wh/mi
75 was 309Wh/mi
77 was 319Wh/mi
80 was 345Wh/mi

I probably stopped once or twice more than I'd have liked to for charging, but it wasnt a hassle. 20min goes by so fast. All the stuff I brought in preparation for waiting was a waste. No need to break out a camping table, no time to watch videos or play games. By the time I went to the bathroom, cleaned out the car and put in the next waypoint it was practically time to go.

Looking forward to the next adventure. Will definitely travel

If you scan your Tesla with Scan my Tesla, it will display a lot of info which is not normally aviailable. One of the entires is called Energy Buffer this shows how much juice it is left below 0.

It is not a guarantee that car will drive this much below 0 SOC.
Interesting. I may have to look into "Scan my Tesla". I'm curious, what sort of values do you see for your car for the "Energy Buffer" ?

I towed a boat over a mountain pass using ABRP with my MY. I put in 600kw/hr and it was almost spot on. My wife had range anxiety on the trip to our destination so we charged at every SC on the way. ABRP predicted we only needed to charge once on the way back. We were within 1% at the charge stop and then at home.

So I always pre-plan with ABRP on my long trips, and then let the Tesla show me my estimated % at the next supercharger location.

I have had problems with ABRP sending my route to the Tesla, and it taking me to completely different superchargers.

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
I have had problems with ABRP sending my route to the Tesla, and it taking me to completely different superchargers.
I wouldn't exactly call that "problems", because that has never been intended to work as you are thinking anyway.

ABRP can pick what Superchargers it thinks you should use along the way. The Tesla trip planner built into the car's Navigation will get a start point and end point, and IT will pick what Superchargers IT thinks should be used. Those are two totally separate, unrelated systems, that can not pass that information through. The Navigation in the car does not support what we call "waypoints", so it can't receive a list of start point and intermediate stops and endpoint. It just gets the start and end and then re-plots all of the middle.

So I think what ABRP is doing is the same thing you can do with your phone right now. You can look up a destination in Google Maps, and then click the share button to send it to the Tesla mobile app, which is sending that destination to the car's Navigation.

I just returned from a three thousand mile trip - my first multi-day trip. Not knowing what you folks know, I used ABRP to carefully plan it. But, it didn’t take long to figure that ABRP is not so good as the only tool.

Picture if you will my general route from Deep South Texas to central Florida. You follow the Interstates along a big curve along the top of the Gulf of Mexico. Imagine my surprise when I approached Houston when ABRP said it had found a 325 mile short cut! That would mean driving across part of the Gulf. I love my Model Y, but it’s not amphibious.

After that first day of bugs and app crashes, I resorted to what most of do - used both. The rest of the trip was fine.

I do strongly wish Tesla would add the ability to insert waypoints in the navigation app. That would be huge improvement.