Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First month with Solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I produced with an 18.36kw system after a month in New York with my 54 340w panels. 3 panels are doa and will be repaired this week. My plan is to save up excess electricity and use it to power my heat pumps in the winter. I don't know how feasible that will be.

Screenshot_20210622-143424.png

Yes I have been very happy with it. And also surprised at how accurate the pvwatts calculator has been. It was maybe 5- 10% lower then my actual production.

If this continues I'll have a 4 year payoff which I consider reasonable

Ahahhaha.. God I wish that was considered higher end.. With SDGE that is still below off peak by 10 cents. Not even going to bring up the $0.60 peak rates...

I wonder what percentage of NY customers are on subsidized rates versus normal rates. What happened with PG&E is that they express their kWh cost in terms of the average cost to their rate payers. But since about half of PG&E's rate payers are on the "CARES" plan, it means some people are paying what Cshama says... but others are paying 2x or 3x that rate. This creates a barbell issue for real rate payers without income assistance, but allows PG&E to trick people outside of the ecosystem that their average rates are "normal".

I have a hard time believing that other states have the 50% take rate on CARES and subsidized rates. But PG&E has created this problem for themselves. As they've squandered a ton of cash through their many bad investments, they've had to raise rates. But then the CPUC won't allow them to raise rates to disadvantaged people so they only raise rates on a fraction of their client base.

PG&E can effectively lower the rates for "normal income" people on average if all those wealthy fat-cat solar customers get booted off NEM and back onto standard PG&E rate plans. But as it stands anyone who owns a home with a regular income and doesn't at least get solar is getting absolutely crushed with absurd bills.

Reactions: h2ofun
Are you facing south with the whole array? Downstate or upstate? That's very good production for our region. May I produced 2275kWh and I'm on pace for roughly the same in June. 2/3rd of my array face south offset by 20 degrees and the other 1/3 is due west. Zero shading until late in the day.

I'm on the Hudson river in Westchester. Zero shading ever.

If Coned rates were 3 times higher it would be ridiculous. My monthly average bill was already $360 with an annual usage of about 18,000 kw

Yet, utilities in CA will tell a person they are an 'extreme waster" in many cases (and charge them penalty rates) for usage thats just over half that. And, Yes, one of the reasons so many Californians are gung ho about solar currently is that for a decent size home here, without solar, it would be fairly easy to exceed that cost ($360 a month) with 1/2 to 2/3rds of that usage.

Yet, utilities in CA will tell a person they are an 'extreme waster" in many cases (and charge them penalty rates) for usage thats just over half that. And, Yes, one of the reasons so many Californians are gung ho about solar currently is that for a decent size home here, without solar, it would be fairly easy to exceed that cost ($360 a month) with 1/2 to 2/3rds of that usage.
I can attest to that. Rates in So Cal are ridiculous and with the tired system, baseline usage is so low (I don't even think you could run a refrigerator and a light bulb off that!!). Tier 2 is ~.30/kWH, Tier 3 is even more! One of the main reasons for me going solar (plus ESS) is that rates go up and up every year! Yet they still have propaganda commercials telling every to save energy (just like Texas -- plus we have to "pay" for all the fires they start! The biggest racket is that like most states, the power company (SCE for me) limits the system you can put on your roof to 120% generation of previous years' usage. This does not take into account any future, growing energy needs. For example, if Calif has its way, all new cars by 2035 must be EVs, so if I had a few kids in the house, by the time they can drive, I'd have to charge multiple EVs! Solar isn't a short term investment, it has a much longer outlook than what is being allowed! Sorry for the rant!