Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First P85D adopters stuck in black hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@LaTache.... I was told by my DS today that it needs a day or so to "arrange transport" (mine flipped Sun afternoon, so take that for what it is worth) and then 7-10 days to get to Chitown. They speculate next week may be an option... but I'm not getting my hopes up for a Christmas present. Here is to safe travels to yours... there are I think three others on the spreadsheet also coming here.

@Dbitter1. Since yours flipped Sunday and today is Wednesday, any update expected delivery date and if currently in transit? Some say when running smooth Chicago deliveries take 3-5 days and 5-7 is the norm. Is it true, once in transit, DS can track it in real time? Can you tell I am anxious? :love:

Has anyone on the east coast actually got a delivery schedule set up yet?

My DS is somewhat less than proactive about communications, so I don't really know what's up -- but I still don't have a delivery date even after the car completed two days ago. (Note: I am not saying 'omg must deliver now', I would just like to be able to plan the next two weeks to figure out when I need to be near the dealer, and when I can visit family hundreds of miles away).

In fact, I still don't even have my final paperwork (which others posted about having weeks ago)
I have not. My DS indicated that they don't set a date until the vehicle is on the truck, which I understand since it probably avoids a lot of rescheduling. It's been 2 days for me as well, so hopefully that will happen today!

DS just called and we scheduled delivery for 12/22 in the morning.

Looks like I'll be driving up probably late Sunday in hopes of avoiding a little bit of traffic, although probably not...

So, 5 day countdown begins now. :D

Well mine finally switched over to being prepped this morning... still in talks with canceling and re-ordering. Very torn on what to do.

Since I am leasing and going on vacation from the 26th to 12th I really don't want to take delivery and pay for a car that sits in my garage for 3 weeks...

So I am thinking either of these two options right now:

1 - Take Delivery of vehicle as is in January and take the seat credit. (I don't want to make higher monthly lease payments for a seat that may take months to come)

2 - Re-Order and take delivery with the Next Gen Seats in February.

I was really leaning towards #2 but now seeing my dashboard update I am getting excited again to just drive the thing.

I have sat in the next gen seats and they are very nice but I figured after my lease is up I can enjoy the NextNextGen Seats right?

Why is everybody making a big deal of this black hole? When i ordered my Audi A4 back in 2012, on the moment I bought it I had to wait 6 months without ANY status updates, 2 weeks before the car was delivered the dealer emailed me for the payment. It is normal to wait :)

I think it has to do with access to information on the Tesla website. When I ordered a custom Range Rover back in 2012, it took about 4-5 months to deliver. There was no site I could log on to. There were no "black hole" forums or Excel spreadsheets where I could see what VIN numbers were being built. All I could do was sit and wait. I was on the verge of forgetting I had even ordered the car when I got the call from the dealer saying the car would be delivered in a few days. Now that I have access to see the progress of my P85D, I am addicted to checking on an almost hourly basis. I read the forums, I call and pester my DS when I get new information from the forums, etc. I guess that's one of the perks or weaknesses (depending on how you look at it) of online ordering with real time status updates. You see the same behavior with Ebay, Amazon, etc. You are correct when you say it's normal to wait. But the adoption of online ordering by Tesla just changes how we wait ;)

- - - Updated - - -

DS just called and we scheduled delivery for 12/22 in the morning.

Looks like I'll be driving up probably late Sunday in hopes of avoiding a little bit of traffic, although probably not...

So, 5 day countdown begins now. :D

Awesome news!!! I know it's been a long wait for you...but it's all about to be worth it!

I think it has to do with access to information on the Tesla website. When I ordered a custom Range Rover back in 2012, it took about 4-5 months to deliver. There was no site I could log on to. There were no "black hole" forums or Excel spreadsheets where I could see what VIN numbers were being built. All I could do was sit and wait. I was on the verge of forgetting I had even ordered the car when I got the call from the dealer saying the car would be delivered in a few days. Now that I have access to see the progress of my P85D, I am addicted to checking on an almost hourly basis. I read the forums, I call and pester my DS when I get new information from the forums, etc. I guess that's one of the perks or weaknesses (depending on how you look at it) of online ordering with real time status updates. You see the same behavior with Ebay, Amazon, etc. You are correct when you say it's normal to wait. But the adoption of online ordering by Tesla just changes how we wait ;)

When I ordered my BMW back in 2004 there was online tracking, so it's nothing new. Through multiple orders with BMW and Porsche, my Dealer always stayed in touch with me, including providing updates when the car had to be stopped at the port for a replacement of all seatbelts (very similar issue to the airbag issue). The wait in that case was a month, but I was not kept in the dark.

And, today we live in a world where the overwhelming majority of consumers expect to be able to track UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc for a $0.25 battery sent from Amazon Prime. It's not surprising people expect to have SOME information on their $130k car. The spreadsheet did make it more obvious what happened, but even without the spreadsheet, I would have noticed the car sitting in production for 3 weeks.

When I ordered my BMW back in 2004 there was online tracking, so it's nothing new. Through multiple orders with BMW and Porsche, my Dealer always stayed in touch with me, including providing updates when the car had to be stopped at the port for a replacement of all seatbelts (very similar issue to the airbag issue). The wait in that case was a month, but I was not kept in the dark.

And, today we live in a world where the overwhelming majority of consumers expect to be able to track UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc for a $0.25 battery sent from Amazon Prime. It's not surprising people expect to have SOME information on their $130k car. The spreadsheet did make it more obvious what happened, but even without the spreadsheet, I would have noticed the car sitting in production for 3 weeks.

Maybe I just didn't ask Range Rover about online tracking when I ordered it back in 2012. I'm glad I did not know about it because the wait would have been painful. I just let the car arrive when it did, realizing that I would get a car at some point. It doesn't help that I have more free time now. It is interesting that we are talking about delays on the order of weeks...though it seems longer than that!

I think its clear that the power of a forum like TMC, while invaluable, gives us sufficient information to know that while we are waiting, other owners who ordered after we did are getting deliveries -thus we knew that there was something different going on with our cars. In my case I was already talking to my DS about delivery (regardless of what the dash said) and it was actually the dashboard that told me the car was going back into production - before he had even been told. Then a day later he had to tell me that in fact my car was not on a truck but was being delayed and he had no idea why - or when it would now be delivered. So to compare with mastaace example, if the dealer said the car would be delivered in the next few days and you had completed payment, insurance, registration, booked a wrap appointment etc. and then a day later he called and said it was not available anymore and he couldn't tell you why or when it would now be delivered, then two weeks later the situation was still the same, that would be equivalent. I guess a company promising a car in December and then slipping the dates is not that unusual but I would get annoyed whichever company it was, particularly if I was planning around it (though I only did this when I had been told it was shipping). There is no reason I would be less annoyed because the company is Tesla. If anything I suspect I hold them to a higher standard because overall I see them as above the usual company shenanigans - and perhaps because I spend a lot of my time evangelizing for the company I'm a tad disappointed. I know this is naive - but it may explain why I (and others) may seem excessively annoyed.

I think its clear that the power of a forum like TMC, while invaluable, gives us sufficient information to know that while we are waiting, other owners who ordered after we did are getting deliveries -thus we knew that there was something different going on with our cars. In my case I was already talking to my DS about delivery (regardless of what the dash said) and it was actually the dashboard that told me the car was going back into production - before he had even been told. Then a day later he had to tell me that in fact my car was not on a truck but was being delayed and he had no idea why - or when it would now be delivered. So to compare with mastaace example, if the dealer said the car would be delivered in the next few days and you had completed payment, insurance, registration, booked a wrap appointment etc. and then a day later he called and said it was not available anymore and he couldn't tell you why or when it would now be delivered, then two weeks later the situation was still the same, that would be equivalent. I guess a company promising a car in December and then slipping the dates is not that unusual but I would get annoyed whichever company it was, particularly if I was planning around it (though I only did this when I had been told it was shipping). There is no reason I would be less annoyed because the company is Tesla. If anything I suspect I hold them to a higher standard because overall I see them as above the usual company shenanigans - and perhaps because I spend a lot of my time evangelizing for the company I'm a tad disappointed. I know this is naive - but it may explain why I (and others) may seem excessively annoyed.

I totally get it gpetti. I have followed your posts and would be very annoyed at this process if I were in your shoes. Sometimes ignorance about the whole production/delivery process makes the situation a tad easier to deal with. That's still no excuse. If Tesla offers an online site where they are willing to allow customers to view the progress of their orders, they should at least offer their customers some (prompt) explanation when things move backwards in the process. I understand they are a young company and any negative press could really hurt the company...but we are quick to give them a free pass because of their awesome product.

Fellow P85DBHers,
I talked to my DS.
He responded to my request on an update on the car with "Your car is in general assembly, we are just taking it slowly on the P85D's to make sure we get them right."

I stopped him there and said that it was clear from the tracking going on in the forum, that is just not a true statement. There are many cars that went in well after mine (and many others here) that are getting completed in 4-5 days. So something specific to the cars started between 11/22-11/30 is going on here,.

He said he understood my concern and said he would make a request to the factory for someone to go and find my car on the floor to figure out what is going on.

I proactively offered that I have heard that the next gen seats are causing a delay and I would be happy to take the regular seats now and the next gens later. He then advised me that there was a note on my order saying that I wouldn't be getting the next gen seats upon delivery. Interesting that they just made that call without asking me, but I didn't complain since I was offering to do that anyway.

So I await hearing on the update from the factory floor, which should come by the end of the day. Apparently there are multiple requests for floor tracking right now.....

Ross

My DS called this morning - he advised that the reason my car was stuck in production was because of not having next gen seats in stock and as he told me the day before, I would be getting napa seats and then the next gens would be installed when they arrive.

I thanked him for the increased clarity, but I was still confused by the literally dozens of P85D's with theoretically the exact same issue were getting produced while mine and about 20 other cars sit in production limbo. He didn't have an answer but said he would have his manager call me. Which I am waiting for now.

The reason I am less than sanguine about this is that I was sold on upgrading from an 85D order to a P85D order on the basis of 1)Keep the Green Color and 2)Get it in 2014 and right now 1/2 of that pitch is looking highly suspect. My life will go on if they don't make it and I have a high class problem to be worrying about delivery of my 6 figure car, but I do feel Tesla should be doing a better job given how they sold me the upgrade.

I decided to email Jerome, figure I have nothing to lose on that front. We shall see...

Ross