Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First P85D adopters stuck in black hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
21 days in production and counting. I was told that my car was in final inspection (3-4 days ago) and that it would be in with a group shipping to Toronto for December 26th - but I'm having my doubts. What the heck did they find during final inspection for the car to still be there after 3-4 days? :scared: They could have built me a new car 3 times over by now.

In case somebody from Tesla is reading this, my car is VIN#63012. Would you mind checking on it? Perhaps one of the service guys down there took it and ran for the Mexican border for a few weeks of holiday? If so, I don't want a vehicle that smells of cheap tequila, or with bits of burrito ground into the carpet!

Last edited:
21 days in production and counting. I was told that my car was in final inspection (3-4 days ago) and that it would be in with a group shipping to Toronto for December 26th - but I'm having my doubts. What the heck did they find during final inspection for the car to still be there after 3-4 days? :scared: They could have built me a new car 3 times over by now.

In case somebody from Tesla is reading this, my car is VIN#63012. Would you mind checking on it? Perhaps one of the service guys down there took it and ran for the Mexican border for a few weeks of holiday? If so, I don't want a vehicle that smells of cheap tequila, or with bits of burrito ground into the carpet!

I feel your pain. Given that Tesla is now using trains to ship, I suspect that they may be having trouble sourcing additional trucks. They pushed out an insane number of vehicles in a short period of time.

My DS called this morning - he advised that the reason my car was stuck in production was because of not having next gen seats in stock and as he told me the day before, I would be getting napa seats and then the next gens would be installed when they arrive.

I thanked him for the increased clarity, but I was still confused by the literally dozens of P85D's with theoretically the exact same issue were getting produced while mine and about 20 other cars sit in production limbo. He didn't have an answer but said he would have his manager call me. Which I am waiting for now.

The reason I am less than sanguine about this is that I was sold on upgrading from an 85D order to a P85D order on the basis of 1)Keep the Green Color and 2)Get it in 2014 and right now 1/2 of that pitch is looking highly suspect. My life will go on if they don't make it and I have a high class problem to be worrying about delivery of my 6 figure car, but I do feel Tesla should be doing a better job given how they sold me the upgrade.

I decided to email Jerome, figure I have nothing to lose on that front. We shall see...

Ross

Jerome responded in 2 hours to my email. Very impressed.

Nutshell of response:
-My car is in final inspection and should be completed tomorrow or the next day
-Cars in the early production cycle with QA problems just take longer - it takes 10X labor and time to remove and replace parts in QA
-They are pulling all possible Tesla employees and hiring outside contractors to get these cars completed
-The worst storm in a decade in the area and problems at the port of Oakland have also caused unexpected delays

So with that, my questions are answered and while my car wasn't done at the time, I no longer felt in the black hole because I was given clarity on what the situation was with my car and why it was taking so long. If my DS had shared the above with me I would have been quite content and not bothered Jerome or posted that much on this topic.

And to put a final cap on this - my car came out of production sometime last night. Along with something like 5-6 others in the BH who completed 17-18. Which means the BH should be cleared in the next 3-4 days by my math if the pace keeps up.

Ross

That doesn't make any sense.

You're reading posts from many people here who are finding out well ahead of when their cars are arriving at their pick up locations what seats the cars are coming with. It sounds like your DS just needs to dig a little deeper.

I know. It's really annoying knowing that there are actually answers and my DS is just not providing them. I will call HQ later on today. I am not demanding to have my car RIGHT NOW, but I would like to know if I should plan to visit family for Xmas or New Years -- rather than just have a car randomly show up while I am 400 miles away.

Jerome responded in 2 hours to my email. Very impressed.

Nutshell of response:
-My car is in final inspection and should be completed tomorrow or the next day
-Cars in the early production cycle with QA problems just take longer - it takes 10X labor and time to remove and replace parts in QA
-They are pulling all possible Tesla employees and hiring outside contractors to get these cars completed
-The worst storm in a decade in the area and problems at the port of Oakland have also caused unexpected delays

So with that, my questions are answered and while my car wasn't done at the time, I no longer felt in the black hole because I was given clarity on what the situation was with my car and why it was taking so long. If my DS had shared the above with me I would have been quite content and not bothered Jerome or posted that much on this topic.

And to put a final cap on this - my car came out of production sometime last night. Along with something like 5-6 others in the BH who completed 17-18. Which means the BH should be cleared in the next 3-4 days by my math if the pace keeps up.

Ross

That's a form response that a bunch of people got about a week ago. But - I suppose the situation may still be much the same.

Hey Sandpiper,

You and I are in the same boat. 25 days in production for me now. Initially it had seemed like mine was going to be one of the first here in Canada but now who knows when it'll get here. The guys (at Lawrence) are confident it'll be here before year end (same shipment as yours) but we'll see. Worst comes to worst it'll be the first few days in the new year.

Have you gone on a test drive of the D yet? If not, be forewarned that it'll make you want yours even more!

Well my car is out of the hole and on the truck. I Guess the upside of temporary seats are my buddy can ride around with me

IMG_2575.jpg

"Production Complete" FINALLY! 26 days in production - let's see if anyone can break that record! :biggrin:

Tips for any of those still stuck - yesterday I emailed and called my DS in the morning. After not hearing back all day, I decided to email Jerome again. I cc'd my DS on my email to Jerome. 15 minutes after I emailed Jerome, my DS called me (pretty sure it wasn't a coincidence). She didn't have much info, other than saying she was 95% sure my car would be delivered before year-end and that Jerome was really trying to push things along, and that they were trying to get in touch with the engineers at the factory to figure out exactly what was going on with my vehicle. I also expressed that I had a family trip planned from 12/26 - 12/31, but that I would cancel the trip if my car was ready during that period.

Then, when I checked my "My Tesla" page this morning, voila...Production Complete. All a coincidence?

So if you're stuck in the hole (and have a DS who doesn't communicate all that often) maybe emailing Jerome and copying your DS will get things moving along.

Still no idea what seats they put in there or a delivery date scheduled...hope to find that out both those things today.

Coincidentally I'm test driving a P85D today in Sunnyvale as well - I guess they have on with new seats that you CAN'T drive (but can sit in just to see how they feel), and one with old seats that you can drive...

Well, my car is in a new Black Hole - one in which production is complete, but it just sits there and doesn't get transported. Multiple phone calls and e-mails to my DS, and he said he's escalating things, but no apparent progress.

My time frame will get to the limit if the car is not put on a transporter today or tomorrow at the latest. Considering the weekend, and Christmas, there are only 9 days until I need to take delivery, and 3 of them will get thrown out by those. So I've paused just outside the Event Horizon, and it's unclear if I'll be able to generate the near infinite force required to claw my car back from the black hole.

This is a never ending saga.

I have the final purchase paperwork finally, but am hesitant to sign it, if I am committing to a 2014 car that won't be delivered until 2015. So that will make the auto loan go down to the wire, another potential complication that they could have easily prevented.

Another local purchaser of a D and I have been in touch. He's fed up, and seriously considering walking away from the deal. The sales rep called him yesterday to arrange delivery, and when he asked what seats he would be getting, he was put on hold and then told his delivery date was cancelled, new date unclear - perhaps the same as mine. He's pretty furious as he has work commitments he can't just jockey around at Tesla's whim. I don't blame him.

Well, my car is in a new Black Hole - one in which production is complete, but it just sits there and doesn't get transported. Multiple phone calls and e-mails to my DS, and he said he's escalating things, but no apparent progress.

My time frame will get to the limit if the car is not put on a transporter today or tomorrow at the latest. Considering the weekend, and Christmas, there are only 9 days until I need to take delivery, and 3 of them will get thrown out by those. So I've paused just outside the Event Horizon, and it's unclear if I'll be able to generate the near infinite force required to claw my car back from the black hole.

I have the final purchase paperwork finally, but am hesitant to sign it, if I am committing to a 2014 car that won't be delivered until 2015. So that will make the auto loan go down to the wire, another potential complication that they could have easily prevented.

Another local purchaser of a D and I have been in touch. He's fed up, and seriously considering walking away from the deal. The sales rep called him yesterday to arrange delivery, and when he asked what seats he would be getting, he was put on hold and then told his delivery date was cancelled, new date unclear - perhaps the same as mine. He's pretty furious as he has work commitments he can't just jockey around at Tesla's whim. I don't blame him.

I just spoke to Tesla HQ and was told that my car is going to be loaded onto a truck today heading to Dania Beach, FL.

I would guess that the same is true for your car, assuming that it was truthful.

I agree that this endless blackhole of information is beyond annoying.

I seem to have entered that new hole too (along with all the other cars destined for Chicago). No news from DS on when the car(s) will ship. I'm not signing or paying for anything until I am able to put my butt in the seat of the car I am buying.... There was some discussion by others in this forum suggesting they were told their car was being put on a train to Chicago. Has anyone gotten confirmation that this has actually happened?

What phone number or menu option are you using to contact HQ? My DS just said mine will be getting loaded on a truck "some time this week," but given all the previous delays I'd like to see if I could go to the source to find out more.
510 249 3650 x4

(And probably 100 calls are about to head that way)

I got voicemail the first 5 times I called (I did not record a message), but eventually I got a human.

On another note, I did finally get my MVPA (but not my finance agreement!) On the MVPA, it lists that my delivery will be on or about 12/26/2014. No idea if that date is actually an expected delivery or just a placeholder, since it did not actually come from a human.

It'll be interesting to see who the last Black Holer is on this forum. I'm still "In Production", having entered production on 11/24.

Black hole sun
Won't you come
And wash away the rain
Black hole sun
Won't you come
Won't you come (Won't you come)

:frown:

A new wrinkle. My DS finally sent me all the final paperwork (after calling and asking 3 times over the lasts 3 days, plus two e-mails.)

On page 8, is the "Delivery Declaration and Due Bill". It is the place where Tesla lists "Outstanding Work to be Completed Subsequent to Delivery of the Vehicle." Amazingly, swapping out the seats is not listed - just "Nothing else promised or implied".

Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's one document that's not getting signed.

I'm getting more and more concerned about the lack of attention to detail. Nice little $3500 mistake in their favor (and to be fair, I'm sure it really is an oversight, but doesn't anyone actually look at this stuff????) They really expect me to sign and say that I've paid for the new seats, but shouldn't ever expect to get them?

So a few more days are going to be wasted swapping back and forth paperwork, further making my time frame even tighter with the Credit Union. And who knows how many repeated, ignored phone calls and e-mails to my DS it will take to fix this?

I really do have a day job. It keeps me busy about 80 hours per week. I'd like to think that I haven't taken on a second job just handling the logistics of buying a car. It certainly is becoming one.