Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Production Cars Delivered Sep 29 at Factory per Elon Tweet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure this is a delivery event for Founders, not Sigs.

I doubt there is anyone who wants me to be wrong on this more than I.

Maybe not more, but I also really want you to be wrong!

- - - Updated - - -

The initial vehicles will be Founders Series models, a fully loaded, extremely limited version, Tesla said.

Disappointment confirmed. Oh well. Can't wait to get started on Gallons of Light 2!

Whether it's Founders or Signatures, the fact that Musk publicly announced that "production" cars will be handed on 29th makes me feel that the car will be fully revealed on that day. I mean, all of the magic in it. From then on we no longer need to guess if the second row seats fold down or not, or how exactly they will fold down. What do you guys say?

Yes

- - - Updated - - -

Kudos to Bloomberg Business. This has been the best article I've seen so far on Tesla. Very accurate and non-biased.

As far as MSM goes, I'd say Bloomberg is the best by far on the whole when it comes to covering Tesla.

Pretty sure this is a delivery event for Founders, not Sigs. I doubt there is anyone who wants me to be wrong on this more than I.
Bonnie, you are right. Tesla has called to discuss various details of my order and delivery so I asked what I could post. Only Founder Model X vehicles will be delivered on September 29th at Fremont. Signature X will be delivered individually as usual.

My thoughts: While I can get a future delivery at the factory service center, the benefit of local delivery is I won't have concern over rocks and stones hitting Model X driving from Fremont to OC. No delivery date known, so please don't ask!

Last edited:
Bonnie, you are right. Tesla has called to discuss various details of my order and delivery so I asked what I could post. Only Founder Model X vehicles will be delivered on September 29th at Fremont. Signature X will be delivered individually as usual.

My thoughts: While I can get a future delivery at the factory service center, the benefit of local delivery is I won't have concern over rocks and stones hitting Model X driving from Fremont to OC. No delivery date known, so please don't ask!

Any news on the headlights?

Any info on the second row folding seats. That seems to be the biggest issue to everyone.

Any news on the headlights?

Any info on the second row folding seats. That seems to be the biggest issue to everyone.

Can you confirm whether or not 360º camera will be offered?

I did not ask Tesla those questions. My call was in regard to local delivery locations and Model X options that would eventually affect delivery timing. They have no idea at this time when delivery will occur. While I mentioned some of my thoughts on the center seat, there were no verifications of anything. The call that Tesla made helps them know the buyer's desires sooner than later. There are no plans for Tesla Motors to drive the Model X up the hill as they did with Model S and Personal Delivery in 2012. Enjoy viewing: Tesla Delivers Anywhere on Vimeo

Can someone explain what a "Founder's" mean. Are these free car provided to initial investors, or special models they or their companies purchase. Just trying to understand the term -- Founders?? How many Founders are there?

Can someone explain what a "Founder's" mean. Are these free car provided to initial investors, or special models they or their companies purchase. Just trying to understand the term -- Founders?? How many Founders are there?

I believe they are cars for investors and unless I am mistaken you pay the base price for the car and the "options" are free. Could be wrong.

Best to get the clear armor done before you make that drive if you choose to do so. That would be a very fun drive!

Spoke to a Tesla rep yesterday. He confirmed that the 2nd row does not fold, rotate or transform in any way to make a flag cargo space. The 3rd row seats however do fold flat.
Wow, that's a massive change from what was shown in the earlier presentation about the X. The "what would you do with this much space" appears to be quite inaccurate. Rather disappointing :-(

Best to get the clear armor done before you make that drive if you choose to do so. That would be a very fun drive!
I will not be making the first drive from the Fremont Service Center to Orange County. Local delivery is being discussed. That will help with the clear bra material to be installed locally.

OT: At this time NO delivery timeframe has been mentioned and my speculation of next month could end up being "before the end of the year". IMHO, Tesla Motors wants our new vehicles to be as perfect as possible. Quality takes time, so I will be patient and not be concerned if delays occur in the process of making sure everything is just right. Tesla did verify that NO extra delay would result by ordering the Subzero Weather Package. I have talked to a lot of great people with the company this past week and I am extremely pleased for their support and encouragement.

Spoke to a Tesla rep yesterday. He confirmed that the 2nd row does not fold, rotate or transform in any way to make a flag cargo space. The 3rd row seats however do fold flat.

Wow, that's a massive change from what was shown in the earlier presentation about the X. The "what would you do with this much space" appears to be quite inaccurate. Rather disappointing :-(
That does not bode well. Darn and I just posted in the seat thread and moved onto this one. DOH.
Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how? - Page 19

Options, people, options!
Signature seats are as we saw them. Nobody saw non-sig seats yet.

Signature 2nd row consist of three independent powered seats that move F/R and up down, they may also tilt a bit, but they d not fold in normal sense.

Not take a break and breath..

While I can get a future delivery at the factory service center, the benefit of local delivery is I won't have concern over rocks and stones hitting Model X driving from Fremont to OC. No delivery date known, so please don't ask!

That is, if they physically cover it (I feel like they almost never cover them, almost an "enviro-politic"-hatred of beauty, which is opposite of part of the point of Tesla (and enviro) to begin with). I see open-exterior car carriers head south coming from Tesla fully loaded every other time I'm on USCAI5-CA152-US101-USCAI880 (and I know most train car carriers are partially open to the elements, too). The only thing you'd gain "taking local delivery" (letting oil-headed yahoos handle your car (for pennies on the dollar) instead of you) is liability blame points, not physical protection, unless you luck out and get a fully enclosed carrier who is competent (in your favor, not theirs) at loading and unloading. If you have the money*time, putting competent extra protection layers (Xpel full body?) on nearby the Fremont factory yourself (or equivalent) would have superior protection compared to the approach of only demarcating the liability line in your favor (a roundabout carnival merrygoround of cheap F-U's). I feel like Iowa exports its low-grade insurance products to us Californians by default, letting mishandling be the king of the day.

Last edited:
I am not convinced that the Tesla people in the showrooms and service centers have complete and accurate info on the second row seats, but I agree it is possible that the second row does not fold flat. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that the second row seats at the very least will move far forward to provide more cargo space. I do think the third row will fold flat into the space just forward to them, and that will produce quite a large amount of cargo space.

That is, if they physically cover it (I feel like they almost never cover them, almost an "enviro-politic"-hatred of beauty, which is opposite of part of the point of Tesla (and enviro) to begin with). I see open-exterior car carriers head south coming from Tesla fully loaded every other time I'm on USCAI5-CA152-US101-USCAI880 (and I know most train car carriers are partially open to the elements, too). The only thing you'd gain "taking local delivery" (letting oil-headed yahoos handle your car (for pennies on the dollar) instead of you) is liability blame points, not physical protection, unless you luck out and get a fully enclosed carrier who is competent (in your favor, not theirs) at loading and unloading. If you have the money*time, putting competent extra protection layers (Xpel full body?) on nearby the Fremont factory yourself (or equivalent) would have superior protection compared to the approach of only demarcating the liability line in your favor (a roundabout carnival merrygoround of cheap F-U's). I feel like Iowa exports its low-grade insurance products to us Californians by default, letting mishandling be the king of the day.
My car arrived in Portland with rock chip in the front. Was unprotected on the transport truck.