Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla vehicle delivered with HW4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than technical specifications, what is the value to the driver of HW 4?
  1. sharper / higher resolution images in sentry mode and other modes
  2. With more processing power, perhaps sentry mode can include more cameras
  3. Ability to see further away or wider field of view, which helps, autopilot, FSD, emergency braking, ... etc
  4. Will HW4 enable pothole detection and avoidance?
  5. Opinion: hw5 will arrive before full self driving can be achieved. I'm NOT talking about partial self driving.

Last edited:
I’d like to hear from people after they’ve had a chance to use AP with HW4. I’ve been waiting for confirmation on HW4 before pulling the trigger on a new S, and it looks like I’ll get HW4 if I order now. However, if HW4 seriously cripples AP in any way, I might hold off until the software catches up. Still haven’t decided whether to get the yoke or round wheel, but that’s a topic for a different thread.

Hmm… The photos from the recent X delivery has one of the front triple cameras looking differently -- potentially a dummy, but the service screen for Driver Assist still shows 8 cameras:
Again I would suggest this is (I should say, could well be) a transitional setup. If the final state of Hw4 has only two forward cameras in the windshield, but for now they need it to work as seamlessly as possible with the current software environment, then the third forward camera could be part of that strategy. Even if the HW4 code doesn't strictly need it, they could be running the shadow mode comparison method for a while to come, in which they compare the pipeline running the HW3 setup with the new pipeline.

I realize this idea of a transition strategy is speculation on my part, but it makes a good deal of sense to me. It leverages the Tesla strength of all that data and the benchmark of the currently deployed fleet.

Reactions: daktari
I’d like to hear from people after they’ve had a chance to use AP with HW4. I’ve been waiting for confirmation on HW4 before pulling the trigger on a new S, and it looks like I’ll get HW4 if I order now. However, if HW4 seriously cripples AP in any way, I might hold off until the software catches up. Still haven’t decided whether to get the yoke or round wheel, but that’s a topic for a different thread.
My understanding is AP doesn't work at all on HW4 yet, there's no TTAC or even vehicles showing up in the visualizations.

Wow, looks like the side camera's are full color and don't have that weird tint to them.

Remember when @jjrandorin was calling me out for making a false post at the beginning of this thread? 🤡

I remember when I said "its better to be right than try to be first, so perhaps it would be best to wait until things are confirmed before rushing to post". If you consider that calling out, then yes I remember that.

I remember when I said "its better to be right than try to be first, so perhaps it would be best to wait until things are confirmed before rushing to post". If you consider that calling out, then yes I remember that.
Ah true, I guess I got lucky with the information being true in the end. I guess I'm the clown

Also I don't think HW4 has headlight cameras like the photo shows.

• Informative
Reactions: WyoDude
I wish I had HW4 solely for the full color side camera's.

Reactions: WyoDude
Wow, looks like the side camera's are full color and don't have that weird tint to them.

Remember when @jjrandorin was calling me out for making a false post at the beginning of this thread? 🤡
The first post was still false wasn't it? The car in question didn't have HW4. Teslascope got a lot of flack for it. That finally now there are later cars with HW4 doesn't change they rushed out to be first and got it wrong.

service screen for Driver Assist still shows 8 cameras:

View attachment 914866
Wow. The Model X Palladium Service Manually explicitly says there's a dummy camera:
service hw4 dummy camera.png

I wonder if the 8th camera dot is repurposed for the interior camera? The manual has some instructions:

On the touchscreen Cameras diagram, confirm that the Reset DAS button is highlighted green and that all DAS components display a green status light.​
The forward facing bi-camera assembly consists of two individual cameras that must be updated separately: Front Camera Connection Test and Fisheye Camera Connection Test. Make sure to update firmware on the cameras that were replaced.​
And there's a photo of how to connect the left side of the Autopilot computer (the entertainment motherboard is closer to the camera partially blocking the view). Notice above the middle 3 arrows, there's an unplugged purple and black port:
hw4 left.jpg

These ports seem to be for…

Purple: F-SVC & Spare
Black: L-SVC & R-SVC
White: R-FF-Rear & L-FF-Rear (repeaters)
Blue: Selfie & Wide
Black: Main & L-FF-Side & Backup & R-FF-Side (pillars)

So it looks like only 8 cameras are connected of the 12 potential max.

Wow. The Model X Palladium Service Manually explicitly says there's a dummy camera:
View attachment 915519

I wonder if the 8th camera dot is repurposed for the interior camera? The manual has some instructions:

On the touchscreen Cameras diagram, confirm that the Reset DAS button is highlighted green and that all DAS components display a green status light.​
The forward facing bi-camera assembly consists of two individual cameras that must be updated separately: Front Camera Connection Test and Fisheye Camera Connection Test. Make sure to update firmware on the cameras that were replaced.​
And there's a photo of how to connect the left side of the Autopilot computer (the entertainment motherboard is closer to the camera partially blocking the view). Notice above the middle 3 arrows, there's an unplugged purple and black port:
View attachment 915533

Good find. I knew that rightmost (passenger side) camera looked strange...

View attachment 915519

View attachment 915533

I bet they replace the dummy camera with one just for selfies…. 😀

While the test is appreciated, they don't give even an approximate FOV, only slightly less than 90 degrees. Given the Vertical FOV appears to be more in the Model Y, it's possible the diagonal FOVs of both cameras are the same or similar and the HFOV vs VFOV are what are different (with one beating the other).

Would also be interesting to see if the new cameras spotted on Model 3 shows any difference.

Looks like these new S/X with HW4 are getting updated to 2023.2.301 from 2023.2.201 which previously fixed the HW4 backup camera. Could this new version be adding Park Assist like 2023.6.9 for HW3 but not ready to merge into 2023.6.x for these vehicles with new hardware?

Edit: Looks like initially not so exciting with official "Minor Fixes:"

Last edited: