Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you lean toward the side of making hyperbolic conclusions without bothering to look for data or evidence, let me help you out.

In the first photo, it is clear that there is at least three distinct rows of Karmas behind the burnt out sections, if not four and possibly five (judging from alternating rooflines). It looks as though the 16 Karmas that were fire damaged were in the front two rows, meaning 7-8 cars per row, plus the 1 -2 unscathed ones in the first and second row (see second photo). Based on this, I would venture a guess that there were five to seven rows of Karmas, about 10 cars deep, for a total of 50-70 cars.

wow, talk about hyperbolic conclusions. 10 cars deep??? im definitely not seeing that. but thx anyway for your "help".

It's no sense arguing about this. Just stick to facts we know. Even if there were 100 Karmas there and only one initially caught fire, it's reasonable to make the empirical observation that the Fisker Karma has a higher probability of catching fire than a Toyota Prius in this extreme situation. Anything more than that is just speculation, though. And this isn't really a situation you bother to design for unless you're making a submarine.

As has been said a few times now, however many Karmas were there, they are all a total loss, fire or no.

So hopefully Fisker will say how many Karmas were lost to the flooding. I wonder how long the cars were there. Seems to me I haven't heard much movement in the sales numbers. I keep hearing about 1500 Karams sold, yet 2000 or so made? Was the difference stored at that port?

It's no sense arguing about this. Just stick to facts we know. Even if there were 100 Karmas there and only one initially caught fire, it's reasonable to make the empirical observation that the Fisker Karma has a higher probability of catching fire than a Toyota Prius in this extreme situation. Anything more than that is just speculation, though. And this isn't really a situation you bother to design for unless you're making a submarine.

As has been said a few times now, however many Karmas were there, they are all a total loss, fire or no.

So hopefully Fisker will say how many Karmas were lost to the flooding. I wonder how long the cars were there. Seems to me I haven't heard much movement in the sales numbers. I keep hearing about 1500 Karams sold, yet 2000 or so made? Was the difference stored at that port?

That is the equally troubling statistic for Fisker. Cars sitting around unsold.

Fisker and NHTSA have concluded their investigation. Note:
1. Fire started in a single "low voltage control unit" common to many vehicles 12V system.
2. Lithium-ion batteries not at fault.
3. There were no "explosions" as incorrectly reported by Jalopnik.
4. Several other cars in same lot also caught fire, but we never saw sensationalist photos of those.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/108 ... t-at-fault

Nothing to see here really. Jalopnik and its peers once again won a few page hits at expense of Fisker's reputation
icon_rolleyes.gif

Tsunami fires (ice cars):

http://www.infinitig37.com/images/earthquake-shipping-yards-2.jpg

Green Car Reports in Fisker statement:

Sandy Flood Fire Followup: Fisker Karma Battery Not At Fault

In a statement last night, the company said it has concluded--after "a thorough investigation witnessed by NHTSA representatives"--that the cause was residual salt damage inside a Vehicle Control Unit submerged in seawater for several hours.

Corrosion from the salt caused a short circuit in the unit, which led to a fire when the Karma's 12-Volt battery fed power into the circuit.

Heavy winds then spread that fire to other Karmas parked nearby. But, the factory said, there were no explosions, as had been incorrectly reported.

LeftLaneNews Mobile Version

As I had offered before, one car on fire due to being submerged for several hours in 5-8 feet of storm water which caused 12V to short and cause a fire. The fire then spread to 15 cars nearby. Also, I was wrong - it wasn't 40-50 cars in the lot - more like 300.
Yeah, this is just bad luck. Somewhere on this thread someone posted a pic of a bunch of Infinities on fire after being swamped by saltwater. Those were not EV's. Everyone (including Elon) needs to lighten up on Fisker. I understand there is some bad blood based on the early work Henrik did for Tesla but at the end of the day, we should wish them the best and combine forces to get EV and PHEV's more widely adopted. Once PHEV owners realize they rarely use gas they will realize they can make the jump to an EV.