Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flickering Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen the issue twice after letting my car sit outside all night. Headlights "flicker" for a few seconds when I first turn it on. The flicker is more like a shadow moving in the lights, or shutters moving inside the headlights.

I never had this issue before the 2018.50 update. And both times that I had the issue were not very cold days compared to others we've had in my area (both days were probably the 30-40 °F range).

I'm just glad that this doesn't occur while driving, and lasts only a few seconds when I first turn the car on.

Seems related to 2018.50 to me. Never had it before but since the upgrade I've had it probably half the times I start up my (garaged) car.

Last night it happened a lot for several seconds while driving out on the road - I have a TeslaCam video just in case the non-believers come out.... Been cold here for months so I don't think it's temperature. I suspect Tesla might need to move on this pretty quickly if it might be considered a safety issue - I imagine the cops would be within their right to ticket someone with malfunctioning headlights?

Does anyone have this issue who isn't on 2018.50?

Managed to create a small GIF of the cam video, for those interested. Not great quality but the flickering is obvious after I pass the intersection at the beginning and continues as I pass cars. None of the light flicker is video artifacts and I wasn't going over rough ground or anything - the lights were literally turning on and off. Worst I've seen.

flicker4.gif

Yeah 2018.50 has been really buggy for me so far. I've never had my lights flicker at temps below zero until this update. In addition to that my display has frozen and rebooted twice in 2 days now. Never happened until the update either. Tons of other little bugs too. Headlights flickering is the worst issue though.

I've got the flickering too. It is less than 20F, and it was happening. I really have to put on my EE thinking cap about how this is firmware issue. Maybe they can control the max amperage draw for different sub modules and now there isn't enough reserve for the lights? In any case, annoying. They will have to come up with a fix.