Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read some place yesterday (don’t recall where, may even have been on this site but not this thread), that Model Y performance will be built at Giga Texas while Long Range will continue to be made in Fremont. It is all speculation at this point. It might be a little annoying if I get my Y on Sept 10th and the a month later Giga Texas Y’s start shipping with the updated front cast resulting in more range. Aside from 7 seater, tne thing I needed most is as much range as possible since I drive for work +- 130 miles round trip 5 to 6 days a week. That’s if I don‘t don‘t run any additional errands, hence the LR purchase vs Performance version.
Where do you work that you have sucha long commute?

I read some place yesterday (don’t recall where, may even have been on this site but not this thread), that Model Y performance will be built at Giga Texas while Long Range will continue to be made in Fremont. It is all speculation at this point. It might be a little annoying if I get my Y on Sept 10th and the a month later Giga Texas Y’s start shipping with the updated front cast resulting in more range. Aside from 7 seater, tne thing I needed most is as much range as possible since I drive for work +- 130 miles round trip 5 to 6 days a week. That’s if I don‘t don‘t run any additional errands, hence the LR purchase vs Performance version.
I hate to be this guy, but honestly the range increase is still truly unknown. I remember hearing Elon say 6% (again I need to look it up tomorrow after I sleep) extra range from the single cast front and back but we shall see. As for the performance, from a business standpoint I can tell you that’s a fat no. They need to get back to making model S and X at Fremont. The whole point was Texas to lead the way for MY (besides other things) and give Fremont MS/3/X priority. Not to say they will not make MY there but their priority will shift. Performance only fees made first because there is not a huge demand on them. People are only switching to get the car faster as they just jump the line (pay more money, get more priority it seems). As always, just my thoughts and opinions. Also, if you are driving that much…model 3 or S might be better for range. Remember the more you load in the MY (or any car really), the more range you will lose. Hopefully your work has a charger.

I hate to be this guy, but honestly the range increase is still truly unknown. I remember hearing Elon say 6% (again I need to look it up tomorrow after I sleep) extra range from the single cast front and back but we shall see. As for the performance, from a business standpoint I can tell you that’s a fat no. They need to get back to making model S and X at Fremont. The whole point was Texas to lead the way for MY (besides other things) and give Fremont MS/3/X priority. Not to say they will not make MY there but their priority will shift. Performance only fees made first because there is not a huge demand on them. People are only switching to get the car faster as they just jump the line (pay more money, get more priority it seems). As always, just my thoughts and opinions. Also, if you are driving that much…model 3 or S might be better for range. Remember the more you load in the MY (or any car really), the more range you will lose. Hopefully your work has a charger.
Didn’t want an S or a 3. The 3 is too small. Also need the space of the hatch back. 7 seats for the kids. 326 miles of range should do. Currently I’m stopping to fill up gas every two days. Don’t think I’ll need a charger at work as charging at home every two days should suffice using up 120 or so miles a day but I’m having one installed at both work amd home to be safe.
When the Cybertruck production starts I’ll be passing the Model Y to the wife. Ordered the middle model the night it was announced. Hopefully there will be the possibility to switch to a tri-motor. By the looks of it I’m in the first 30K ordered.

Didn’t want an S or a 3. The 3 is too small. Also need the space of the hatch back. 7 seats for the kids. 326 miles of range should do. Currently I’m stopping to fill up gas every two days. Don’t think I’ll need a charger at work as charging at home every two days should suffice using up 120 or so miles a day but I’m having one installed at both work amd home to be safe.
When the Cybertruck production starts I’ll be passing the Model Y to the wife. Ordered the middle model the night it was announced. Hopefully there will be the possibility to switch to a tri-motor. By the looks of it I’m in the first 30K ordered.
You might want to consider topping up the charge daily given the length of your commute, never know and these batteries don't mind it. I have it set to 80% and am only going above 90 on longer trips.

Reactions: Samier_RN
You might want to consider topping up the charge daily given the length of your commute, never know and these batteries don't mind it. I have it set to 80% and am only going above 90 on longer trips.
See, that is what I was thinking. I thought the commute was 120 forward and 120 back. In general, it is always best to have the range in case you need it, especially if your job will pay for it :D That is why I am glad hospitals are installing more EV chargers.

See, that is what I was thinking. I thought the commute was 120 forward and 120 back. In general, it is always best to have the range in case you need it, especially if your job will pay for it :D That is why I am glad hospitals are installing more EV chargers.
If 120 miles each way I’d probably want to shoot myself. Mind you, with traffic, if I don’t cut out by 4pm it can take me two hours to get home. If FSD was fully functional and I trusted it, that could be ideal but we are far from full on autonomy.
Unfortunately the “job” is me, which translates to “they’ll pay for it”. Five months before the pandemic started I decided to buy a business in WPB while living in NMB for the past 10!yrs. I won’t move the family. If I had a crystal ball… At least we survived, hopefully putting the worst of it behind us.
I figure I can charge nightly at home if needed (my 18’ home charger arrives Wednesday). I will probably install one at work as well or at least install a nema plug in case too was ever needed.

Reactions: Ormond
If 120 miles each way I’d probably want to shoot myself. Mind you, with traffic, if I don’t cut out by 4pm it can take me two hours to get home. If FSD was fully functional and I trusted it, that could be ideal but we are far from full on autonomy.
Unfortunately the “job” is me, which translates to “they’ll pay for it”. Five months before the pandemic started I decided to buy a business in WPB while living in NMB for the past 10!yrs. I won’t move the family. If I had a crystal ball… At least we survived, hopefully putting the worst of it behind us.
I figure I can charge nightly at home if needed (my 18’ home charger arrives Wednesday). I will probably install one at work as well or at least install a nema plug in case too was ever needed.
They say you live where you feel most at home, because jobs and career paths change... I live in Delray but my office is in Sunrise and relocating to Cooper City end of next year.

Just had to order a NEMA 14-50 extension cord on Amazon yesterday. I underestimated my charging scenario by 1.75 feet (didn't account for how the cable was going to be ran).

I talked to Tesla today and changed my order to a MYP. I was worried about my trade-in value decreasing with a January EDD for the LR. 4-5 weeks and counting.
I find it nuts that people are changing orders from LR to P for quicker delivery. Especially if the LR was ordered during the time when there was the larger gap in the price. In your case it may make sense if your trade in value is high. By the time I change the wheels, add the spoiler, paint the calipers red and maybe add the performance boost I guess I’ll be at the price of a P. Wanted the longer range and 7 seats which canceled out the P option for me. I ordered May 9th but held my ground. Pickup is set for Spet 10th.

I find it nuts that people are changing orders from LR to P for quicker delivery. Especially if the LR was ordered during the time when there was the larger gap in the price. In your case it may make sense if your trade in value is high. By the time I change the wheels, add the spoiler, paint the calipers red and maybe add the performance boost I guess I’ll be at the price of a P. Wanted the longer range and 7 seats which canceled out the P option for me. I ordered May 9th but held my ground. Pickup is set for Spet 10th.
Agreed. At this stage in the game it’s +$14K to switch to a P in my case. That is definitely not an insignificant amount (26% increase)!

Reactions: Samier_RN
I must say, I gave my girlfriend a migraine today after going balls to the wall with acceleration at traffic lights😂 The acceleration makes me feel like a 12 year old on the nitro rollercoaster at 6 flags. MYP for the win

• Funny
I must say, I gave my girlfriend a migraine today after going balls to the wall with acceleration at traffic lights😂 The acceleration makes me feel like a 12 year old on the nitro rollercoaster at 6 flags. MYP for the win
Random question, did you tint the windshield? If so where or how do you put up your SunPass? I have never tinted a windshield (for heat) I don’t know if to put it up before then tint or get suction cup version which I am afraid will rattle.

Fair. I debated with my wife over this. Honestly, I’m equally impatient but ultimately, I don’t want to lose on the trade-in value, and it’s not an option to trade my current car in elsewhere and go with one car for our household until January.

It will be fine get it tinted. let it sit out in the heat wait couple days stick sun pass right back up no issues. i had 70% xpel on front best tint in my opinion.
That’s what I was thinking of doing. Just not sure if to do sticker or transponder with suction cups. Debating the screen saver of spiegen. Saw it has a weird rainbow glare with sunglasses.

Random question, did you tint the windshield? If so where or how do you put up your SunPass? I have never tinted a windshield (for heat) I don’t know if to put it up before then tint or get suction cup version which I am afraid will rattle.
Good question. I’ll be putting the clear film XPEL 85% ceramic on my windshield for heat, never gave the SUNPASS a thought. There is smaller version of the suction cap type that I currently have which does not rattle. Bought it years ago. SUNPASS used to refer to it as the portable unit for people who change cars regularly. I didn’t like the large one at the time nor a fan of glueing stuff on my glass. It does not rattle plus is hidden by the rear view mirror if placed in just the right spot.

Reactions: Crisro
Fair. I debated with my wife over this. Honestly, I’m equally impatient but ultimately, I don’t want to lose on the trade-in value, and it’s not an option to trade my current car in elsewhere and go with one car for our household until January.
I mean it really comes to the buyer if they want to spend more. Overall, with taxes and the cost difference, I doubt your car trade in would see a $8000 loss by January. For example, my trade it was $17,104 at the end of July. End of August it was $17586. I’m going to test towards the end of September but carvana gives you 30 days to actually give them the car and I love it because I can keep testing and finally sell when I see a dip. I’ve only spent $14000 total on the car so for me my results are different than others. Now, sure I might lose $500 or maybe even $2000 on my trade in but is it worth the $8000 value of the MYP, personally no. That’s the thing though, all personal preference. Is the speed cool, sure. It’s also a ticket waiting to happen if done foolishly. And Tesla, regardless of model, all have wonderful acceleration, just performance models are more for the thrill, I’m over that phase in my life. I drove ambulances as a medic for a good chunk of my life and don’t miss the speeding that much lololol. But hey, no matter what we all love Tesla and their cars, I just like to voice my opinion when it comes to money but as always, you do you boo.