Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flufferbot, 'Hollowgate' and the hollow floor noise

Do you have the hollow sound?

• No and my car's pre May 2018

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • No and my cars post May 2018

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • Yes and my car's pre May 2018

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Yes and my car's post May 2018

Votes: 154 82.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having pretty much the exact same issue in my model 3 which I took delivery of at the end of Sept 2018. I spoke with an SC before my upcoming appointment and they told me that the TSB is only for cars made before December 2017 and of course I said I'm having the same issues and I see others are as well (with cars made later). They said they'll take a look. They have not made me feel confident in their ability to resolve this.

I discovered this myself a few weeks ago, but I'm in my 20's with no kids so it's not an issue for me. Might be a different story if I frequently had people jumping around back there.

Are people really getting "embarrassed" about what other people will think? Who cares? Seems silly and superficial... talk about the epitome of first world problems.

Reactions: TheDom
I discovered this myself a few weeks ago, but I'm in my 20's with no kids so it's not an issue for me. Might be a different story if I frequently had people jumping around back there.

Are people really getting "embarrassed" about what other people will think? Who cares? Seems silly and superficial... talk about the epitome of first world problems.

Personally I probably won't bother having them mess with it. It only really happens when the kids drop stuff, and the only thing really attention grabbing is that it is a different sound than a "normal" car would have. Being embarrassed about it seems silly to me, but to each their own I guess.

So in light of Musk interrupting meetings with Monty Python clips, would y'all characterize the sound in the back seat as more "woody" or "tinny" in nature?

Just watched some of the recent Autoline After Hours with Sandy Monroe. He said some interesting things about the Model 3 frame, including how it is completely over-engineered. Among the things he said is that the frame should have incorporated the battery back into it to for frame stiffness to save materials/lower weight. Siemens apparently did stress analysis on the frame and it shows that crash safety is the same with or without the battery pack in place.

So to me, now, that banging hollow sound is a sign of how protected that space is that the battery pack sits in. I think I don't mind that aspect of the over engineering at all - in an accident, I'd want the battery to be protected so as to give me time/opportunity to get out and away from the car in case something catastrophic happens.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Since I was back at the service center today, I went ahead and brought up this issue. Parts are a national backorder right now, it is a known issue and there is a fix. They said they take out the carpet and seats and glue down some stuff that removes the noise. They will contact me when the parts are available (not any time soon). They told me priority is of course going to new production cars, but eventually they will be able to fix our old cars.

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
Since I was back at the service center today, I went ahead and brought up this issue. Parts are a national backorder right now, it is a known issue and there is a fix. They said they take out the carpet and seats and glue down some stuff that removes the noise. They will contact me when the parts are available (not any time soon). They told me priority is of course going to new production cars, but eventually they will be able to fix our old cars.
Interesting. Let us know if you feel it helps with sound deadening in the cabin. That would be worth it right there as the tinny noise is only an issue (in my instance) if you know its there for the most part, or a passenger taps their feet or drops an object.

Just too delivery(pickup) of an inventory Model 3 LR RWD. Not sure the production date, i will check sticker tomorrow and update this post. It has flexing metal issue in the rear footwell. Primarily in the center behind the console. I have emailed my OA along with about 9 other things that need fixing (mostly paint).

Here is a video of the sound.

I'd be curious what this was noted as in your service order so I know what to ask for in the future. Eventually, after several calls, a tech on the phone said they are familiar with the issue I was describing and it is caused by one of about five different things. They have tightened the bolts/associated components in two contributing areas and thus far, I've been golden. Then again, I was not really hearing it with people in the back (I seldom drive with anyone) as much as flexing when pulling into/out of drive ways or making U-turns when it was sub 30 out.

I'd be curious what this was noted as in your service order so I know what to ask for in the future. Eventually, after several calls, a tech on the phone said they are familiar with the issue I was describing and it is caused by one of about five different things. They have tightened the bolts/associated components in two contributing areas and thus far, I've been golden. Then again, I was not really hearing it with people in the back (I seldom drive with anyone) as much as flexing when pulling into/out of drive ways or making U-turns when it was sub 30 out.
I told them it sounds like a tin can when anything taps on the floor. I have no idea what they noted because Tesla never gives me a service record like other manufacturers.

I told them it sounds like a tin can when anything taps on the floor. I have no idea what they noted because Tesla never gives me a service record like other manufacturers.
Email your specific SA or just the general SC address and ask for your RO's. They will email them to you. Now, you probably can't take them as gospel because mine are usually ~80% accurate, but at least you will have a copy for your records of what they think they did/attempted...

I guess the material that the "flufferbot" was trying to install was needed after all.
The added insulation and filling the cavity void really deadened the sound and provided additional support for the floor.
So much for speeding up the line by eliminating the part.

Time to get the "fluffer bot" out of storage and back on the line.
Maybe changing the material to something that the fluffer bot could handle would have been a better solution.
Sounds like an easy fix. Just use a stiffer material. They need to do this to all future cars produced.

I guess the material that the "flufferbot" was trying to install was needed after all.
The added insulation and filling the cavity void really deadened the sound and provided additional support for the floor.
So much for speeding up the line by eliminating the part.

Were you able to have Service add the insulation to your car? I'm bringing the car in for unrelated issues next week, and I was curious if bringing this other issue up would do anything...