Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flufferbot, 'Hollowgate' and the hollow floor noise

Do you have the hollow sound?

• No and my car's pre May 2018

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • No and my cars post May 2018

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • Yes and my car's pre May 2018

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Yes and my car's post May 2018

Votes: 154 82.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I guess it's nothing to worry about if they are still making them like that.
While it may not cause any mechanical problems, it does effect the user experience. Makes the car feels flimsy. I suspect the lack of this mat is also responsible for more tire noise and popping metal sound when supercharging in low temperature.
P3D+ Sheet metal pop sound

I'm a little disappointed that Tesla doesn't offer a solution and still making the model 3 this way.

While it may not cause any mechanical problems, it does effect the user experience. Makes the car feels flimsy. I suspect the lack of this mat is also responsible for more tire noise and popping metal sound when supercharging in low temperature.
P3D+ Sheet metal pop sound

I'm a little disappointed that Tesla doesn't offer a solution and still making the model 3 this way.

I asked my service adviser and he confirmed there is no solution from engineering at this time but it is being investigated. I doubt there would ever be a 'fix'. They just wanted to save a buck.

Since I was back at the service center today, I went ahead and brought up this issue. Parts are a national backorder right now, it is a known issue and there is a fix. They said they take out the carpet and seats and glue down some stuff that removes the noise. They will contact me when the parts are available (not any time soon). They told me priority is of course going to new production cars, but eventually they will be able to fix our old cars.

I have this issue, too. Any updates?

Was crawling around back there to install an OBD harness and was like wtf is wrong with the floor! Googled and came upon this thread. Glad to hear it’s normal, took me 1.5 years to discover so not bothering to try and fix it.

• Funny
Reactions: mpt
I know this is an old thread that died out but I scheduled a service appointment about it because I was going in for the battery breather issue anyway. This is what they ordered to fix it. I will post pictures when it's installed and let you know if the floor is still soft and noisy.

Screenshot_20201019-201227.png

Any updates?

Sorry I forgot. Tesla backed out and said they would fix it but I would have to pay for it?? I was a bit confused by this. They have floor panel patches that they apparently made to fix it but it's not covered under warranty because all cars have the issue now.

I told them not to fix it because I'm not paying.

Tesla has the worse warranty service I have ever experienced. Then they replaced my battery breather valves and made it seem like they were doing me a favor. They told me it's not really an issue and it's a good will repair. Meanwhile I have not heard a loud thump in the morning since. They pretty much avoid fixing 90% of things and if they do fix something it's a favor now.