Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog Lights Gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original rear seat belt slots are stylish and very narrow. but they caused issues where the belt must be pulled out at a very specific angle for it to work easily. And over time the belt could fray due to it rubbing improperly when pulling out.

The new ones have much larger openings, aren't quite as slick looking (but aren't ugly in any way), but reportedly function much better. Take a look at the new ones if there's any available at the svc center.

The service-center retrofitted my rear seat belts, but the exterior slot is still the same. They changed some parts behind the exterior plastic trim piece. They definitely work a LOT better. And they still look more stylish than the current ones. Best of both worlds.

I have it on good authority that the fog lights are a very easy retrofit. They are integrated into the cornering light assembly, so you just need to order two new cornering light assemblies w/ fog lights and replace the existing ones. This may require a front bumper removal, but shouldn't be too labor intensive. I also have it on good authority that we will likely see fog light retrofits at a reasonable cost, but won't be seeing parking sensor retrofits at all due to the difficulty of doing that and the logistics involved.

To those who are "owed" fog lights from past orders, it should be a very easy thing to do.

Yesterday was at the San Rafael SC for the fog light install/retrofit (I was one of those in the gap who expected to have them installed a part of my build before they were discontinued). They are indeed one piece assemblies, took about 90 minutes for the SC to install. Here is the info from the invoice:

Complaint Narrative: Customer was under the impression his vehicle would come with foglights. Per Jerome install Fog Lights.
Cause: Customer requests fog lamps be installed.
Correction: Lamp - Fog - Front - LH
Installed LH front fog lamp.
Part Qty
LAMP ASY - FRT FOG/SD Reflex - SAE (LH) 1.00(6005913-00-C)
Correction: Lamp - Fog - Front - RHInstalled RH front fog lamp.
Part Qty
LAMP ASY - FRT FOG/SD Reflex - SAE (RH) 1.00(6005914-00-C)

Head's up to anyone going in for the retrofit- I had mine done 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I discovered that on the software version screen (hit the Tesla logo on top center of the 17" display) that the color and wheels were no longer accurate. Apparently I now have a signature red P85 with 19" wheels. Not a big deal. Unfortunately today I discovered that the controls for my heated seats are gone. Both of these items I believe come from a config file, which had to be edited to enable the fog light controls. So I'll be taking another trip to the service center.

If you have fog lights retrofitted, you might want to check that everything else is still functional before you leave.

Andrew

Head's up to anyone going in for the retrofit- I had mine done 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I discovered that on the software version screen (hit the Tesla logo on top center of the 17" display) that the color and wheels were no longer accurate. Apparently I now have a signature red P85 with 19" wheels. Not a big deal. Unfortunately today I discovered that the controls for my heated seats are gone. Both of these items I believe come from a config file, which had to be edited to enable the fog light controls. So I'll be taking another trip to the service center.

If you have fog lights retrofitted, you might want to check that everything else is still functional before you leave.

Andrew

They must have wiped your screen with microfiber while in the config editing mode :)

Yesterday was at the San Rafael SC for the fog light install/retrofit (I was one of those in the gap who expected to have them installed a part of my build before they were discontinued). They are indeed one piece assemblies, took about 90 minutes for the SC to install.

I had mine done about 2 weeks ago. They showed me the part, and indeed the front end needs to be disassembled for installation (I originally thought it would be as easy as simply plopping the new bulb in). It took about 4 hours to do the install, but I got a loaner to run errands in (p85, weeeee!). My config file was updated w/o error.

Just scheduled my retrofit - for those of you interested, it $1400, seems to be mostly for labor. Its more than I really wanted to spend, but I also have to deal with Tule Fog all winter long, so its worth it for me.

O,
1) Which service center, and
2) I'm assuming you are paying because you are beyond the cutoff where fog lights were included in tech package?

It's not by VIN but by when the order was "booked". My VIN is 08945, configured in 12/2012, finalized initially 2/16/2013, added SC+air on 2/27/2013. I was told by ownership that complimentary installation is only offered to those that booked between 1/18/2013 and 2/7/2013.

It's not by VIN but by when the order was "booked". My VIN is 08945, configured in 12/2012, finalized initially 2/16/2013, added SC+air on 2/27/2013. I was told by ownership that complimentary installation is only offered to those that booked between 1/18/2013 and 2/7/2013.

Not quite sure where you got the "booked dates," was that from Tesla? My understanding is that it's based on order finalization date ... I don't know the exact cutoff. I finalized the beginning of December 2012 when the tech package included fog lights. I took delivery in April (delay because of MC Red). No fog lights but I expect a retrofit due to the stated tech package features at the time of finalization.

Not quite sure where you got the "booked dates," was that from Tesla? My understanding is that it's based on order finalization date ... I don't know the exact cutoff. I finalized the beginning of December 2012 when the tech package included fog lights. I took delivery in April (delay because of MC Red). No fog lights but I expect a retrofit due to the stated tech package features at the time of finalization.

Same here, and we got the fog lights installed at our sc a couple of weeks back. It was based on finalized date, not VIN.