Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog Lights Gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P85+ that was ordered when fog lights were included with the tech package but was delivered without them. A few weeks ago (1st-2nd week of July) I emailed ownership@ and inquired as to the status of a retrofit. I received an email reply the next day stating that retrofit information was not yet available, but that Tesla would be contacting owners impacted by this issue when they had more information.

I am happy to report that I received a phone call from the Rockville SC today to schedule an appointment to have the fog lights installed. I'm scheduled for next week, the week of 9/9.

I have a P85+ that was ordered when fog lights were included with the tech package but was delivered without them. A few weeks ago (1st-2nd week of July) I emailed ownership@ and inquired as to the status of a retrofit. I received an email reply the next day stating that retrofit information was not yet available, but that Tesla would be contacting owners impacted by this issue when they had more information.

I am happy to report that I received a phone call from the Rockville SC today to schedule an appointment to have the fog lights installed. I'm scheduled for next week, the week of 9/9.

Glad to hear this. I'll wait a few days to see if I get contacted before reaching out.

You'll update everyone, I hope, regarding how useful they are.

Good news andrewket....

My understanding is that the foglights that were to be introduced were to be new units that had been improved. As I did a bit of campaigning for all of us believing we were getting them, I also ended up getting them on my car back in May, also installed at the Rockville SC. However, they were the original versions (I'm supposed to get a swap out for the new ones).

When you go for the service, you might want to confirm you are getting the v2.0 lights. If you wouldn't mind sharing with us if they indeed are the new ones (and how they perform), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Good news andrewket....

My understanding is that the foglights that were to be introduced were to be new units that had been improved. As I did a bit of campaigning for all of us believing we were getting them, I also ended up getting them on my car back in May, also installed at the Rockville SC. However, they were the original versions (I'm supposed to get a swap out for the new ones).

When you go for the service, you might want to confirm you are getting the v2.0 lights. If you wouldn't mind sharing with us if they indeed are the new ones (and how they perform), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I just assumed it would be the new ones. I'll definitely ask. Do you know the part numbers?

Really? I figured those of us who got the v1.0 lights got what we were promised and that was that. I guess I'll put that on my "ask list" for my next service visit as well.

If I received the fog lights when the car was delivered I would not expect a free swap to the new design. But for those of us who did not receive the fog lights and should have, now that Tesla is making good on Elon's promise I am expecting the new design. I believe that's what he offered back in March.

I just assumed it would be the new ones. I'll definitely ask. Do you know the part numbers?

No, I don't... when I last talked to the Rockville SC they didn't even know new ones were coming...

- - - Updated - - -

If I received the fog lights when the car was delivered I would not expect a free swap to the new design. But for those of us who did not receive the fog lights and should have, now that Tesla is making good on Elon's promise I am expecting the new design. I believe that's what he offered back in March.

That's rather how I understand it as well.

...but that Tesla would be contacting owners impacted by this issue when they had more information.

Has anyone else been contacted about this? I'm just trying to figure out if they are really going to contact all of us, or if each of us have to raise our own stink. I would hope the former, but have lost some faith given other past promises (lighted vanity mirrors, etc).

I had to delay my appointment to later in the week. I did confirm with the Rockville SC that the fog lights they are installing are the new-style lights. They're also doing a bunch of campaign work- rear window clasp, and a bunch of squeak/noise related remedies.

While awaiting user reviews of the new style v2.0 foglights, we might wish to ponder the FUNDAMENTAL DESIGN FLAW that exacerbates these issues. For the 2nd issue refer:

<http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16359-Snowfall-Glare?p=340266&viewfull=1#post340266>

Unlike the Roadster headlights, which have upward light reflecting surfaces BLACKED OUT, the MS has these surfaces bright & shiny. Major NO-NO. I bet the manufacturer warned Tesla about this but was told "we like the way it looks". No comment.

I was not confronted with this issue until May 1st since that was the first time the snow I ran into was large flakes. Fog does the same thing but I've been lucky so far with the MS.

Ok, what was the 1st issue?? The paramount requirement with FOG LAMPS is that they be run ALONE - without low (or high) beams. Only that way is the glare sufficiently removed from the driver's vision so she can see the road and anything approaching from ahead. FOG LIGHTS ON means LOW BEAMS OFF. No wonder TM had trouble evaluating their fog lights.

>The only problem I have had with fog lights (all cars that I have had fog lights on) is that you have to have your headlights ON for the fog lamps to be lit. [dsmith___]

Bingo! DSmith got it right. Before they were an option folks had to install their own, so they had the option of running them SOLO. Today I think we should install them ourselves so we can have a REAL TOGGLE SWITCH under the dash. Always there when you need it.
--