Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog Lights Gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine, delivered yesterday, VIN in sig, does not have the fog lights. Don't think I'll need them in PHX (fog? what's that and we fortunately don't have many potholes). That said, would still like to have them for the look, and I'm quite sure it was still on the specs list when I finalized. But I dont want them enough to make a stink of it. I do want them to let me return my unused front/rear/trunk mat sets since those were added unexpectedly. I'll even apply the credit towards the service plan. Need to contact Tesla about that one.

Mine, delivered yesterday, VIN in sig, does not have the fog lights. Don't think I'll need them in PHX (fog? what's that and we fortunately don't have many potholes). That said, would still like to have them for the look, and I'm quite sure it was still on the specs list when I finalized. But I dont want them enough to make a stink of it. I do want them to let me return my unused front/rear/trunk mat sets since those were added unexpectedly. I'll even apply the credit towards the service plan. Need to contact Tesla about that one.

I agree on all points, I'm in the same boat. I'd love to return my unused mats. I haven't even received my car yet!

Eesh..not again. I just got over the Alcantara debacle. Seriously, I wonder what features will be left in my car when I finally get my fabulous red? Will the steering wheel be there? Who knows? Since it isn't listed in the specs for the car and using the logic on display here in this forum that it is OK to delete since not listed...it is a crap shoot (insert heavy sarcasm here). I live in the mountains where we have quite a bit of fog. I have used the fog lights on my Audi plenty of times and found them useful. If the post from Elon is real....well, I find that extremely disappointing. Instead of fixing the problem, TM chose to delete the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Jomo, can you post a pic of the light assembly?

I have the tech package. I confirmed tonight, with someone looking at my lights as I switched each area on and off (regular headlights, DRL, fog) that I DO have fog lights, and my VIN is 82XX. I had to have my foot on the brake to activate both the DRL and the fog lights, since I was in Park, which is why I needed someone to actually stand there and watch the lights as I sequenced them on/off.

Last edited:
Jomo, can you post a pic of the light assembly?
IMG_1536.jpg

Best pic I could get of it. Looks like the fog light has been deleted and replaced with a dummy placeholder. Unless that is some kind of bulb, but sure doesnt look like it.

Thanks Jomo. It looks like they just covered up the hole with a cheap looking cap. Not the quality that what one expects in a $105K car, sadly. I expect mine to look just as crappy when I get it next month.

Thanks Jomo. It looks like they just covered up the hole with a cheap looking cap. Not the quality that what one expects in a $105K car, sadly. I expect mine to look just as crappy when I get it next month.

I find it hard to believe Tesla would try to get away with this....................they must be kidding to put such a CHEAP looking cover on a $100k car. I've got the "fog lights" on mine and would really be PO's if I had this tacky cover!

Best pic I could get of it. Looks like the fog light has been deleted and replaced with a dummy placeholder. Unless that is some kind of bulb, but sure doesnt look like it.

Jomo, do you see the FOG toggle in the lights section in Controls?! Or, has 4.4 the ability to distinguish between cars such as yours without fogs and earlier ones with?!

I really hope this is a prank...

Or at least just a temporary solution til they can redesign the fog lights to something that works better. "deleting" by inserting a plastic cover, just makes the car look ugly and seem like it's missing something.

I'm disappointed. My fog lights on P6117 may not do a lot in the fog (never met any that really did), but they do help with deer spotting as they provide some additional lateral light.

Does anyone know if 4.4 disables them on cars with the physical lights? If so, I won't download 4.4.

Jomo, do you see the FOG toggle in the lights section in Controls?! Or, has 4.4 the ability to distinguish between cars such as yours without fogs and earlier ones with?!

I'll check later today. But when I went through the screens in my initial setup and familiarization, I recall seeing that button on the controls screen. Which made me think I have them. But then I checked and took the pics last night. I'll check again. Wonder what happens if I try to turn them on. probably nothing. I am on 4.4 as reported earlier, thats what came with the car.

I'm disappointed. My fog lights on P6117 may not do a lot in the fog (never met any that really did), but they do help with deer spotting as they provide some additional lateral light.

Does anyone know if 4.4 disables them on cars with the physical lights? If so, I won't download 4.4.

I am on 4.4, and am able to use my foglights.

Well I'm not gonna get too excited about this until its confirmed that existing owners will be getting them. After that's confirmed, ill say something like SWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!! Until then ill be a dud. :p

Fair enough.

Side note: It appears someone hasn't been following our conversation between threads, only read the above, and decided I was being condescending ... so they gave me negative rep for that. Unlike most of us, he didn't have the cojones to sign his negative comment. In any case, I'm looking forward to the party you throw when it's confirmed that existing owners are receiving. :) As to the negative rep ... pffffyt. How silly is that?

I trimmed the picture, but yes, it has a curved LED light pipe at the outer edge as well. This lights up with the main headlamps.

View attachment 17158

If they could extend that light pipe instead of just putting on a crappy looking cap over the fog light, I could live with the change and the lack of fog light. The cheap plastic cap though is not really worthy of such an expensive car, it just looks like a cheap fix.

Tesla-Model_S_2013_1600x1200_wallpaper_15b.jpg

Something like this (Excuse my crappy photoediting skills.)