Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog Lights Gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the tech package but not the fog lights which were an extra option. See below for my delivery date a few weeks ago.

There are 4 scenarios:
- fog lights in tech package, car delivered with Gen 1 fog lights -- this group may be able to upgrade, but unclear if this is "free"
- fog lights in tech package when ordered, car delivered without -- this group was offered the free retrofit.
- fog lights removed from tech package prior to ordering, not avail as a seperate option
- fog lights avail as a seperate option.

I fell into the third scenario. If I lived in a place with frequent fog, I'd consider paying for the retrofit...

There is quite a bit of variability in this regard…
Standard., sort of Requirements for head lamps, auxiliary driving lamps and front fog lamps. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
at least for trucks. Auto lamps are regulated by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and fog lamp activation is explicitly excluded. Interestingly, fog light regulation has been slow to finalize NHTSA Notice: Glare from Headlamps and other Front Mounted Lamps - FMVSS 108. There may be state specific rules.

Yellow fog lights are ok in Maine.
"§1909-A. Fog lights
1. Fog lights. A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lights upon the front of the motor vehicle that emit amber or white light as long as the rays from the lights do not shine more than 2 feet above the road at a distance of 30 feet. A fog light mounted higher than the center of the main headlights may not be illuminated while a motor vehicle is being operated on a public way."
Title 29-A, §1909-A: Fog lights

Ten years ago I modified the wiring in my CR-V to allow fog lights "in lieu of" headlamps because we call my neighborhood Fog Hill for a reason; the last quarter mile home is often better in the dark than with headlamps so a little mod on this back road is well worth the risk of violating some reg. Would a T need software hack instead of just a wire harness fix?

Last edited:
There are 4 scenarios:
- fog lights in tech package, car delivered with Gen 1 fog lights -- this group may be able to upgrade, but unclear if this is "free"
- fog lights in tech package when ordered, car delivered without -- this group was offered the free retrofit.
- fog lights removed from tech package prior to ordering, not avail as a seperate option
- fog lights avail as a seperate option.
I fell into the third scenario. If I lived in a place with frequent fog, I'd consider paying for the retrofit...

Hi ZBB:
If I finalized my order on 11/27/12 w/the tech pkg & received my car on 6/15/13 without fog lights, would they retrofit them for me?

For free?

I finalized January and have the tech package which said fog lights, delivered May 4th without fog lights. Had to e-mail ownership and they said I was due fog lights, I had to forward that e-mail to my service center and made and appointment to have them installed with some other items that needed attention 2 weeks ago.

I've found that even in light foggy settings up in the mountains the foglights do a minimal job. I'm a tad curious as to whether or not anyone added aftermarket fogs?

Personally, I have found the Gen 1 fog lights (the ones Elon deemed inadequate) to be at least as good as any other OEM fog lights I've had experience with over the past few years. That's not to say they're great, but they do work and do add a bit of ground light in adverse conditions.

I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of those who've had experience with both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 lamps.

Personally, I have found the Gen 1 fog lights (the ones Elon deemed inadequate) to be at least as good as any other OEM fog lights I've had experience with over the past few years. That's not to say they're great, but they do work and do add a bit of ground light in adverse conditions.

I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of those who've had experience with both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 lamps.

The gen two lights have a more defined horizontal "stripe" pattern down low, with what appears to be a sharper cutoff so as to not impair oncoming drivers, and/or reflect fog glare back in to your eyes. I've driven in fog a couple of times with both, and the newer ones performed better.

While neither version may be considered the best fog lights in the world, I found them to make a difference.

The gen two lights have a more defined horizontal "stripe" pattern down low, with what appears to be a sharper cutoff so as to not impair oncoming drivers, and/or reflect fog glare back in to your eyes. I've driven in fog a couple of times with both, and the newer ones performed better.

While neither version may be considered the best fog lights in the world, I found them to make a difference.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you have Gen 1 lights replaced with Gen 2, or did you simply have the opportunity to drive a newer car with the newer fog lights?

I finalized 2/5 but didn't get to sign pMVPA until later in the month. So do I qualify for the fog lights? I thought I remembered having them in the tech package, but 2 visits to the SvC, and I've been told my VIN is too high. I asked them to check to be certain and indicated those with higher VINs were getting them. My car's in for annual service right now, so will see if they agree tomorrow.

edit: yay. they have agreed that my car gets the fog lights.

Last edited:
I had my Gen 1 fog lights replaced with Gen 2 lights. The cost was $1,550 ($900 parts & $650 in labor). I didn't think this was a great deal, but when driving with the Gen 1 fog lights I encountered some serious fog conditions in the Arizona White Mountain region. The speed limit was 65mph, but I had to slow down to 35mph because I was outrunning my low beams. The Gen 1 fog lights only made things worst due to a lot of reflected glare. They lit up the road about 5-6 feet in front of me, but after that point the glare was too much. I decided right there and then that my safety was worth the upgrade cost and scheduled to have the Gen 2 fog lights installed. Since I've had the Gen 2 fog lights, I have not encountered any more fog, so I can't say it they would have helped in visibility, but the fact that the beams are very low and have a definite cutoff, should help.

I had my Gen 1 fog lights replaced with Gen 2 lights. The cost was $1,550 ($900 parts & $650 in labor). I didn't think this was a great deal, but when driving with the Gen 1 fog lights I encountered some serious fog conditions in the Arizona White Mountain region. The speed limit was 65mph, but I had to slow down to 35mph because I was outrunning my low beams. The Gen 1 fog lights only made things worst due to a lot of reflected glare. They lit up the road about 5-6 feet in front of me, but after that point the glare was too much. I decided right there and then that my safety was worth the upgrade cost and scheduled to have the Gen 2 fog lights installed. Since I've had the Gen 2 fog lights, I have not encountered any more fog, so I can't say it they would have helped in visibility, but the fact that the beams are very low and have a definite cutoff, should help.

Yeeow. Please let us know if you encounter another case of fog.

If the Gen 2 fog lights really are a lot better, then your description of the Gen1 lights indicates that this should be a recall issue and Tesla should eat the costs.

Yeeow. Please let us know if you encounter another case of fog.

If the Gen 2 fog lights really are a lot better, then your description of the Gen1 lights indicates that this should be a recall issue and Tesla should eat the costs.

Though I've been conducting a car reliability survey for nearly a decade, I'm not aware of any precedent for a recall on this basis.

I also got fog lights installed for free a couple of weeks ago. Very happy that I got them as NJ has been unusually foggy as of late...

I know this discussion has been dormant for a while but I'm going to be taking my car in for its first annual service this month and was planning to ask for the fog lights that were in the tech package when I finalized but not when I received my car, as has been discussed here.

What is the best way to go about it? Should I email ownership first to bring to their attention I am owed the fog lights, or should I mention it to the SC when I make my service appointment and let them clear it with ownership, or... ?

Thanks sharing your experiences about getting fog lights as we were promised.

I know this discussion has been dormant for a while but I'm going to be taking my car in for its first annual service this month and was planning to ask for the fog lights that were in the tech package when I finalized but not when I received my car, as has been discussed here.

What is the best way to go about it? Should I email ownership first to bring to their attention I am owed the fog lights, or should I mention it to the SC when I make my service appointment and let them clear it with ownership, or... ?

Thanks sharing your experiences about getting fog lights as we were promised.
My SC said they cannot do the retro fit without authorization from ownership, so e-mail ownership and request the fog lights and then e-mail the authorization to your SC.