Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's correct that the A-pillar vent was originally planned, but then dropped. It's visible in this prototype model S:

Dammit! They have a Beta in the Toronto store, and I forgot to check that one out! Oh well, another excuse to go back to the store :smile:

One other thing I did while I was there was to turn on the defrost and run my hand across the vent. I noticed two things: The airflow seems to only come from the center portion of the grill, and because of the grill's style. it just seemed to blow out without being particularly directed at the windshield. When I got back to my own car, I noticed its defroster vent is only in the center portion of the dash, but it has (fixed) directional louvers that do direct the airflow at and across the glass. (I also have the side window vents too).

Unrelated, but the store's car had firmware 4.0 and I noticed that the drop down for the driver profiles gets blocked out by the backup camera screen. Only the backup camera, though. It drops (properly) on top of other screens in the top frame.

Unrelated, but the store's car had firmware 4.0 and I noticed that the drop down for the driver profiles gets blocked out by the backup camera screen. Only the backup camera, though. It drops (properly) on top of other screens in the top frame.

This happens if you have more than one Homelink entry as well, but it's fixed in 4.1, the camera screen drops below any open menus.

Don't have a Model S or EV (yet), but I just had fogging happen in my ICE car (it's probably one of the coldest winters I have experienced in the Bay Area outside temps about 45 degree F, plus it was raining). Basically having the AC blasting at the windshield was effective, even with the temperature set to cool (no heating, because like another poster, I don't like the stuffy feeling). I pressed recirculate to reduce the A/C load (big mistake it turns out) and immediately the window fogged. I had to turn the fans to max for a long while before the windows cleared.

Basically the A/C is most important because it dehumidifies the air (humidity causes fogging). Heating might make things worse unless the temperature is set really high and the hot air has a good "shot" at the glass such that it actually warms the glass (because fogging is caused by the glass being colder than the air inside the car). And whatever you do don't use recirculate, because it keeps all humidity all inside the car.

Dammit! They have a Beta in the Toronto store, and I forgot to check that one out! Oh well, another excuse to go back to the store :smile:

One other thing I did while I was there was to turn on the defrost and run my hand across the vent. I noticed two things: The airflow seems to only come from the center portion of the grill, and because of the grill's style. it just seemed to blow out without being particularly directed at the windshield. When I got back to my own car, I noticed its defroster vent is only in the center portion of the dash, but it has (fixed) directional louvers that do direct the airflow at and across the glass. (I also have the side window vents too).

my jeep Cherokee also had only a center vent. I can tell you in Alberta winters full of passengers. Defog could not clear about 8 inches in from pilar edges. It did not have A/C thou.

I just had very useful series of e-mail exchanges with Kimbal Musk, George B, and Joost de Vries concerning the new ventilation ducts, and winter tires - specifically whether bi-annual tire swaps are included in the annual maintenance in Canada (which I posted in the Canada - Winter Tires thread). The gist of the information is below.

I must say that I have been thoroughly impressed by the level of interaction these three busy individuals have shown in addressing my concerns, taking the time to reply promptly and personally to a single customer. I made sure to note this in my replies to them.

Quoted from Joost de Vries:

"Regarding the windshield defroster functionality (or lack thereof), we got the 1st prototype parts last week and we have been testing them in a –30c cold weather chamber to make sure they will do the job. The good news is they do and we should have parts available late next week. I have requested my Service Managers to start reaching out to existing customers in the affected areas to schedule a service appointment to do the change. For new vehicle builds into Canada it will be a Service fix before delivery as the final production tooling will kick off only later this year. The retrofit on the defrosting is pretty straightforward. We loosen the A pillar trims left and right, lift out the dashboard top, remove the mesh screen. Insert the new directional air flow pieces, install the new mesh screen and reassembly the dashboard top and A pillar trim. It'll be less than an hour work. I am confident our customers will regard this issue as resolved once they experience the new venting system."

Unfortunately the tooling for the new ductwork will not be ready for my car's production (est. delivery march-april), so it will be a retrofit for me. Still great news !

Last edited:
The retrofit on the defrosting is pretty straightforward. We loosen the A pillar trims left and right, lift out the dashboard top, remove the mesh screen. Insert the new directional air flow pieces, install the new mesh screen and reassembly the dashboard top and A pillar trim. It'll be less than an hour work.

It is good news because we all need this to work properly but I hate the idea that they are going to open things up and go into the dash. In my experience, once that is done, the car will never be as tight and you can expect new vibrations or rattles to appear. Unfortunate but what can you do?

It is good news because we all need this to work properly but I hate the idea that they are going to open things up and go into the dash. In my experience, once that is done, the car will never be as tight and you can expect new vibrations or rattles to appear. Unfortunate but what can you do?

I don't think that is the case with this car. It is meant to be easily taken apart and maintain its integrity. I believe everyone will be happy. This is not your standard GM or BMW dash!

I was pretty excited about this solution until I searched it and saw the Amazon reviews for this product. Looks like most people are unhappy with the results and say it makes the windshield looks permanently foggy. Sounds like we have one local report of success here, have others tries this product with the MS? Anyone else able to share results? I'm scared to try this given the amount of negativity on Amazon.

They didn't read the directions! It helps to keep a spray bottle filled with plain water nearby. When you get to the final buffing stage, you're supposed to wet the glass slightly before buffing with a paper towel. That removes the haze. When treating the outside of the windows, it's a good idea to repeat the entire procedure. Rain-X is amazing in a hard rain.

- - - Updated - - -

Cargo net is in the TeslaShop today, $49. No idea why we are discussing it in the Fogging thread!

Model S - Functional Tesla Motors

The cargo net has been reduced to $20.

- - - Updated - - -

Great news about the dash ductwork upgrade! This is the real solution to the fogging problem.

As Doug states above, it is likely a very small fraction of the current ownership in environments with winter conditions that this is an issue.

Florida people chime in, but straight humidity sounds like it is easily controlled by setting climate controls in a certain manner (perhaps outlined by NigelM in an earlier post).

As Doug states above, it is likely a very small fraction of the current ownership in environments with winter conditions that this is an issue.

Florida people chime in, but straight humidity sounds like it is easily controlled by setting climate controls in a certain manner (perhaps outlined by NigelM in an earlier post).

I'm sure Florida isn't an issue. All they need to do is turn on the air conditioner and any fog will disappear in seconds.

Hi all

As an EV driver (Think City - 2008 model) in cold and wet climate, I have the following experience

1. Make sure to use the ventilation setting to fresh air, and NOT recirculation
2. Airflow is more important than heath, but here in Norway it is also cold, so heating is on anyway (-15C today)
3. My Think does not have AC, but if I had, it is true it does take away humidity.
4. However, my Think does have heated front shield (window) which is fabulous, particularly with ice and snow. A few minutes on, and all is gone, and no fogging either.

Bottom line, one small product improvement (optional, as only "required" in cold places :), would be the opportunity to order the S with heated front glass...... I do believe it will also be energy efficient, as a few minutes with this use much less power from the batteries compared to high use of heater and fan.

Perhaps, but people move north and cars get sold. I would expect this fix to be applied across all vehicles, regardless of location, until the modification is placed into production.