Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somewhat related, they're increasing the miles on the LR AWD to 322, but not on the performance.
Side question would this theoretical performance unlock therefore reduce this range back from 322 to 310 miles?

Don't see why one would have anything to do with the other.

The primary range difference between the currently-orderable P and the AWD is the wheels/tires.

Curious if this range boost means we won't see an acceleration boost for the AWD non-P with the upcoming update and the 5% they spoke about was just range/efficiency related?

Since they explicitly said 5% more power don't see how you'd get that idea.

I'd gladly take 12 less miles of range for the added acceleration.
It still seems like all of this is unlikely. No matter what they do it will piss people off. If the price is too high people will say they were taken advantage of, if the price is too low then P buyers will be upset and other buyers will opt to not buy a P when they can decide to unlock P power later if they choose. Seems like a lot of hassle for a potentially small amount of revenue.

It still seems like all of this is unlikely. No matter what they do it will piss people off. If the price is too high people will say they were taken advantage of, if the price is too low then P buyers will be upset and other buyers will opt to not buy a P when they can decide to unlock P power later if they choose. Seems like a lot of hassle for a potentially small amount of revenue.

Tesla gives zero you know whats about pissing people off with these kinds of things.

And who’s to say the potential EBITDA impact of this is small?

• Disagree
Reactions: M109Rider
If you read the call transcript ; it wasn't really clear to me. Musk said power and the engineer talked of efficiencies or vice versa.

I did read it. It was very clear. Here it is:

Elon Musk and then Drew Baglino said:
there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?

Drew Baglino -- Chief Technology Officer

Yeah, we just continue to learn how to optimize the motor control in our products. And yeah, so 5% improvement for all Model 3 customers and 3% for S and X.

That's entirely and only about adding power to all models.

after that they mention range as a totally separate item.

I'd gladly take 12 less miles of range for the added acceleration.
I'd gladly take the 310 miles of range my car was supposed to have instead of the sudden drop to 295 and the fluctuation between that number and 299 depending on the day. I'm not sure how 322 will be a reality as those with LR RWD cars have made comments about not receiving the 325 they were updated to.

Reactions: MagnusMako
I'm just guessing it's not a large number of people. As a shareholder I hope I'm wrong. I think they have learned their lesson about doing weird things with pricing levels.

Let’s say it is 3000 people that decide to do it, which seems low to me, but I’m a bit biased. And, let’s call it $3,000 (I’d guess it ends up being between $3k and $5k). That’s $9 million right there. Not a massive amount, but not insignificant, either.

Don't see why one would have anything to do with the other.

The primary range difference between the currently-orderable P and the AWD is the wheels/tires.

Assuming the upcoming one-pedal driving (regen) improvements apply to all Model 3's then it would only be logical to assume that the range of the P should go up as well. So either they haven't updated the site to reflect those range improvements for the P or somehow re-certified the AWD to have a higher range (which I find difficult to believe, as it doesn't even hit the advertised 310 based on accumulated real world fleet data). Or it's possible the regen improvement somehow does not apply to the P, which I would also find hard to believe. Or it's for some other reason that I'm not seeing.

I'd gladly take the 310 miles of range my car was supposed to have instead of the sudden drop to 295 and the fluctuation between that number and 299 depending on the day. I'm not sure how 322 will be a reality as those with LR RWD cars have made comments about not receiving the 325 they were updated to.

I believe the change of the RWD LR to 325 was merely them adjusting it to EPA testing as the single engine LR always was more efficient.
Don't think that was ever a software change like this new range on the AWD appears to hinted at being.