Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Same here. I live in an area with several feet of snow per year, and didn't want 20" rims and lower clearance. I didn't know the M3P- existed until about a month ago. I would have bought it in a heartbeat had I known. I actually looked into selling my AWD and getting an M3P- a few weeks ago -- the cost would have been $8k loss to sell my 2 month old AWD, plus having to apply for a loan again (interest rates had gone up), etc. Now I am thinking I will probably wait until next summer and sell the car when it's 1 year old, and then get an M3P-.

Reactions: jebinc
Stealth P reflash option/upgrade is supposedly coming soon for those who will want it (and who own at least earlier aka <Jan 2019, LR AWDs). It will supposedly be fairly inexpensive... ~2-3K USD.

I did not hear this from a number of SC and Mobile techs, who do not fairly routinely apply it today and were completely unfamiliar with the matter.
I want to believe.

I think this is very likely (almost certain!) given the info we know, what Tesla/Musk has officially stated about the motors being identical, and most importantly the fact that cars delivered as AWD have been upgraded to P software in the field.

At least for cars produced earlier than 2019. The 990 motors throw a wrench in the works.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this. But Elon did reply to someone a couple of weeks ago regarding squeezing out more power via an OTA update with “you never know”. I am sure it’s grasping straws but hey it’s “something” right. He didn’t have to reply to that comment but he did:

Elon Musk on Twitter

I tweeted at Elon a couple more times :D

Phase 1: Offer a performance upgrade for LR AWD 3 owners
Phase 2: ...
Phase 3: Profit
@elonmusk @tesla

and:

There once was a boy who bought a Model 3
He got an AWD, but wanted a P
Since then, you know
He’s been saving his dough
For an OTA power upgrade for a fee

@elonmusk @tesla

well done there! Much appreciated it

Reactions: Vaillant
Anyone with Tesla corporate friends hear any news on this? I want this bad, I just got “stuck” with a P85D for a week, oh boy that was fun. Now I need more power, it’s a vicious cycle.

I just spoke to my service adviser about this while I was getting the AC smell fixed. He said that it is technically possible to do the AWD -> P upgrade (and that it was done once accidentally in the past), but that there's no way for him to charge me for the upgrade in the system. He said it's definitely something they could do under "Post Delivery Options" should Tesla choose to offer it.

Some more insider info related to this thread: Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

The 970 980 990 motors and their distribution among the Model 3 (model years, trim flavor/configurations, etc.) are indeed a thing. But motor plate details (including blank plates) matter not. From an end-user perspective - think - manufacturer revisions of the same design/assembly, different suppliers, even just different factories from same supplier will result in part number revisions.

Although above vary in terms of internals - any/all dual-motor Model 3s (early production to now) can be set to generate P-level output, with a very similar safety margin! 980s, 990s, 970s, any mix thereof - stealth P reflash is possible (at least technically) on all dual motor Model 3s thus far.

Last edited:
Some more insider info related to this thread: Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

The 970 980 990 motors and their distribution among the Model 3 (model years, trim flavor/configurations, etc.) are indeed a thing. But motor plate details (including blank plates) matter not. From an end-user perspective - think - manufacturer revisions of the same design/assembly, different suppliers, even just different factories from same supplier will result in part number revisions.

Although above vary in terms of internals - any/all dual-motor Model 3s (early production to now) can be set to generate P-level output, with a very similar safety margin! 980s, 990s, 970s, any mix thereof - stealth P reflash is possible (at least technically) on all dual motor Model 3s thus far.

this is a good thread, someone also suggested the P has some more power in it and put that towards ludicrous. So maybe when they do Ludicrous they open up the AWD for some love.

Reactions: MagnusMako

Are you the insider? If not, what’s the source of this information?