Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i wrote this, since i'm a P3D- person...
Hello, I am a Model 3 Performance owner but would still like AWD owners to have the option to upgrade to Performance software for their cars. Now that it's possible in the US to purchase a Performance Model 3 without the Performance Upgrade Package, if you would, please make a paid upgrade available to all AWD owners. There are many (thousands) willing to pay for to upgrade. Thank you.

and left my name/email, so i hope that helps.

submitted, but slightly modified it...

Why push it as a paid upgrade? As a owner that purchased SWP paint and autopilot, just push for an upgrade option? We are not all Billionaires like Elon....

Hello, I am a Model 3 AWD owner and would like an option upgrade to Performance software for my car. Now that it's possible in the US to purchase a Performance Model 3 without the Performance Upgrade Package, please make a upgrade available to all AWD owners. Over 1,500 of us are interested in this type of upgrade.

Reactions: JBT66 and dennistdk
i did the online form and email, and a while ago did the online chat requesting the same. I'd be surprised if they don't know about this potential revenue opportunity by now.

Honestly, i usually make myself dizzy even without P level performance, so I'm going to be happy with the car either way.

Still, I'd pay 2k....

The P3D- is all software.

Evidence in favor of this:

The PNs on all powertrain parts are 100% identical to AWD- both in the parts catalog and on every actual car owners have looked at and posted pictures of.

and

A number of folks who ordered Ps, but were delivered AWD cars, had the AWD software-flashed to a P on the lot.

And

Much above 60-70 mph the P and AWDs actual performance is nearly identical too despite the software differences.... and the dyno curves make it pretty clear the AWD is being software limited below that.

Versus...evidence against:

Literally nothing other than Elon making a vague tweet about binned motors before the first P was ever sold. (which isn't even evidence against if it turns out all motors passed the testing which would make sense given the PN thing- in contrast when Intel or AMD or Nvidia or...anyone... actually bins parts with significant performance differences they give them different part numbers after all)
Disagree here as I believe there is mention that the inverter is capable of processing much more electricity on the P3D - inverter is hardware.

Disagree here as I believe there is mention that the inverter is capable of processing much more electricity on the P3D - inverter is hardware.
[speculation]Impossible to know but.....the front motors output the same about 147kW for the AWD and the Performance. So the front inverters are probably the same. It looks like the Performance rear motor output at about 211kW and the same for the LR RWD (about 188kW for the AWD). If so then the RWD and Performance have the same (rear) inverter. it then seems that the AWD has the same rear inverter as the RWD and Performance and is only software limited.[/speculation]