Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The max. 800A vs 600A has been stated since the early days in the manuals.
But there are some interesting things. From the CAN data we know the following:

Performance max:
Rear: 246kW @ 337V ~730A
Front: 186kW @335V ~ 555A

AWD max:
Rear 220kW @ 350V? ~ 628A
Front: 132kW @ 350V? ~ 377A

The battery voltage wasn't shown in the video posted above for AWD, but let's assume it's around 350V as this is what the Performance drops to when pulling roughly the same as the AWD. Can you do a new test, STSUKX?

According to the manual (if you add the numbers together, not sure you can as it's at different rpm) you get 339kW/455hp for Performance and 317kW/425hp for AWD (so a 30hp / 7% difference).

However, according to the EU spec's I posted before (numbers provided by Tesla to EU) then each motor should be able to output (pre-2019.36 5% update):

AWD
Front at 155kW / 208 hp
Rear at 195kW / 262 hp
Total: 350kW / 469 hp

Performance
Front at 155kW / 208 hp
Rear at 205kW / 275 hp
Total: 360kW / 483 hp

I personally trust the EU numbers more than the manual for some reason as they seem to fit better with reality on the Performance model. :)

And we know the Performance has been dyno'd at 464hp and the AWD at 367hp before the first 5% upgrade, so after 2 x 5% upgrades, they should probably real world measure around 512hp and 405hp respectively. But would be fun to see new dyno results (together with CAN data) after the 2019.36 update.

Reactions: JBT66
And we know the Performance has been dyno'd at 464hp and the AWD at 367hp before the first 5% upgrade, so after 2 x 5% upgrades, they should probably real world measure around 512hp and 405hp respectively. But would be fun to see new dyno results (together with CAN data) after the 2019.36 update.

This is exactly what I’m waiting for to make a new run test with CAN. But still no 2019.36 update for me at the moment :(

Reactions: dennistdk
The AWD Model 3 is perfectly capable to be modified in Performance. That’s mostly a software throttle on the front motor to appears less quicker than the Performance version.

Thanks for the video. I am doing similar chart based on Bjorn's video (M3P), so I think I can give AWD a try.

458.png

The "plain area" of battery power of AWD is quite weird, tho we knew it back in the test in January.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor vs. Performance Dyno Results

Last edited:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I decided to contact Tesla support about a power upgrade for the AWD Model 3, and the response I just received wasn’t as positive:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support! Currently that performance upgrade isn't a option and there is no time table for that upgrade.

Thank you for being part of the Tesla community,

Best,

Kody R. |Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

We know that it is possible to go from AWD to Performance, but I think that we would need to get this in front of Elon. We need someone to bring this up and ask him this question during a shareholder meeting where questions are allowed, or keep asking him on Twitter. There is definitely a demand for it and we need him to see this.

Reactions: JTesmod3
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I decided to contact Tesla support about a power upgrade for the AWD Model 3, and the response I just received wasn’t as positive:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support! Currently that performance upgrade isn't a option and there is no time table for that upgrade.

Best,

Kody R. |Tesla Support

So, first- that's not really being the bearer of anything. The thread is littered with people who already did what you did and reported back on it.

Second- it's not really "bad" news in that unlike some negative nellies it suggests the upgrade is POSSIBLE (which we already know, on 980 drive unit cars anyway) and just not currently being offered (and we already knew it wasn't being offered right now). If it weren't possible they'd say "that can't be done" not "we haven't set time table to do that"

Reactions: MagnusMako
We know that it is possible to go from AWD to Performance, but I think that we would need to get this in front of Elon. We need someone to bring this up and ask him this question during a shareholder meeting where questions are allowed, or keep asking him on Twitter. There is definitely a demand for it and we need him to see this.

That’s quite simple. Put the evidences provided here such as videos or charts in front of him. He won’t be able to avoid the subject indefinitely.

Best,

Kody R. |Tesla Support

If anything this comes across quite positive

It’s not negative, but someone else a few pages ago received a positive response from Tesla support, so I was hoping that it would be a new trend from Tesla. Oh well.

Most of us know it is not currently possible.
Most of us still following the thread are holding out hope something will happen in the future, I don't think any of us are confident it will actually happen.

The fact they did not say what the heck are you talking about comes across as positive. If Telsa knows owners are willing to pay for something that should not cost them anything (software update) ; that is the stage we are currently at I would say.

If Tesla was going offer a $2k software performance update to LR AWD owners, then why wouldn't they just allow ordering of a P3D stealth? Except early on, they've refused to do so. So the likelihood of this happening is probably slim to none. The performance package is probably highly profitable to them and if there was an easy $2k shortcut to its straight-line performance, there would be a lot fewer P3D buyers.

If Tesla was going offer a $2k software performance update to LR AWD owners, then why wouldn't they just allow ordering of a P3D stealth? Except early on, they've refused to do so. So the likelihood of this happening is probably slim to none. The performance package is probably highly profitable to them and if there was an easy $2k shortcut to its straight-line performance, there would be a lot fewer P3D buyers.

Personally I would be willing to pay the same. I need both summer and winter tires and not willing to sacrifice comfort for acceleration. I want the acceleration, I don't care much about the spoiler, stiffer suspension and definitely not the 20" wheels.

There's a shortcut now- the P3D- which they're still selling out of inventory and still making new batches of. You just have to know it exists and look out for it.

Assuming the change in rear DU matters, selling an AWD upgrade would only be available to older buyers who got the 980 rear DU- in which case offering it won't hurt future sales at all since future AWD cars wouldn't be upgradable.

I'm still seeing around 4.4 second 0-60 after the update (non scientific, back roads, using a smart phone to time myself)

Smartphones lack the GPS resolution to provide super reliable results... folks testing with draggy have found decent amounts of improvement.