Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The brakes doesn't care if you got to speed X in 3 seconds or 20 seconds once you move from accelerating to braking.

It's human nature. With more power, you're going to want to drive faster and you'll get to speeds higher than you normally would much quicker. A better stopping distance can make the difference between stopping in time or slamming into the car in front of you, or worse.

Now driving like an idiot is the number one cause of speed related accidents, but that never stopped anyone, has it?

And the braking distance (60-0) between the 2 is about 15 ft or more. That's not a small difference.

And the braking distance (60-0) between the 2 is about 15 ft or more. That's not a small difference.

The 60-0 distance, with the same tires, is exactly the same

The brakes don't stop the car- the tires do. This is basic physics.

If you're unclear on this fact I highly suggest the following essay by a professional braking system designer who teaches SAE master classes on the topic and literally writes books about it:

GRM Pulp Friction

I doubt the tires are the same. I'm going by specs I've seen posted online.

Right. The specs online are showing you a shorter distance because the tires are different.

Put the same tires on both- stopping distance will be the same.

The brakes don't matter at all to stopping distance. The brakes don't stop the car- the tires do.

The brakes only need to be good enough to engage ABS (or lock the wheels on older pre-ABS cars)- which any stock brakes in the last decade or two easily can do... after that MOAR BRAKE makes no difference.

Read the link I posted- it explains all the things changing your brakes CAN do for you (and why other than "feel" none of them are useful outside a race track or the chase scene in a Jason Bourne film).... and it explains the one thing they CAN'T do- stop you any shorter than the stock brakes did the first time.

If you want to stop shorter you need stickier tires, not bigger brakes.

Knightshade said:
Read the link I posted- it explains all the things changing your brakes CAN do for you (and why other than "feel" none of them are useful outside a race track or the chase scene in a Jason Bourne film).... and it explains the one thing they CAN'T do- stop you any shorter than the stock brakes did the first time.

I read all the way through. Very interesting.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I doubt the tires are the same. I'm going by specs I've seen posted online.

Its what you get stock. The P3D+ (upgrade package) comes with the PS4S which are fantastic vs. the stock 18s. The upgraded brakes really only help during track or hard driving in canyons (which I do frequently). the braking feel also is better on the upgraded brakes. If you are getting the performance, its a no brainer to get the upgrade package because they are literally the same price and you can always sell your 20s if you want smaller tires.

Attachments

• tm3.jpg
    tm3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 224