Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For discussing the issue of locals charging at California Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been whining on a different thread about the Baker Supercharger (40 stalls, sparsely used) and how grossly overbuilt it was/is. I just wish I understood why Tesla would throttle back on the 26 stalls and save 6 to be installed at-an-unknown-time. . . We all know that there is zero doubt that this Supercharger will be pulverized by locals (read: Qualcomm). If this happens, it will leave road-trippers caught possibly queuing in an already not super-convenient off the Interstate location just to finish a trip.

It really makes me sad!

Reactions: JeffnReno
I have been whining on a different thread about the Baker Supercharger (40 stalls, sparsely used) and how grossly overbuilt it was/is. I just wish I understood why Tesla would throttle back on the 26 stalls and save 6 to be installed at-an-unknown-time. . . We all know that there is zero doubt that this Supercharger will be pulverized by locals (read: Qualcomm). If this happens, it will leave road-trippers caught possibly queuing in an already not super-convenient off the Interstate location just to finish a trip.

It really makes me sad!

Tesla has been doing this a lot in the past year. The sites are permitted at the future number of stalls, but open with a smaller number. Sometimes within just a few weeks, the remaining stalls open and the Nav is updated accordingly. I have no fear that if this site opens with 20 stalls that the remaining will be open before the end of this year. I think this is a good thing as it gets the new location open quicker.

Reactions: Vern Padgett

It really makes me sad!
Why would the extra stalls in Baker bother you? Having mega-superchargers on well traveled corridors makes them fairly bullet proof for the next couple years at least. This is a good thing. I also don't see what the Baker supercharger has to do with Carlsbad.

Why would the extra stalls in Baker bother you? Having mega-superchargers on well traveled corridors makes them fairly bullet proof for the next couple years at least. This is a good thing. I also don't see what the Baker supercharger has to do with Carlsbad.

I'm sure a big part is Tesla doesn't want to go back to Baker any time soon to expand. While all the crew is on site out there, it's probably much cheaper to build big now then send a crew out a year or two later to expand.

It really makes me sad!
?i am a local..paid big bucks for free supercharging...going to use it. Sorry that makes you sad.

Acps110 makes some encouraging comments and I truly hope that's what ends up happening. Those 6 additional stalls will bring a very much needed 30% increase in capacity. However, I'm a bit wary b/c you'll likely have to reengage the City inspectors and/or SDG&E and these things take a lot longer than just dropping off the stalls and plugging them in. Had they done it now, the whole thing would be done and done in one shot, right?

To PLUS EV's point, I realize that the overcapacity at Baker may likely not have anything to do directly with the Carlsbad Supercharger and it being initially underbuilt. Obviously, my straight-logic is that the 6 overbuilt stalls from Baker could have been plugged into where they'll be needed far more in the immediate term at the Carlsbad location, inspected, and on-line right away. If it's not a $$ question, then why not do it now (alluding to what I commented to Acps110).

Is anyone else concerned that we're 30 days into Q3 and SD County is still left with a lightly used Supercharger downtown that isn't placating the locals, Qualcomm continues to be completely overrun, and zero additional construction is underway except for this now-to-be-underbuilt Carlsbad location? Short term prospects in SD County are bleaker than I'd like them to be :(

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I'm struggling with the comment that a 20-stall SpC is considered "underbuilt" in this location. Seems like an embarrassment of riches to me. Unless of course you get a ton of locals plugging in while shopping at the mall.

FTR, while I live very close to this SpC, I will never use it. Charging at home is so much more convenient anyway.

Not sure what members of this forum are using for the SDG&E rates but here is their link:
https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/1-1-18 Schedule EV-TOU & EV-TOU-2 Total Rates Tables.pdf

The electricity itself is inexpensive because they buy it back from solar customers on the cheap, but they add outrageous distribution and transmission costs. You end up at about $0.22 super off peak.

We've already told you, check out the TOU-5 rate. Cheaper. $0.09.

Electric Vehicle Plans | San Diego Gas & Electric

Last edited:
We've already told you, check out the TOU-5 rate. Cheaper. $0.09.

Electric Vehicle Plans | San Diego Gas & Electric
Thats awesome, but those of us who just got on TOU-2 plans have to wait a year. It was a bad move actually as $0.23 super off peak otherwise crazy $0.29 and $0.54c rates are not very effective --- and I cant afford to run my A/C anymore at $0.54c during the time I need it. SDGE really sucks. I wish I could get Solar.

Reactions: P85_DA
You might want to tone down your rhetoric..you have no clue about me . You must be a liberal.

Go ready my posts. I'm the furthest from a liberal there can be. I was thinking the same thing about you with the "entitlement tone" in your posts.

Happy to introduce you to my gun collection.

All right fellas, why don't we just calm down. I think at the end of day, we should respect that people do have the right to free supercharging and they did spend at least 80k to get it, but if you are someone who doesn't use it regularly, more power to you for minimizing congestion. Either way, I think its fair to say most shareholders would rather have an extra sale in terms of long term cost than not having to foot the bill for supercharging, which at most would come out to 5k over the lifetime of the car and is much smaller than profit margins on all applicable teslas