Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For discussing the issue of locals charging at California Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just don't get the logic:

First, someone that makes enough to afford an 80k+ car that will burn up enough time to sit at a SpC multiple times a week to charge. When it has been pointed out that there are SDG&E rates that are as cheap as 9c/kwh overnight, it makes the "value of your time" argument all that much more compelling.

Second, given that this is a local SDer, it's pretty much a given that he knows and has experienced how bad supercharging is as Qualcomm. The fact that he's willing to contribute to a similar problem with no respect for others is what gives me the "entitlement" feeling I mentioned earlier. When travelers rely upon these chargers to get up and down the coast, and locals clog it up because they are "entitled", well, it's inconsiderate of everyone else.

Thats awesome, but those of us who just got on TOU-2 plans have to wait a year. It was a bad move actually as $0.23 super off peak otherwise crazy $0.29 and $0.54c rates are not very effective --- and I cant afford to run my A/C anymore at $0.54c during the time I need it. SDGE really sucks. I wish I could get Solar.

FWIW - I asked SDGE if I can switch to TOU5 and they said I have to wait another 11 months. SDGE are definitely not very EV friendly and clearly one of the most expensive utilities in USA, which really makes them an EV discourager. Which is why we are so keen for this la costa station to open up.

$0.09/kWh is not in any way shape or form a rip off rate. Do yourself a favor and move to the TOU-5 rate. You’ll probably save yourself a ton of mone

First, someone that makes enough to afford an 80k+ car that will burn up enough time to sit at a SpC multiple times a week to charge. When it has been pointed out that there are SDG&E rates that are as cheap as 9c/kwh overnight, it makes the "value of your time" argument all that much more compelling.

Second, given that this is a local SDer, it's pretty much a given that he knows and has experienced how bad supercharging is as Qualcomm. The fact that he's willing to contribute to a similar problem with no respect for others is what gives me the "entitlement" feeling I mentioned earlier. When travelers rely upon these chargers to get up and down the coast, and locals clog it up because they are "entitled", well, it's inconsiderate of everyone else.
I go at 4 am when no one is there so as not to upset people like you.

Thats awesome, but those of us who just got on TOU-2 plans have to wait a year. It was a bad move actually as $0.23 super off peak otherwise crazy $0.29 and $0.54c rates are not very effective --- and I cant afford to run my A/C anymore at $0.54c during the time I need it. SDGE really sucks. I wish I could get Solar.
Powerwalls are great for eliminating the 4-9pm peak rates.

Powerwall + Solar + EVTOU-5 + an EV or two is a super combo.

Considering your posts and this reply to date... I'll save what I think you are... Telling though you think calling someone a liberal is some sort of an insult... 'MERICA...

Jeff
I really don't care what you think.. You don't know me. I use an empty SC at 4am. I don't bother anyone or hold anyone up. It was part of my package. I really don't know what the problem is is with you and a few others.

Excellent question 4Super9.
I do not know the answer for Fountain Valley, but for Rancho Cucamonga, I do know that a local was charging, because after talking to him for a while he said he had to go home which was "across the street in those apartments" which he then pointed to.
Also, I gave a Model 3 to my daughter 6 days ago, and she lives in an apartment in Long Beach. Two years ago I offered to pay for a 240 volt 50 amp Level 2 charge station in her garage, but she told me that she did not own the wiring; the landlord did, and that he was crazy, and that no negotiations were possible. So she needs to use a SC or other "local" charging. But she pays for it-- First charge, one hour after picking up the Model 3 at Marina Del Rey, Sunday last, we charged at the Culver City SC, and her 15" screen posted a charge for $7.80, exactly 26c per KWh.

@Vern Padgett, Not sure if your daughter's apartment would qualify, but California law requires landlords to allow tenants to install an EV charging station in their parking (Terms and Conditions apply). Here's when it doesn't apply: (1) when parking is not included as part of the rental contract; (2) to properties with fewer than five parking spaces; (3) to properties subject to rent control; (4) when 10% or more of existing spaces already have electric vehicle charging stations.

So, there's a decent chance the landlord would be legally required to approve of the installation regardless of who "owns the wiring". However, there are also a number of additional conditions that are placed on the tenant.

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations for California Landlords - Kimball Tirey & St. John LLP

Reactions: Vern Padgett

I live in a Condo and have to pay $0.27/kwh to use a shared community power solution (evercharge) so definitely using superchargers results in significant savings for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett