Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Says Electric Mustang-Inspired SUV Will Challenge Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
According to Ford, the two vehicles could even arrive on the market at the same time. Ford says that its first dedicated electric car, which will be a Mustang-inspired plug-in crossover, will be positioned to compete with the recently revealed Tesla Model Y. If you recall, Ford posted a tweet in the moments leading up...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/20/ford-electric-mustang-suv-tesla-model-y/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

This is great, like so many other new BEV cars coming out. For those that don't travel far, it will help.

I want to take a trip in my new Mustang Inspired SUV.

Oh, you have to charge it? Where will I do that? On my first stop 180 miles out.

Stay the night why may car charges to capacity again then go another 180 miles the next day, and so on.

Need that infrastructure to make this viable I guess.

When and who will make that happen? VW Group. How long? The next ten years, maybe.

Oh then I can drive my Mustang Inspired SUV further than in town. Great. I cant wait.

In the mean time I think I'll buy a Tesla and use it virtually anywhere today. Thats not a cult, that just makes sense.

Or I could buy two cars one for around town and one for trips.

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
This is great, like so many other new BEV cars coming out. For those that don't travel far, it will help.

I want to take a trip in my new Mustang Inspired SUV.

Oh, you have to charge it? Where will I do that? On my first stop 180 miles out.

Stay the night why may car charges to capacity again then go another 180 miles the next day, and so on.

Need that infrastructure to make this viable I guess.

When and who will make that happen? VW Group. How long? The next ten years, maybe.

Oh then I can drive my Mustang Inspired SUV further than in town. Great. I cant wait.

In the mean time I think I'll buy a Tesla and use it virtually anywhere today. Thats not a cult, that just makes sense.

Or I could buy two cars one for around town and one for trips.

Or you could just go to a CCS/Chademo site and charge it up. Assuming you know that exists.

Or you could just go to a CCS/Chademo site and charge it up. Assuming you know that exists.

Yes, at my local FORD Dealer, or Porsche Dealer, or maybe Nissan has CHademo or CCS? I know of one Chademo in my region and its in Orlando at a Hotel, quite a bit out of range from people in South Florida. There is no proliferation of those two applications in the US that I know of, of course I don't search for them either. Canada has high proliferation of CHademo and CCS?

Yes, at my local FORD Dealer, or Porsche Dealer, or maybe Nissan has CHademo or CCS? I know of one Chademo in my region and its in Orlando at a Hotel, quite a bit out of range from people in South Florida. There is no proliferation of those two applications in the US that I know of, of course I don't search for them either. Canada has high proliferation of CHademo and CCS?

Ahh. Ok. That makes sense. Didn’t realize that. Here it’s just the opposite. If you drive a model 3 you are limited to about 14 Supercharger locations in the province. As opposed to about 150 CCS/Chademo locations with at least 50 more on the way already funded. Here the model 3 is a limited use vehicle but something like a bolt or leaf has considerably more charging opportunities. Like 10 times more. Now if they make a Chademo adapter that would open things up a bit.

Ahh. Ok. That makes sense. Didn’t realize that. Here it’s just the opposite. If you drive a model 3 you are limited to about 14 Supercharger locations in the province. As opposed to about 150 CCS/Chademo locations with at least 50 more on the way already funded. Here the model 3 is a limited use vehicle but something like a bolt or leaf has considerably more charging opportunities. Like 10 times more. Now if they make a Chademo adapter that would open things up a bit.

Here is the problem, but I do claim to know very little about CCS/Chademo in NorthAmerica. Maybe this map is why.

2027 though it'll be all better if VW Group does what they are mandated to do.

Show us all a map of what it looks like to you in Canada please as this map is not official Chademo Material. But I can see why in Europe, you can use any car to go anywhere, Tesla or otherwise. Now that is proliferation in Europe and beyond.
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 10.15.58 AM.png

There is a Chademo/ CCS even in Azerbaijan. Wow. Someday we will catch up even to Azerbaijan.

This is why Tesla has a huge following in three markets-

Europe, Parts of Asia and the US with Canada and Mexico coming on. RED Dots are Tesla Superchargers, Blue is under permit, Cones are under construction.

THIS is what holds up the wider use of all electric vehicles in North America for now. Very few offerings beside Tesla.
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 10.30.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 10.31.12 AM.png

Here is the problem, but I do claim to know very little about CCS/Chademo in NorthAmerica. Maybe this map is why.

2027 though it'll be all better if VW Group does what they are mandated to do.

Show us all a map of what it looks like to you in Canada please as this map is not official Chademo Material. But I can see why in Europe, you can use any car to go anywhere, Tesla or otherwise. Now that is proliferation in Europe and beyond.View attachment 388788

There is a Chademo/ CCS even in Azerbaijan. Wow. Someday we will catch up even to Azerbaijan.

I can’t speak for Canada. Just for BC. Here is a shot of our province. The wrenches indicate new stations announced in the last week. The province usually has them up and running within 3 to 6 months of putting them on plugshare. There are another 40 or so announced that have not been out on plugshare yet. Those are part of phase three and not expected till fall 2020.

The other one is the Supercharger network.

Attachments

• 917ECFD3-D134-46E4-8B53-F1F386BCDF1F.jpeg
    917ECFD3-D134-46E4-8B53-F1F386BCDF1F.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 62CFA8BF-6944-4DDC-8496-A4FE4A72092A.jpeg
    62CFA8BF-6944-4DDC-8496-A4FE4A72092A.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 45
This is why Tesla has a huge following in three markets-

Europe, Parts of Asia and the US with Canada and Mexico coming on. RED Dots are Tesla Superchargers, Blue is under permit, Cones are under construction.

THIS is what holds up the wider use of all electric vehicles in North America for now. Very few offerings beside Tesla.
Not only that, but Tesla won't be attempting to make such a huge profit as you see at the E/A chargers.

But how many actual charge points. If you arrive and they're full, you have a problem. Also, how many of those CCS/Chademo stations are over 100 kW?

Stopping to charge for over an hour every 3 hours is not a very welcome option for most people.

But how many actual charge points. If you arrive and they're full, you have a problem. Also, how many of those CCS/Chademo stations are over 100 kW?

Stopping to charge for over an hour every 3 hours is not a very welcome option for most people.

Agreed to all points. They are either one or two handle stations. Many at 50 Kw with new ones at 100. So no they are not as good as Superchargers but their coverage is much more extensive. With the Supercharger model 3 combo here you are limited to a narrow band thru the province. If you have a Tesla model S or X and the adapter your travelling area gets a lot bigger. Not slamming Tesla here. They need to build out Supercharger in more populated areas and not small populations like BC. Just a reality for us. Our first choice for our next EV us by far the model 3 but we will probably just get another leaf (eplus) We are an EV only family so if we bought a model 3 we would also have to buy a gasser. Not going to happen. Meh, we like our leaf. Would rather have a three though. Maybe they will make the Chademo adapter for the three before we buy the Eplus.

I keep asking, Where r they going to charge them?
VW, Benz, Porche, Ford, GM? Where?
Electrify America. According to a recent press release this is their current status (cycle 1 ends later this year):
  • 105 charging sites with 465 chargers operational and open to the public;
  • An additional 42 charging sites with 189 chargers which have been constructed and
    waiting to be energized by utility companies;
  • An additional 85 charging sites with 393 chargers in active construction;
  • An additional 73 charging sites and 341 chargers with approved permits scheduled for
    construction; and
  • An additional 179 charging sites in design and engineering;
  • Total of 484 charging sites secured for Cycle 1.
This is a map of EA sites that are either available now or coming soon (source: Plugshare):

FxSJXpT.jpg

Obviously not (yet) comparable to Tesla, but on the east coast it looks already quite usable for long-distance trips, and by the time the cars you mentioned are on the roads in significant numbers it should be adequate.

Electrify America. According to a recent press release this is their current status (cycle 1 ends later this year):
  • 105 charging sites with 465 chargers operational and open to the public;
  • An additional 42 charging sites with 189 chargers which have been constructed and

Yes, Press release I tend to believe is exactly what this is. I'm in Florida and I really doubt(I could be wrong) all those sites exist built, ready to go. Even waiting to be connected to utility in the second line. Ignorance is no excuse though and I guess I got to do some digging.

According to Ford, the two vehicles could even arrive on the market at the same time. Ford says that its first dedicated electric car, which will be a Mustang-inspired plug-in crossover, will be positioned to compete with the recently revealed Tesla Model Y. If you recall, Ford posted a tweet in the moments leading up...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/20/ford-electric-mustang-suv-tesla-model-y/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
I wish Ford well. Even if the availability of high-speed charging was not a problem they are still almost 10 years behind Tesla. Depending on how you look at things the model Y is the fourth or fifth generation of ev technology. Tesla has the best battery and it’s own battery production facilities. Ford is way behind. The press release is a piece of paper nothing more. Competition is good for all of us.