Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford slashes Mach-E prices by up to $5,900... offers refunds to customers that paid higher price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 8.53.02 AM.jpg

Mach-E customers already waiting on their order will be given the adjusted price when their vehicle arrives, and current owners will hear from Ford for "personal offers" designed to refund the difference in price they paid before the cuts, Gjaja said on a phone call with reporters.

The Mach-E advertising spend also seems to be increasing along with their price cuts. I have gotten several of their ads lately. One started out with "Considering a Tesla Model Y?" and went on to tout the Mach-E without actually comparing to any Model Y specs. Ford is in a tough position trying to sell the Mach-e in my opinion when you can easily get the Y before the end of March at a better price to specs ratio.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The Mach-E advertising spend also seems to be increasing along with their price cuts. I have gotten several of their ads lately. One started out with "Considering a Tesla Model Y?" and went on to tout the Mach-E without actually comparing to any Model Y specs. Ford is in a tough position trying to sell the Mach-e in my opinion when you can easily get the Y before the end of March at a better price to specs ratio.
Another factor that may be playing out: people trading in their MMEs.

The Select trim doesn't have an extended range option. This is a serious drawback, it means you are very limited in where you can go without having to charge. During Winter, I lost at least 30% range as indicated on the instrument cluster, which worked out to 160 miles. That just doesn't do it for about half the time I use the car.

It was bad enough to make me trade in for a MYLR. Can't imagine I was alone in this experience.

• Funny
Reactions: RubberToe and vickh
Another factor that may be playing out: people trading in their MMEs.

The Select trim doesn't have an extended range option. This is a serious drawback, it means you are very limited in where you can go without having to charge. During Winter, I lost at least 30% range as indicated on the instrument cluster, which worked out to 160 miles. That just doesn't do it for about half the time I use the car.

It was bad enough to make me trade in for a MYLR. Can't imagine I was alone in this experience.

What was the best range you got?

Winters aren't bad here and I can live with low range, but their connector horror story scares me more. Don't want to be found on the road.. .dead.

• Informative
What was the best range you got?

Winters aren't bad here and I can live with low range, but their connector horror story scares me more. Don't want to be found on the road.. .dead.
220 miles on 100% charge.

Note: range does not translate into distance travelled. On 220 miles of range, I would get about 190 miles of distance in Fall with climate controls on.

220 miles on 100% charge.

Note: range does not translate into distance travelled. On 220 miles of range, I would get about 190 miles of distance in Fall with climate controls on.
That’s about what you’d get on a 75D car, tolerable but not ideal. At least they stopped that nonsense where it backs off to L2 speeds on DCFC past 80%.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
That’s about what you’d get on a 75D car, tolerable but not ideal. At least they stopped that nonsense where it backs off to L2 speeds on DCFC past 80%.
Yeah, and to be clear, it's not like I hated the MME.

Tolerable is more the way I'd put it. With the right planning and some patience, you can make almost any trip work.

It's just that, for the price, this is a lot to tolerate.

I looked at the MME when I was looking to buy 2 years ago and there were significant disadvantages to it. I ended up with a M3 SR+ that I love. 220 mile range seemed way too low to be practical on many trips, the charger network wasn't there even if it is somewhat better now, acceleration was so so and availability was nonexistent. I wasn't looking for that kind of car anyway, just a small sedan. I ordered my M3, got a 6 week delivery date, it came in 3, a $1k price cut in the interim was honored, and I got the cheapest Tesla sold that year. The SR+ handles well because it is lighter too, charging is quick, it is the most efficient Tesla out there, with a rated usage of 202wh/mi, and driving around town I get about 180, and at 72mph about 230. The only downside so far is that battery has degraded, so max range now is about 245-250, but that is expected I guess.

What I just saw yesterday when I looked though is that the MME hasn't changed. It just wasn't tempting then and it isn't now either.

Reactions: alexgr
FYI Volkswagen Won’t Cut Its EV Prices to Match Tesla

Everything seems to be getting really, really expensive these days, except for Teslas as the company has been slashing prices for its EVs all over the world in recent weeks. But, while Ford clamored to follow Tesla down the price-cuttingrabbit hole, German automaker Volkswagen assures that it won’t be making any such moves.
VW will let the dealers cut the deals off of MSRP. A lot of dealers on the FB forums are getting inventory on the lot without reservations and offering to sell below MSRP. They have the dealer model and not direct model like Tesla and a few others.

I believe Ford's CEO has said he would honor price differences for those who ordered since 1/1/23. At least he's making some of them whole.

Having said that though, the prices still aren't competitive to MY's current pricing. I mean, if Ford really wants to make a dent F150s are literally printing money for them, why not slash another 5% to swing back some of those customers?

Price war is great, though not for those who bought already ...

I believe Ford's CEO has said he would honor price differences for those who ordered since 1/1/23. At least he's making some of them whole.

Having said that though, the prices still aren't competitive to MY's current pricing. I mean, if Ford really wants to make a dent F150s are literally printing money for them, why not slash another 5% to swing back some of those customers?

Price war is great, though not for those who bought already ...

I don't think Ford can meet the Lightning demand already - not much reason to drop price there, they can't make 10x more of them right now