Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Former muscle car owner - thoughts and opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first car was a 98 Acura Integra. Loved that car. Then I had an 08 BMW 335i. It was a nice car for when it came out. Then my wife and I downsized to one car, a 2012 Benz GLK which my wife still drives. I ended up biking to work for 8 years. I finally got my M3 SR plus. Just very easy to drive. I even think the air in the car is cleaner, probably because of the HEPA filter. Just feels less dusty. That surprisingly is one of my favourite aspects about the car. It’s got the same acceleration feel as the 335i but without the “damn I just wasted so much gas gunning it” feeling.

Posted on Facebook groups relative to the F8x platform.

Looking at Turo and Service Center and local Showroom. They have LR AWD, just not performance version yet. Have feelers out to get into one if it comes available for a test drive.
Thanks for the tip but ugh. Facebook. I hate Mark Zuckerberg and everything he stands for. I guess if that’s what it takes, as long as I don’t have to pay him a penny. I’d rather somebody else put a hammer in his cranium. But hey, that’s just me and I don’t really mean that (I guess).

I've rebuild cars, owned fast cars for most of my life. I grew up at the drag race track and my first real vehicle was a lowered, V8 powered 5 speed S10 that I build myself with my friends. Then I went the new car route with an SRT-4, and I'm selling my current Focus ST in favour of a Model 3 SR+. All my cars have been manual.

Nothing has quite grabbed me like my first drive in a Model 3. I know it's not the performance, but I agree with your first post about one pedal driving. It feels like you're downshifting everytime you let off, yet it's the smoothest experience you can ever want. Tesla just gets it right.

I've driven hybrids, the Chevy Bolt, and my friend owns a Leaf. I can't say any of those compare to Tesla and their driving experience. It feels like the difference between the usual brands and a german car like a BMW or Audi in that they just "get" the driving experience part.

I pickup my new car in two days. I can't wait!

Ok, I drove a 1957 TR3, 2L+ under 2000lbs. The head was mil 10 and a super race cam.
Primer and rust on the body but I could beat most big blocks to about 70.
It would not idle below 1500 and rattled the pants off most folks, glass packs
were gone in the first hour.
Yep I like my model 3.
Man, I have a classic HP '66 Mustang coup, Shelby suspension, the whole thing completely restored. Over 20 years I have poured treasure into and bled on. I loved the exhaust note on that thing, I've had people follow me home wanting the specs on the exhaust.

I took delivery on a DM LR M3, in October it will be two years - since I even started the Mustang. I never saw that coming.

Man, I have a classic HP '66 Mustang coup, Shelby suspension, the whole thing completely restored. Over 20 years I have poured treasure into and bled on. I loved the exhaust note on that thing, I've had people follow me home wanting the specs on the exhaust.

I took delivery on a DM LR M3, in October it will be two years - since I even started the Mustang. I never saw that coming.

Similar story. Had several Mustangs at one point. Now, down to an ‘03 Cobra (original owner; coming up to 17 years owned). Wanted a ‘sporty’ EV for a while and an M3P is close enough. The Cobra has been driven 31 miles since April ‘18. I’m not completely surprised since I gravitated to electric RC cars rather than gas when I was younger. Heck, bought a B5M more recently. :D Still waiting for a Mustang/Camaro-like, 2-door, 2+2, sporty EV.

Reactions: Tron 3
My C7 Corvette was all drama. It was the car that “made reality disappear” especially with the roof off and the exhaust set to track mode!

My Model 3 takes care of me... minimalist interior, high-tech, autopilot, endless air conditioning at all times, no service, smart, and high-milage capable.

I’m a life-long motorhead (motorcycles, airplanes, performance cars) and I dread the thought of pumping gas ever again... but I wouldn’t mind another C7 Corvette just to play with once in a while. Hmmm... maybe on Turo.

Then again the new Tesla roadster will be a new dimension!

My C7 Corvette was all drama. It was the car that “made reality disappear” especially with the roof off and the exhaust set to track mode!

My Model 3 takes care of me... minimalist interior, high-tech, autopilot, endless air conditioning at all times, no service, smart, and high-milage capable.

I’m a life-long motorhead (motorcycles, airplanes, performance cars) and I dread the thought of pumping gas ever again... but I wouldn’t mind another C7 Corvette just to play with once in a while. Hmmm... maybe on Turo.

Then again the new Tesla roadster will be a new dimension!
Decisions, decisions....

My first car was a 67' impala, 3 speed on the column. Later found a 67 mustang convertible, which I installed an 8-track player into it. Sadly, someone ran a red light and totaled it. Then came my precious, a 74 RX-4. Loved the rotary engine as it had lots of torque. Then grew up and got married and went through a series of "family" cars. They all served their function. Recently found a website with 0-60 times for most cars in the 60's and 70's. My Y AWD blows almost every one of those cars off the track.
Yes, I do find myself coming up with reasons why I need to go drive around. The closest store is too small as I drive further to the "bigger" store. I'm in love with my car again.

Come on everyone. Admit that the second your spouse says “we are out of milk”, you are out the door and heading to not necessarily the closest grocery store in the model 3 in a flash. Have had a Jaguar xk8 convertible (fun when it wasn’t in the shop) and wife has a 1998 bmw m3 convertible, but neither had that strong of a hop in and just drive feeling. Maybe it’s just curiosity factor from all the updates. Got my long range sleeper in late December also so hoping the feeling doesn’t wear off :)
It doesn't!

I feel really conflicted after taking my P3D+ to the drag strip a couple weekends ago. It is amazing to me that such a docile car so well-suited for running errands and hauling my kid around can roll up on street tires (at 42psi) on a 95 degree day and run 11.6@116 all night. That kind of performance was completely out of reach for me for most of my life...

My buddy came with me in his 2017 Mustang GT with an E85 tune, cold air intake, suspension, and exhaust and ran 12.8s. I was hoping it would be more competitive but the only time we had a good race was when I intentionally got a 1.4 second reaction time to let him get an early lead and even then I walked him pretty hard and took the win. I also had a couple good races with an MB E63 biturbo (ran 12.1) and got absolutely smoked by a 2010 911 turbo with PDK who ran 10.7@127.

All that said, there was part of me that missed the experience of the gas car (and a transmission) at the drag strip... I used to pride myself in a great launch where I feathered the clutch just right now there is no skill involved at all I just put it in hold mode and mash the pedal. There is no sound of the car revving or shifting gears as I go down the track just this high speed whine. Probably the most envy I have felt since I got my P3D+ was when I raced that Porsche 911 turbo. The Porsche had a poor R/T so I got out to an early lead and then it just came roaring past me with this amazing exhaust note right around the 1/8 mile point... since my car is silent all I could hear was the revving of the Porsche engine as it flew by... amazing sound!

I don't regret my purchase at all, I can't think of a better value than a P3D+ for those that want a performance family car... but as a life-long car lover there is definitely something missing from the experience of driving an EV fast.

I recently sold my 2015 Chevy SS that I've owned for a little over 4 years. I loved the car, but found myself driving the 3 more, and really only drove the SS on nice days. Plus the 3 is faster, especially now that I bought the Accel boost, that I bought after the SS was gone.

I do miss it, but it's nice to have a spot open in the garage, the Mrs. got her dream vehicle and new mommy mobile, a 2019 Tahoe and she's happy, so no regrets. Plenty of time in life to own another fun ICE car, maybe a Corvette down the road. I'm only 33 so who knows what there will be out there in 5-10-20 years from now.

All that said, there was part of me that missed the experience of the gas car (and a transmission) at the drag strip...
The thing that struck me the most after going to the strip was realizing ... that’s it; there no more speed coming out of this car. Sure, there are light weight mods (rims, stripping the interior, etc.) and there might be a whooping 5% boost, but it’s not the same as adding a stroker, blower, turbo, etc. Hopefully when the market matures there will be high performance motor/battery/inverter/etc swaps.

The thing that struck me the most after going to the strip was realizing ... that’s it; there no more speed coming out of this car. Sure, there are light weight mods (rims, stripping the interior, etc.) and there might be a whooping 5% boost, but it’s not the same as adding a stroker, blower, turbo, etc. Hopefully when the market matures there will be high performance motor/battery/inverter/etc swaps.
It's tough being a wrencher with a Tesla.