Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The end of quarter push sounds like it's pulling people from other lines, asking people to work extra hours, etc - steps that won't be sustainable long term. They can rally the troops for short-term improvements but will need to improve their processes to maintain it long term.

That said, they will have to try to keep up and improve the pace to meet their goals for the next quarter. So even if there's a post-quarter drop in production rate, I expect it to be a short one.

I believe S/X were formerly 3 shift operations. Hit the volume, keep improving, reduce the effort.

Reactions: goto10
Assuming 8 cars per truck carrier, 2500 cars per week would require 313 trucks per week or 45 trucks per day. That's 2 trucks every hour if loading is truly a 24-7 operation. It probably takes the better part of an hour to load up just one truck, perhaps more than an hour.

I can see how this would become challenging from a logistics perspective requiring more staff, especially if this job is not 24-7.

Assuming 8 cars per truck carrier, 2500 cars per week would require 313 trucks per week or 45 trucks per day. That's 2 trucks every hour if loading is truly a 24-7 operation. It probably takes the better part of an hour to load up just one truck, perhaps more than an hour.

I can see how this would become challenging from a logistics perspective requiring more staff, especially if this job is not 24-7.
It's been spotted for the last week or so that there are often 7 trucks loading at the same time. Also, it's not how fast they can load a truck, it's how many loaded truck can be driven out of Tesla per hour. As demonstrated, they can load multiple trucks in parallel. A final small point, I think a typical carrier carries 9-10 cars.

Except at this point, I doubt any of these cars will count towards the Q1 numbers. The cars still have to be prepped, delivered, and signed off by the actual customer before Tesla counts them. I expect we'll see a large "in transit" number on the quarter's financial report.
They won't count as deliveries but you can bet your ass that if they build 2500 cars this week Elon will use that fact to offset the bad news about total production figures. It's a shrewd move. It would be a big win because it would quell the doubt about whether Tesla was even capable of hitting the number.

Reactions: RenMan68
They won't count as deliveries but you can bet your ass that if they build 2500 cars this week Elon will use that fact to offset the bad news about total production figures. It's a shrewd move. It would be a big win because it would quell the doubt about whether Tesla was even capable of hitting the number.
Yes, absolutely. Though, the similar (not quite the same) tactic drew some raised eyebrows when they talked about the extrapolated build rate at the end of December... If this is a solid week's on-going production, that will be different, and encouraging.

Reactions: dm33
Yes, absolutely. Though, the similar (not quite the same) tactic drew some raised eyebrows when they talked about the extrapolated build rate at the end of December... If this is a solid week's on-going production, that will be different, and encouraging.
I think there was more raised eyebrows over extrapolating a few days into 1000/wk. To a lessor degree, the statement about 700 cars over the last 7 working days in Dec also drew some controversy, but a lot of it was focused on what Tesla meant by "working days", implying that Tesla could be idling some days just to bank enough parts to do 700 cars.

This time, if there are no shutdown days for M3 production, and Tesla does make 2000 or even 2500 cars in the last week of March, I don't think there would be reason for such controversy as after Q4 announcement. Some people will point finger at Friday MS/X shutdown. Personally I think the MS/X shutdown is just to give an extra day off to M3 production crew for the Easter weekend. But even if Tesla need to put a few people on the M3 line for 1 day and that allows them to make 2500/wk, so what? It's still 2500 a week, how big of a deal is for them to keep doing that?

Since both S/X and 3 are moving through the lot. I'd say we should see 2000 S/X(52 weeks x 2000 is 104000 less time off) plus whatever the 3 is. so 4000 to 4500 cars a week. I know I've seen 9-10 cars put a lot of the carriers I see have only 8 plus the little white truck is less. So I'd say 8. 4000/8 is 500 trucks a week and 4500/8 is around 562 trucks. So per day we should be seeing 70ish trucks. Do they delivery 7 days a week though? I'm also going to guess they work mostly day hours.

I was at Dealer when they unloaded my car. it takes a good two hours to unload the truck. they could go faster if you don't mind a few dents and scratches.:eek: It's not easy getting them off. Mine was in a enclosed truck like the GO2 blue trucks with the white box on back.

Where is the Dodge dually. He must be on the road.

Again thanks for posting shots I like watching this progress.

• Informative
Reactions: immunogold
I was at Dealer when they unloaded my car. it takes a good two hours to unload the truck. they could go faster if you don't mind a few dents and scratches.:eek: It's not easy getting them off. Mine was in a enclosed truck like the GO2 blue trucks with the white box on back.

Where is the Dodge dually. He must be on the road.

Again thanks for posting shots I like watching this progress.
There has to be a better way to move this cars around. Two hours to load and 2 to unload. Maybe a new truck carrier design.

Reactions: immunogold
FC4D68D0-7CCF-4083-AB0E-57A63839F3C6.jpeg
F0773F74-4FFA-4EFE-83D3-3E2DFA27B36D.jpeg
3A865166-B9B4-4D75-A6BE-929975265B2F.jpeg
91A3DDA9-0D10-4D47-AC20-05F2677FED86.jpeg
5128D6F8-45C3-420E-8A71-7C055DCEF962.jpeg
A0381AAA-9AE1-40CC-9B5D-36EA28E1EF03.jpeg
7DB33FBE-073E-4FC2-A23D-E60A13974CB5.jpeg
4/2/18 around 845 am - m3’s fill the lot again and fewer S/X mixed in. 7 carriers loading with one leaving.