Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four hours free electric from Octopus this Xmas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as it’s just a form and also had what appears to be a unique code in it before the account number bit.
That’s the ID of the form as they use that software for all their forms it appears. Otherwise why would they also have the account number in the URL?

Maybe someone else that got the email can confirm it matches...

Computer Misuse / Fraud? Interesting take on it.

Is it wrong? The form is available unsecured unencrypted on the public internet. If they make it available surely thats because they want people to use it?;) You put your Account number on it so it’s not like you’re misleading them.

Its not in their interest to take action for what £2 electricity per customer. They’re not going to close accounts because they didn’t implement balances and checks.

Computer Misuse / Fraud? Interesting take on it.

Is it wrong? The form is available unsecured unencrypted on the public internet. If they make it available surely thats because they want people to use it?;) You put your Account number on it so it’s not like you’re misleading them.

Its not in their interest to take action for what £2 electricity per customer. They’re not going to close accounts because they didn’t implement balances and checks.
The same principle is that a burglar that steals from you because you left your front door open is still a burglar. ;)

The same principle is that a burglar that steals from you because you left your front door open is still a burglar. ;)

Surely this is more akin to you leaving it on the front lawn for anyone to see/take. Yes if you didn't make it obvious it was free, it's still stealing.

That being said, isn't xmas morning one of the lowest loads, and aren't Agile people saying it's likely to be paying them? If so, this isn't so much stealing as giving Octopus money, but taking the leccy off them.

Just a thought but... if you’re signing up for free electricity that you haven’t been offered by manipulating an electronic form that you haven’t been sent..... isn’t that a tad dodgy?
There’s a load of Twitter DMs flying around from OE and they’re adding account numbers into said form (from individuals saying they never received it)... looks like all we’re doing is skipping the DM part.

Fill your boots.

• Informative
Reactions: phil4 and ACarneiro
For those that didn't get an email, its personalised so don't rely on it working.

From horses mouth

upload_2020-12-24_10-14-21.png

They are still sending out individually sent personalised messages as of 2 hours ago.

For those that didn't get an email, its personalised so don't rely on it working.

From horses mouth

View attachment 620669

They are still sending out individually sent personalised messages as of 2 hours ago.
Correct... personalised by adding account number at end of URL as noted above and confirmed by other links on here.

Please correct me if any URLs look different

Could try this and add your account number at the end (replace “A-123456”)

Code:
example:
https://octopus.typeform.com/to/QdH2hfOo#kid=A-123456

Code:
https://octopus.typeform.com/to/QdH2hfOo#kid=A-12345678

Correct... personalised by adding account number at end of URL as noted above and confirmed by other links on here.

You'll be spot on. They'll be doing the DMs and telling people their personalised, because for the average Joe, that's exactly what they are. Yes, I know about parameter injection and using it, but I think we're in the minority.

Reactions: CMc1
Code:
https://octopus.typeform.com/to/QdH2hfOo#kid=A-12345678

I can confirm that my link is the same as that (but the link from the private message from Octopus to that link was a uuid).

It looks like its a promotion to get people to sign up to 30 minute billing? I wonder if you get the deal even without signing up as long as you had 30 minute billing enabled? We did which may explain why we didn't get the original link and I had to go 'begging'. tbh, its going to save us penny's - it finishes a little early to make too much difference on cooking the turkey and we aren't going anywhere in the car.

upload_2020-12-24_14-25-27.png

Reactions: CMc1