Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four reasons owning a Model S has been bad for me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At one time flying was a good experience, but then deregulation hit and now it's the equivalent of a bus ride only with more cramped seating--something to be avoided unless there is a substantial body of water between you and your destination.

I guess it all depends too. I am thinking of going to Chicago in a couple weeks. Non-stop tickets are about $200, or I could drive 14 hours. Other family members are flying in too though, so it might be nice to have my car for everyone to be comfortable if we can figure out where to park it.

I guess it all depends too. I am thinking of going to Chicago in a couple weeks. Non-stop tickets are about $200, or I could drive 14 hours. Other family members are flying in too though, so it might be nice to have my car for everyone to be comfortable if we can figure out where to park it.

Besides the two to three hour flight itself, there's the two to three hours that it takes to get from your house to being actually on the plane. Then there's the 45 minute wait for luggage (that hopefully makes it) plus the 45 minute wait for a rental car (that hopefully hasn't been smoked in or driven by someone eating the kind of chocolate that melts in your hands, and is also in reasonable mechanical condition).

Besides the two to three hour flight itself, there's the two to three hours that it takes to get from your house to being actually on the plane. Then there's the 45 minute wait for luggage (that hopefully makes it) plus the 45 minute wait for a rental car (that hopefully hasn't been smoked in or driven by someone eating the kind of chocolate that melts in your hands, and is also in reasonable mechanical condition).
And that is why I would rather drive my S from San Francisco to the LA area rather than fly. Sure the actual flight time is less than one hour. But the total door-to door-time can be 4 hours or more (and I live just 15 minutes from SFO). My door-to-door drive time is less than 7 hours and of course then on arrival I have my own car available to me instead of some crappy rental. Plus, driving the S is cheaper than flying.
Maybe in the future I'll be taking the Hyperloop for that trip, but I don't expect to be able to do that before 2025, if ever!

Wait, there are cons? nobody told me anything about cons! The wool has been pulled over my eyes. I'm going to go burn off this steam by driving around in my car for a few hours.... soooooo ANGRY!
HA!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, my forum name is Swahili for... cheetah. :p
Love it!

- - - Updated - - -

Have you taken a test drive yet, if you have not then don't until you are serious.
Too late for that: I took one two years ago. And the effect is still present...

True story:

Driving my day-old Model S with a friend on Friday, approaching a winding backroad at 10pm, I pulled over.

"What are you doing," she asked.

I got out.

"You're driving."

"What??," she replied. "But it's your new car. And I've never driven one before."

"It's ok. C'mon... you'll be fine."

She got into the driver's seat and we set up a profile for her.. mirrors, seat, steering wheel. Two minutes later we were flying through curves.

"It's amazing..." she whispered. "The cornering is unbelievable."

"You know you're going 90, right?" I said quietly.

"I am?"

Last edited:
Ha!! This is so much like how I did the wife,, She didn't want to drive the T because she knows how I am about my "Toys".

Since we have bought the T, we look for reasons to DRIVE---
It isn't anything for us to hunt up little out of the way stores, restaurants and odd road side curiosities.
So, in order to get my wife to share in the GRIN,, I drove about 125 miles to a dinning spot that we had read about.
Unbeknownst to her, I had planned on having her drive back home.
After we had eaten, and we were walking up to our baby, I walked to the passenger side and, got in.
I just sat there looking up at her with the Tesla Grin on my face.
She started Grinning like a true Teslaite and walked around to the driver's side and sat down.

I have never turned one of my babies over to another's hands, so soon after a purchase like that and she was very nervous about it.
((So was I because I knew, if you every drive a Tesla, you won't be willing to give it up, resistance is futile)).
I just smiled and helped her to set up her driver's profile, all the while talking to her like My DES did for me.

I am so proud of Tessie and I wanted my wife to understand my infatuation with the car.
Tessie is the only car I have been so confident in that I trust my wife to be able to understand it and love it like I do.
It's not 'Just A Car'. It's a mind set, a way of life and beliefs that border on awareness of righteousness.

I haven't really been one to just drive somewhere for no reason. I usually tackle the trip as something that must be done and completed,, Fast!
Therefore, all my cars have been the typical motor head type and I tire of them very quickly, but not the 'T',
Smooth, quiet,effortless to maneuver and did I mention the Warp Factor??

As the original OP stated, there ARE some drawbacks to owning a Tesla.
There is really is the matter of jealousy, but I tackled that one head on by sharing.
Then, there is the fact you are never home, time means nothing and you find that old friends become new friends.
And last but not least, too many places beckon you like a siren from the sea.
Come visit me,come try my wares, come dine with me, which brings me to the true fault with owning such a magic carpet ride.
How to master that growing waist line,,,,,,,,,, so many restaurants, fairs and elephant ears to try.
Dinners, Drive Inns and Dives, has become our new calling.

Totally agreed, I avoided a test drive like the plague... The day I finally broke down to take a test drive is the same day I ordered one
I felt the exact same way. I took my test drive in the San Jose, CA store in Santana Row. We didn't want to return right away due to a power outage in the area, which had shut down all the traffic lights. So we drove some more. I really wanted to see my desired interior/exterior color combo so the Tesla rep took me to a nearby service station so we could browse the inside of a bunch of other vehicles. I saw what I wanted, we went inside the service station, we borrowed a lap top, and configured my purchase right then and there - before we had even returned the Model S that we were test driving!

I told my family about this thread last night at dinner and I laughed, thinking they would find it hilarious. They suggested therapy.

Last edited:
For me it's

1.) On multiple occasions I may have mentioned owning a Tesla to get a date with a girl. Tesla = Elon Musk = Them having a crush on Elon Musk = date

2.) Hardly ever at home anymore. Never imagined owning a car where I would put so many miles on it. Rather ironic since I'm still frightened of hurting it, and its a HUGE car. I think Tesla should start releasing how many miles MORE a person with a Tesla drives than people without a Tesla. So people realize its not losing as much as it's gaining.

3.) I thought I was going to save money on gas, but failed to realize all the superchargers in my vicinity are at Outlet malls. Outlet malls have some really good deals on clothes. Obviously I'm going to need to be more disciplined when I supercharge.

4.) Some elements of uppity attitude that I've noticed. Self correcting. But, part of really wants to yell out "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!!"

Your wife and my wife should meet someday. They seem to think alike and have at least one subject they can talk about: their Tesla crazy husbands. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Well, now that you know all our little secrets, think carefully before pressing that order button.
You can no longer pretend that we didn't warn you... :wink:

My wife says I just need to install a bathroom in Tessie, so I could just live in her.
I also avoided a test drive for about a year, then ordered the day I took one.

We returned after a vacation and were excited to see the Tesla more than anything else. My son hugged the car as soon as the garage door opened.

We missed home but missed the car more, especially after driving ICE rentals for days.

hilarious thread... for me, I don't have a home charger, so I'll use the excuse to plug into a public charger to go for a walk/jog/day out. Gets me out of the house and moving.

I also have a charger at the office.... that could be both a good and bad thing for me ;-)

True story:

Driving my day-old Model S with a friend on Friday, approaching a winding backroad at 10pm, I pulled over.

I got out.

"You're driving."

"What??," she replied. "But it's your new car. And I've never driven one before."

She got into the driver's seat and we set up a profile for her.. mirrors, seat, steering wheel. Two minutes later we were flying through curves.

"I am?"

Okay, so for someone who's in the same area, inquiring minds would like to know what road that was done on... :)

#5. Weight gain. I've eaten an unnatural number of Dairy Queen Blizzards this summer. Yes, the DQ is close to my house, but there is also one west about an hour on a quiet highway, and another south a little more than an hour on a really quiet and winding highway. I'm finding more excuses to justify taking the wife for a Blizzard... or dinner... somewhere an hour or more away.

And oh, I've been told we owners are part of a cult... :redface::rolleyes: That can be a Good Thing, can't it??? :biggrin:

They suggested therapy.

My wife made me go to therapy because of Tesla and I don't even own one! For the non-owners, I would add that knowing about Tesla and having test driven one Model S makes you single-themed in conversations and, especially in Spain where practically no one knows about Tesla or EV's, it makes you sad when they don't understand your hype about model x, model 3, powerwall, gigafactory, autopilot, ludicrous mode,... Thank God I found the best place to share my craziness :).

True story:

I got out.

"You're driving."

"I am?"

Smart Man! I guess my only fear about letting my wife drive it is then she'll want to take it to work when I'm working at home (which is 90% of the time.)