Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free 1 year supercharging on all M3 for rest of September 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh. Q2. Oops. Hehe. I still want my free year of supercharging for supporting Tesla early on.

LOL, then I should definitely get free supercharging before you do! I took delivery in January and mine is a 2017 model with a VIN of less than 2000!! If we are using “early supporter” as the yardstick here. I get folks who took delivery last week complaining, but folks who took delivery months ago? You have probably saved more money in gas in that amount of time than the supercharging is worth assuming the 3 replaced an ICE.

I will just be happy if I end up getting a key fob for free like the various articles are reporting - that would be awesome for Tesla to do.

I didn’t get a diecast model either - I am more salty about that than I am about the free supercharging, honestly.

Free supercharging for a year is not a compelling demand lever. For an average driver it probably amounts to about $100-$200 cash value. Tesla is trying to move inventory cars so it makes sense to offer some incentive. I dont think people who too delivery prior to this offer have been screwed. It really doesnt move the needle very much.

Free supercharging for a year is not a compelling demand lever. For an average driver it probably amounts to about $100-$200 cash value. Tesla is trying to move inventory cars so it makes sense to offer some incentive. I dont think people who too delivery prior to this offer have been screwed. It really doesnt move the needle very much.
No it amounts to about $1000

Average 15,000 miles a year. Each kw gets about 4 miles.

15,000/4 * $0.26 = $975

15,000/4 * $0.26 = $975

Yeah but you need to live next to a supercharger for this to be attractive. I' ve had my M3 for almost 3 months now, never ever needed to supercharge, always done at home. In order to get the $1,000, you'd need to do supercharging only, which is really not convenient at all unless the supercharger is in front of where your live.

Yeah but you need to live next to a supercharger for this to be attractive. I' ve had my M3 for almost 3 months now, never ever needed to supercharge, always done at home. In order to get the $1,000, you'd need to do supercharging only, which is really not convenient at all unless the supercharger is in front of where your live.
It’s next to where I work.

I have a SC within two miles of my house and I still just plug in at home. It’s definitely more convenient and of course cheaper with the Model 3, but I find myself plugging in at home with the Model S too. It’s simply more convenient.

What electricity plan are you on? If i plug in at home it bumps everything to $0.35 a kw at tier 3. And that’s all electricity being used. Appliances and car charging.

California utility rates are too high for electric car charging at home.

Can anyone confirm they got this deal. I inquired as well and was told that it did not exist

I didn't actually take the deal, but I can confirm that for P3D+ models the deal does exist.

I called the main Tesla number (8885183752) this morning to ask and at first they seemed confused, but eventually they said it was true. They told me to call the nearest Tesla store to find out what inventory they had available to move.

I called the the Tesla store in Plano, TX and spoke with 2 people who both confirmed that they had a MSM/white Performance, PUP, EAP, FSD available for immediate delivery and I would get free lifetime supercharging with it. After further discussion, they told me that all the performance models currently in Texas available for accelerated delivery would be fully loaded like this. I was briefly tempted, but I think I'm about 6 weeks away from a DBM/black, 19", AWD, EAP model.

The ~15K upcharge with tax puts the total over 80K which is just too rich for my blood, but I could have had it today if I wanted it.

So the deal is real.

What electricity plan are you on? If i plug in at home it bumps everything to $0.35 a kw at tier 3. And that’s all electricity being used. Appliances and car charging.

We live in CA and our utility company charges about $0.19/kWh. We have been charging two electric cars at home for a few years and don’t find the rates to be unreasonable. For a Model 3, that would be about 4.5 cents a mile vs a gas car, say BMW 328i, at closer to 15 cents a mile.

We don’t have solar, but if we did, we’d be generating roughly 7000kWh per year, according to NREL calculator, which would be about 29,000 miles on a Model 3. Obviously, not all of that generation would go to charging the EVs, but the overall cost per mile when charging at home would drop even more. So at least for my household, the convenience of plugging in at home far outweighs having to drive to a supercharger a couple of miles away and waiting there for 30-60 minutes.

Our supercharger use would be when we travel. That’s a major benefit because it extends our range and freedom to travel. Thanks to Tesla’s reasonable pricing for supercharger use, that would only cost us $200-$300 a year.

Long story, but the point is, in our case the offer of free year of supercharging would do very little to influence our purchase decision.

Reactions: gavine

You have to switch to the TOU plans to make it work. Then be able to charge at night for the cheap rates which are .14/kWh with my utility, SCE. Before solar I was on TOU-D-B, which worked out well.

Reactions: Jedi2155

Ouch! In Indy our electricity rates are much lower. We pay a flat $0.12 per kWh with Duke Energy; they don’t offer any special rates for EVs. However, Indianapolis Power and Light offers a very low rate for EVs, which is around $0.03 per kWh. I think this is only during off-peak hours, say midnight to 6am.

Tiered rates don't make much sense with an EV unless you use/drive very little. TOU rates make so much more sense. Consider the following SCE TOU Rates if SCE is your provider.

. For an average driver it probably amounts to about $100-$200 cash value.

15,000/4 * $0.26 = $975
It’s next to where I work.

You realize that you are not the "average driver" right? That most Tesla drivers don't have access to a Supercharger next to where they work or live. I drive by a SC a few times a week right off of I-95 at a rest stop, and I could easily pull in, and charge up for 45 minutes once or twice a week. But it's a total waste of time for the few dollars I'd save over the convenience of just charging (currently at 120v!) in my garage.

What @EVfirst said was accurate. For the AVERAGE driver, the free supercharging does not have a huge value, but it is a big psychological demand lever.

Reactions: neroden
We live in CA and our utility company charges about $0.19/kWh. We have been charging two electric cars at home for a few years and don’t find the rates to be unreasonable. For a Model 3, that would be about 4.5 cents a mile vs a gas car, say BMW 328i, at closer to 15 cents a mile.

You clearly don’t have so cal Edison. Sounds like Anaheim to me where the max is $0.19 and lifeline (first 10 kw is $0.12)

You realize that you are not the "average driver" right? That most Tesla drivers don't have access to a Supercharger next to where they work or live. I drive by a SC a few times a week right off of I-95 at a rest stop, and I could easily pull in, and charge up for 45 minutes once or twice a week. But it's a total waste of time for the few dollars I'd save over the convenience of just charging (currently at 120v!) in my garage.

What @EVfirst said was accurate. For the AVERAGE driver, the free supercharging does not have a huge value, but it is a big psychological demand lever.
That’s correct I’m not. Cuz I have a rip off utility. So free SC benefits me. So you and EVFirst can’t tell me that it’s not that beneficial for me to want free SC.