Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free airport parking in Honolulu is back!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up that I successfully spent 5 days in airport parking last week with my paper plate license plate and managed to exit at no cost. I wrote my name, phone number, and "paper temp EV license plate" on ticket. Checkout lady was very nice, wanted me to verify the expiration date for the temp plates (I said 3/19} and then drive out slowly so that she could verify. All was good! I can't guarantee this will work for everyone because the checkout lady was so nice, but it worked for me.My point is that it's worth a try if you have a paper license that says "electric vehicle" on it.

Just a quick update...I got back to the airport after my 1/2 - 1/8 HNL-LAX trip, curious if my paper plates would hold up getting out for free. Nice local lady/cashier recognized my Tesla 3 was EV and asked me to write my Name, Phone #, and License Plate. Since I didn't have one, and felt bad making one up, I wrote out my entire VIN number out. She looked at it funny, said "Oh you have only temporary plates?" and then I admitted I did but I would get real plates as soon as possible. She didn't seem to care, just punched/wrote something in somewhere, and waved me through...Saved me $108!

I have another 1-night trip for a Maui wedding this wkd and a longer 12-day trip to SE Asia probably end of this month, which will be my last trips before I hopefully get my license plates/real registration sent to me by Tesla (Side Note: How long did it take most Hawaii people to get their EV plates/real registration paperwork after pickup?). Hopefully people continue to be kind, especially for my longer trip

Will keep updating...I don't think this free EV parking will last for long! My just best guess is that as the EV usage/ownership continues to climb and climb, the state will just clamp down and finally revise the statute...Probably within the next 2 years max. Hopefully there's some way to ensure/petition to leave SOME free parking incentive (like 1-2 nights of free parking per ticket per EV car...or more?)

If it looks like the end is near sometime in the future, I'd be happy to set up a petition & collect signatures/try to contact whoever is sponsoring the bill to try to get it amended. Something is better than nothing!

So one more update, went to Maui for that 1 day trip and parking attendant also didn't blink an eye, just had me write on the ticket again. I'm off on a 10 day trip to Malaysia/SE Asia this time (1/28 - 2/7, writing from Langkawi Island now), and hoping it will happen again, but like everyone else has mentioned I realized that by the letter of the law, I'm lucky so I will take what I can get. I possibly have another weekend trip to Vegas on President's Day Wkd 2/16 - 2/18, so I'm really hoping my plates come in by then, especially since I travel about 1x a month on average. Will update on my experience later.

As for when this benefit will run out, I would hope there is some combination of rescinding the benefit for hybrids first (do they get the same benefits for Parking Meter/Airport Parking also? Feel like there are way too many Toyota Prius Hybrids to allow that long term, although I read an interesting article that states sales are plummeting, and Toyota is actually thinking of discontinuing it as they mass-market their electric versions of Camry/Corolla/etc more) AND/OR maybe grandfathering certain electric cars bought before a certain time, like by the date the bill goes into effect?

For example, in California with the EV bumper stickers that allow people to use the Carpool/HOV lane, you only got it if you got your Pruis/Tesla/etc BEFORE a certain time, and then they didn't allow them for people who bought later. Much in the same way they are phasing out the Tax Refund for Tesla by the 2nd quarter of this year/only giving it to early Tesla buyers. But that would require a separate sticker possibly...Or maybe just letting parking attendants/enforcement/etc know that if a certain EV license plate is ABOVE a certain number they don't qualify for benefits and if it's BELOW a certain number, then they do. That would just get messy I think and again possibly enforcement would be confusing. It actually lead to that thing where used Toyota Pruises that were bought earlier and had the sticker were selling on the used car market for MORE than a car that was later model but didn't have it, just for the HOV lane benefit.

More likely, they would just start slowly phasing out parking/HOV benefits whenever the bill passes. Although I don't see why they couldn't keep the free 2.5 hours parking meter benefit ad infinitum, honestly. You gotta dangle SOME carrot in front of EV owners to help people switch! :p

They should also change the law to limit EV plates to only pure electric vehicles. I see way too many BMW X5 and Porsche hybrids that get to have EV plates because of the silly loopholes in the current requirement. If it has a tailpipe, it shouldn't qualify!

While I'm in this fantasy, they should also provide that currently registered EV hybrids would have their regular plates re-issued upon renewal.

They should also change the law to limit EV plates to only pure electric vehicles. I see way too many BMW X5 and Porsche hybrids that get to have EV plates because of the silly loopholes in the current requirement. If it has a tailpipe, it shouldn't qualify!

While I'm in this fantasy, they should also provide that currently registered EV hybrids would have their regular plates re-issued upon renewal.

I have been saying for a long time they need to revise the definition of what an EV is. 100% electric. their definition of what an EV is may have helped with the adoption of EVs. but a hybrid is not an EV:eek:

• Love
Reactions: thetravelingdr
I expect the open-ended free airport parking will go away and the free period will be defined as part of the amendments for HB238 since DOT/DAGS doesn't seem very happy with the excessive use. But some free parking is better than no free parking! :)

Yeah. As much as I enjoy the convenience of it, it's not sustainable with the large amount of new EV's flooding our roadways. I'm sad, but happy at the same time.

Reactions: nanimac
I'm planning to leave my Tesla at HNL Airport tomorrow (3/20) for a mainland trip. I assume the old rules are still in effect and allow for multiple day stays at the airport in an EV without a fee. If anyone knows the exact date the airport parking becomes time limited, please share here.

I'm planning to leave my Tesla at HNL Airport tomorrow (3/20) for a mainland trip. I assume the old rules are still in effect and allow for multiple day stays at the airport in an EV without a fee. If anyone knows the exact date the airport parking becomes time limited, please share here.

Still free. Bill is still moving through the system so may not even get approved at all.

We should have a 3 hour 55 minute meet-up at the airport parking lot if it does pass.:D

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki and mociaf9
Still free. Bill is still moving through the system so may not even get approved at all.

We should have a 3 hour 55 minute meet-up at the airport parking lot if it does pass.:D

Haha, one of us flies to Maui, picks up a box of Crispy Creme donuts, then the club meets at the airport for coffee and donuts. It could happen ; )

• Funny
Reactions: nanimac and Akikiki
Today's article in the Star Advertiser on the tight airport parking partially blames EVs for the lack of parking. The article mentions 10-20% of stalls are taken by EVs, and a lot of airport employees use EVs to get free parking. I never realized it, but now it makes sense why there's so many EVs in the lot - they're all employees, not travelers.

Yep, the airport and airline employees have gone nuts at HNL with EVs. Driving in to park yesterday I saw lots of S and X vehicles. I love to think this is what any parking lot is going to look like in a few years. It's proof that incentives work (maybe too well sometimes). The good news is that once many of these people have tried an EV, they're probably never going back to ICE. EVs are just that more satisfying an experience.

I'm going on a 3 week trip in mid April and was hoping to park my Tesla for free at HNL . I'd hate to return to a huge bill when I get home cause they changed their mind while I was away.

Copterguy, I think we'll get word of the change coming. It'd really be a good idea to give a friend access to your Tesla so they could rescue it before the fees start to apply. You could use your smartphone to enable a one-way drive from the airport to another location. Alternatively, if you were going to miss the cutoff by just a few days, you could give a friend access to check your car out, drive around the airport, and then repark under a new ticket.

Reactions: Akikiki
Copterguy, I think we'll get word of the change coming. It'd really be a good idea to give a friend access to your Tesla so they could rescue it before the fees start to apply. You could use your smartphone to enable a one-way drive from the airport to another location. Alternatively, if you were going to miss the cutoff by just a few days, you could give a friend access to check your car out, drive around the airport, and then repark under a new ticket.
I called the parking office and asked She said as long as it's an ev just show the gate guard