Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Electricity from SSE !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SSE have just introduced a 1 year Fix and Drive Tariff. So free electricity between 00:00 and 07:00. I'm already with them so have switched to use. I'm loving how my Tesla purchase keeps on giving ! So here is my stupid question. Can the car be told to charge at certain times or do I have to do it from my Zappi II Charger app. If I plug the car in when I get home can I tell it or the charger to not start charging until the low rate starts ?

I've looked at the EDF tariff and it's probably about the best for me right now but there seems to be new BEV-friendly tariffs being announced every week so I might just wait a bit longer to see how the market responds. I've switched 3 times in the last few months because of smart meter issues and tariffs not being available after they've been announced, so I'm a bit wary of new offers right now...

Reactions: Obliter8
SSE have just introduced a 1 year Fix and Drive Tariff. So free electricity between 00:00 and 07:00. I'm already with them so have switched to use. I'm loving how my Tesla purchase keeps on giving ! So here is my stupid question. Can the car be told to charge at certain times or do I have to do it from my Zappi II Charger app. If I plug the car in when I get home can I tell it or the charger to not start charging until the low rate starts ?
No such thing as a stupid question!

You can schedule the car to start charging at midnight, but the car doesn’t have any way to set a stop time, just “stop when you reach this % charge”. I think that’s daft, as virtually every other EV includes a start and stop timer.

I don’t have a Zappi, but as it’s a smart charger I’m sure you should be able to set start/stop times in the app or on the charger itself. Perhaps a Zappi owner can chip in.

2,000 kW doesn't sound like a lot for a whole year.

~50 full charges of a BMW i3 120Ah.
Depending how hard you drive your M3, 2000kWh equates to between 6000-7000 miles a year for free. Although of course you’re paying a bit more for all your other electricity.

Those same 2000kWh would cost £100 on the Octopus GO tariff, to put the deal into perspective. So it really depends whether the higher daytime rate is going to cost you more than an extra 28p a day. If it would, Octopus GO would be cheaper.

If anyone wants a referral code for Octopus (we both get a £50 bill credit) please message me. To message me tap my username then tap Start a Conversation.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Yev000 and kuruma
So here is my stupid question. Can the car be told to charge at certain times or do I have to do it from my Zappi II Charger app. If I plug the car in when I get home can I tell it or the charger to not start charging until the low rate starts ?

There is currently a known issue with the Zappi and Model 3 where the Model 3 doesn't start charging if it is asleep when the timed boost starts so...

Set a scheduled charge on the car to start at 00:00
Set a timed boost on the Zappi to start at 00:00 for 7 hours and leave the Zappi in eco+ mode

Those same 2000kWh would cost £100 on the Octopus GO tariff, to put the deal into perspective. So it really depends whether the higher daytime rate is going to cost you more than an extra 28p a day. If it would, Octopus GO would be cheaper.

It is actually a lot worse than that.

They use the same rate all day, and the 2000kWh 'free' allowance is spread over the year, so any excess night time usage above the portion of the free power you use is charged at the full 17p or so each day.

I imagine most of us have some night use over and above our car charging so it isn't going to be hard to get caught out by this 'free' offer...

If anyone wants a referral code for Octopus (we both get a £50 bill credit) please message me. To message me tap my username then tap Start a Conversation.

... or anyone else that currently uses Octopus... :)

No such thing as a stupid question!

You can schedule the car to start charging at midnight, but the car doesn’t have any way to set a stop time, just “stop when you reach this % charge”. I think that’s daft, as virtually every other EV includes a start and stop timer.

I don’t have a Zappi, but as it’s a smart charger I’m sure you should be able to set start/stop times in the app or on the charger itself. Perhaps a Zappi owner can chip in.

Thank you. I will look in the scheduled charging my model 3.

Reactions: Roy W.
I set my aTesla to start charging at 00:30 and initially set my Rolec to have the Tesla fully charged by 07:00. So far it’s worked perfectly with the ev.energy app sorting it all out - charging at various times during that period. This was all done whilst using SSE power, albeit standard rate. I have since changed to Octopus and in anticipation of my new GO tariff and the fitting of a new smart meter, I changed the charging period from “On” at 00:30 and “Fully Charged” by 04:30. All working well so I think I am ready for cheap night time charging as soon as Octopus switch me over. :cool:

Reactions: Roy W.
Not sure if this is covered upthread or not, but I have had some quotes from Octopus Go for a new Tesla today, included in their quote is an offer of 8000 free miles (which is actually a £100 credit, based on assumed efficiency at the overnight rate) on moving to the Octopus Go tariff.

This is a promotion linked to the EV sale, so is also valid for existing Octopus customers on other tariffs switching to Go.

Free miles are only valid up front (not every year), but something else to consider in the mix if you happen to be tying in a new lease with an energy tariff.

Reactions: Durzel
Not sure if this is covered upthread or not, but I have had some quotes from Octopus Go for a new Tesla today, included in their quote is an offer of 8000 free miles (which is actually a £100 credit, based on assumed efficiency at the overnight rate) on moving to the Octopus Go tariff.

This is a promotion linked to the EV sale, so is also valid for existing Octopus customers on other tariffs switching to Go.

Free miles are only valid up front (not every year), but something else to consider in the mix if you happen to be tying in a new lease with an energy tariff.
If you do order a car be sure to give them a Tesla referral code to be used on your order. It give us both 1000 free Supercharger miles. Send me a message if you’d like my code ;););)