Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free premium Connectivity ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen anyone mention yet - if I subscribe now, does it take payment today? Or once the trial expires on 18 May?
From the first day after the trial ends. Got this line in the subscription email after I signed up:

The complimentary period for Premium Connectivity expires on 18 May 2020. You will be auto-billed monthly starting 19 May 2020

You can now pay for the Premium Connectivity from your Tesla account costing £9.99 per month. Bugger, oh well i got 2 months free and it's still working at the moment

EDIT - i think it only became available today as i still have it for a month, expiring on 18th May
I just received the same email askinf me for the £9.99 p/m too - but I am left wondering what exactly am I getting for this - is it just the traffic updates because if that is the case I am not sure it is worth it when I have Waze? Does the £9.99 include a subscription to Spotify? if it does then perhaps it is worth it - otherwise I need convincing? Any advice is appreciated - thanks in advance

I just received the same email askinf me for the £9.99 p/m too - but I am left wondering what exactly am I getting for this - is it just the traffic updates because if that is the case I am not sure it is worth it when I have Waze? Does the £9.99 include a subscription to Spotify? if it does then perhaps it is worth it - otherwise I need convincing? Any advice is appreciated - thanks in advance
Effectively your £9.99 a month is paying for unlimited LTE data, including roaming abroad, for your car. You can use this data to listen to Spotify, using the Tesla account included with Premium Connectivity. You also get the satellite view of the map, and live traffic data shown on the map. Without the payment, the car still uses the live traffic info when planning a route, but it doesn’t show on the map. If you’re so inclined, you can also use the data to watch YouTube when parked.

There’s a good summary of the two packages here:
[URL="https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/4643676/"]Free premium Connectivity ending[/URL]

Have you turned the sat and traffic on using the buttons on the map?
Hmmm... yep, there they are. Def didn't have those when I picked up the car in Sept because we went over every single button when we went through the manual cover to cover.

Managed life entirely without it and I can do everything else from my phone so I won't be paying.

The only thing we might miss is doing the Guardian cryptic together in the browser.

Hmmm... yep, there they are. Def didn't have those when I picked up the car in Sept because we went over every single button when we went through the manual cover to cover.

Managed life entirely without it and I can do everything else from my phone so I won't be paying.

The only thing we might miss is doing the Guardian cryptic together in the browser.

Do you have an SR+? They didn’t ship with those originally. Those options only came to the SR+ around when the subscription option launched in the US in mid December. They enabled all SR+ with Premium Connectivity here at that point (for free). This enabled the satellite maps and on screen traffic as well as access to the Tesla Spotify account (When 10.0 launched, it brought Spotify to SR+ but you had to have a premium account to use it).

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado and Roy W.
Do you have an SR+? They didn’t ship with those originally. Those options only came to the SR+ around when the subscription option launched in the US in mid December. They enabled all SR+ with Premium Connectivity here at that point (for free). This enabled the satellite maps and on screen traffic as well as access to the Tesla Spotify account (When 10.0 launched, it brought Spotify to SR+ but you had to have a premium account to use it).

I’m not sure that’s correct, I have SR+ and I had Spotify with 10.0 and have never had a premium account!

You get

Satellite Maps
Traffic visualisations ( the nav will still take traffic into account with or without these)
Music streaming (with access to the Tesla Spotify Account and Tunein Internet Radio)
Caraoke
Web Browser
Youtube and Netflix (the latter you need your own personal account for)

without the subscription you get

Basic Navigation
DAB Radio
you can use Bluetooth to stream from your phone

I’m not sure that’s correct, I have SR+ and I had Spotify with 10.0 and have never had a premium account!

That’s interesting. You may have been a lucky one. I’m an Apple Music subscriber so had to get a Premium Spotify Subscription as the “Use Tesla Account” wasn’t there when v10 landed. I noticed it show up in late dec/jan as I had to let my Premium subscription lapse to register it as my Vodafone freebie. It seems like this was the case for most SR+ owners. Who knows though. How early was your order? Was it an early pre order thing that grandfathered in?

That’s interesting. You may have been a lucky one. I’m an Apple Music subscriber so had to get a Premium Spotify Subscription as the “Use Tesla Account” wasn’t there when v10 landed. I noticed it show up in late dec/jan as I had to let my Premium subscription lapse to register it as my Vodafone freebie. It seems like this was the case for most SR+ owners. Who knows though. How early was your order? Was it an early pre order thing that grandfathered in?

My order was in June and delivery end September.

OK so here's a strange update. I decided to subscribe so I went into the Tesla account page just now to process it and the option has completely disappeared. When I open my car details page it says "Free Unlimited" under my Premium Connectivity options. Is anyone else seeing this?

Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 17.31.16.png
Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 17.31.22.png

So from that link...

As I have the 3 performance with premium interior I have the trial for a year?

I'm not too bothered with the quality as my hearing is past its best (I can't hear upper frequencies anymore) so I'm OK with Spotify....

In reality I won't be paying the £10 a month when this runs our as its just not worth it to me.

What is frustrating is the fact that if you tether WiFi to phone, it disconnects this as soon as you start driving.

Yep, This is the bit lots of folks don't get. I have a Mifi in my motorhome and I'm never in that and the car at the same time so I tries it before I got the freebie trial. Yep. Disconnects when you drive so it's only useful for Netflix or YouTube when supercharging or similar.

Yep, This is the bit lots of folks don't get. I have a Mifi in my motorhome and I'm never in that and the car at the same time so I tries it before I got the freebie trial. Yep. Disconnects when you drive so it's only useful for Netflix or YouTube when supercharging or similar.

I thought this too but someone posted that you can manually shift back to wifi whilst in drive and using a mobile hot spot (I haven't tried yet).

I thought this too but someone posted that you can manually shift back to wifi whilst in drive and using a mobile hot spot (I haven't tried yet).

Yes you can do this. I use this capability when travelling on the continent when I cross international borders. The Tesla SIM takes ages to swap to the new country so I tether as I drive as my phone switches much quicker.

Yes you can do this. I use this capability when travelling on the continent when I cross international borders. The Tesla SIM takes ages to swap to the new country so I tether as I drive as my phone switches much quicker.

Fair enough.

I think we're arriving at that point where all you need to decide is whether or not you will notice being £10 poorer or if you want a lot of faffing about. I wonder how many people feel like it's £10 evaporating because you don't get anything physical but it's ok to spend £450.00 to have your boot and bonnet open without touching it?

This'll run and run I'm sure but I've just paid it and it'll just work. Does that make me a spendthrift? (I'm sure my Mother would be horrified!)

Reactions: Durzel