Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free premium Connectivity ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I'm bewildered here. I also got the Premium Connectivity ending in May email, but although we can use spotify, browser, YouTube etc, we've never had satellite maps or traffic data. What in fact do we have then cos it sure doesn't look like Premium to me?

Not wanting to teach and you probably already have.

Have you turned the sat and traffic on using the buttons on the map?

One way to think about this is Tesla now want £120 per year for Premium Connectivity vs the now £310 saving we have from not having to pay VED. Whilst I am not the biggest user of Spotify (but our young son loves having it), I do really like the satellite maps. I know its not worth the money but the alternative of not having the satellite maps and using your phone to 'stream' Spotify isn't ideal for me and therefore i will just think of this as using the saving from VED to fund Premium Connectivity and still have some money left over

Personally I've never used satellite view in the car, as it's too "busy".
I've got unlimited data on my phone, so I wish they wouldn't stop WiFi when going into drive, but as I can use DAB, then I'm definitely not paying £10 / month in August... Assuming we can drive by then.

I don't have much use for any of the features day to day but might find worth having while road tripping. Looks as if you can order it for a month and then cancel . Cancellation of course cannot be done online, I mean they wouldn't want to make it too easy would they! you have to contact customer services and we all know how easy that is!
Technically it is also possible to sign up then cancel within 14days for a full refund. So if you only wanted it for a week long trip you could do that. Not sure how many times you would get away with that though :)

Mine is the cheapest car to run I have ever owned bar none, so £120 a year is nothing to be concerned about, add to that its costing me £350 less in VED than expected.
I agree its not a lot of money for what you get IF the features are something you use. The dilemma for a lot of us is that although not that much money it feels like a lot for something we would rarely use. Traffic visualisation is the only thing I would miss and £120 for that suddenly sounds like a lot, especially as they aren't even that good. My old TomTom was much better and that was free for life!

Reactions: MrBadger
I don't think traffic visualisation or even sat images would add up to a huge amount of data, especially compared to how much the car probably uses when calling mother, so surprised that these are so called premium features especially traffic which I would think is pretty standard on many cars these days, or free or minimal cost on many apps - I pay around £7-8/year for live traffic on my sat nav app - hardly worth Tesla charging for.

I must admit I've never used sat images in the car, but someone mentioned it being useful for locating superchargers at services - I can see the benefit in that as not always clear or accurate.

Seems like they're missing a trick not having something like POIs (e.g. speed camera database) included in Premium connectivity. They're also shooting themselves in the foot somewhat allowing all this stuff to work off a tethered hotspot. There's little incentive for people to pay for a subscription if they can use an easy workaround that achieves 90% of it.

Reactions: Chalks99 and ajp558
Seems like they're missing a trick not having something like POIs (e.g. speed camera database) included in Premium connectivity. They're also shooting themselves in the foot somewhat allowing all this stuff to work off a tethered hotspot. There's little incentive for people to pay for a subscription if they can use an easy workaround that achieves 90% of it.

But doesn't a tethered hot spot only work when you are in Park?

I have a MS and M3. The MS seems to have the whole premium connectivity pack, however the M3 has everything put the live traffic visualisation. Spotify works just like it does on the MS. Bit confused? I would have expected the M3 to either have the lot or nothing at all.

What will I lose from the M3? The convenience on using Spotify on the big screen is worth the £120 for me.

Funnily enough I was a "yes, no question's asked" to whether I'd pay for Premium originally.

However now the time has come, I'm not sure. I don't use satellite and I actually find traffic distracting and not as clean as Google (the fact that it shows you traffic everywhere, not just on your route, for example).

The rest is doable via WiFi and since I used to always use my phone anyway it's sort of a non-issue.

If anyone isn't aware of apps such as Tasker, you can set up simple tasks to say "if phone is connect to Tesla then turn mobile hotspot on" etc which I think, for me, will be more than sufficient.

I don't think traffic visualisation or even sat images would add up to a huge amount of data, especially compared to how much the car probably uses when calling mother, so surprised that these are so called premium features especially traffic which I would think is pretty standard on many cars these days, or free or minimal cost on many apps - I pay around £7-8/year for live traffic on my sat nav app - hardly worth Tesla charging for.

I must admit I've never used sat images in the car, but someone mentioned it being useful for locating superchargers at services - I can see the benefit in that as not always clear or accurate.

I am betting that the charge for satellite maps is not only covering the data but the licensing charges they pay to Google to use them. With that many cars on the road, they will be certainly paying for API access at this point.

Tesla hurt themselves long term when they enabled the browser for non-premium when netflix was added.. originally without premium connectivity you got nothing like that, now you can rig something with a wifi hotspot quite easily.

I wonder whether they'll start locking it down again if the takeup isn't what they hoped.