TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fremont SC only drawing 10A on my car.

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by seclinton, Sep 20, 2015.

1. seclinton

seclinton Member

So we took the trusty 2013 CPO P85 to the Fremont SC about 1.5 hours ago, and plugged in. My car was only drawing 10A and i tried several SC spots at the factory.

Took the car home and it's plugged in and pulling a nice quiet 29A on my Siemans Versicharge no problem.

The sales guy checked and said nothing's wrong with the SC stations.

Looks like i am calling the Service Center Monday to bring her in for a look.

Anyone know a way to reset the chargers without a factory car reset?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

What state of charge percentage were you at when you tried to Supercharge?

3. seclinton

seclinton Member

#3 seclinton, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    47 miles and about 25%.
    Never had this issue until now, also seems like the touchscreen is lagging. a reset seems to fix that, but its now starting to freeze. Can't help but think they are related.

4. seclinton

seclinton Member

IMG_0061.JPG

Looks like it might be car related. Seems even at home, I'm pulling ~50% of what current should be at. Hello service center call.

5. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

A bad contactor is my guess.

6. seclinton

seclinton Member

#6 seclinton, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    Yup, probably and now it shows as Charging Complete at 55 miles. Any idea on if it is the contactor how long to repair? Is it replace the contactor or replace battery? IMG_0062.jpg

7. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

If the car detects a contactor that's stuck open or closed, it paints the screen with warning messages and shuts down the car. It's not the contactor.

8. seclinton

seclinton Member

Well, I called and emails the Service Center (closed on Sundays), so if nothing by 9:00AM tomorrow, I'll stop by the service center as the factory is on the way to my work.

9. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Have you rebooted both displays and tried started charging again at home?

10. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Two thoughts:

1. You should try a reboot as mentioned. Do you have dual chargers, or single charger in the car?

2. The Supercharger (DC charging) is independent from the AC charging, so you can't compare the 10A at Supercharger from 29A at home.

11. seclinton

seclinton Member

So I plugged in the travel charger on a the 120V outlet in the garage and that seemed to be ok. After some searching I did the hard reset (top two buttons, also reset main display with two middle buttons)

it it seems the home charger is working and that did the trick. We shall see in a few hours.

1. +1 for the reboot advice confirmed via a search for hard reset
    3. Yup, this is a P85, dual chargers and many supercharger visits in the now 56k+ miles on her

12. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

That's if it has completely failed. There have been other reports of higher internal resistance from the contactor confusing the BMS.

13. seclinton

seclinton Member

Well, the reset seemed to work. I'm at the Fremont SC now and it's looking good. Charged up to 100 miles at home at 29A, and it seems ok.

Ill keep eel an eye out if this happens again and bring it in for service.

image.jpeg

14. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

When in doubt, bounce the screens ;)

Glad it worked for this issue.

15. seclinton

seclinton Member

Yup, tipping the car sideways seems to have fixed the issue.

In seriousness, Tesla wrote back and initiated a log check. They will let me know if they find anything from the car logs. That's a nice way to diagnose remotely.

16. MrBravo

MrBravo Member

We had a similar situation at the SC north of Stockholm (Sweden). I plugged in at the service center supercharger and came back in an hour (after breakfast). The car was drawing 10A. The person working for Tesla said they "have a problem today". Could it be that they had a similar problem but did not notice, because they still charge? Anyway... solved.

17. seclinton

seclinton Member

Nope. no problem with the chargers as other cars were charging no problem and also my home Level 2 had no issue charging my Nissan Leaf.

Email back from service logs indicated a "Gateway" issue. In short, the comms between units seem to have failed and a "reboot" of the "Computer" was all that was needed. Top two buttons on the steering wheel held for a 60s count and two cycles of the Tesla logo ensured a reset and all is fine now.

I tested at home and SC last night and no problems with the car today.

18. tom66

tom66 Member

If I were to guess, a coolant problem, and the car is thermally limiting during charging. Is acceleration or other performance adversely affected? What about regen?

19. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Is that true? I heard there is a relay that has to close in the master charger in order for the SpC cabinet to be directly connected to the pack.

Coolant problems usually trigger "Vehicle systems very hot. Charge speed reduced."

Really wish we had read-only access to the diag screens. It would save us a lot of time troubleshooting and avoid having to get Tesla involved.

20. Spacela

Spacela Member

You're sort of correct. There is a relay, but its in the high voltage junction box. This routes power away from the chargers and directly into the pack when the car is DC charging. Its completely independent from AC charging.