Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From a Merc C Class to a 3 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we are into the subject of generalisations, I don't really understand why Americans don't like buttons. Some functions are much better executed with buttons.

At least in my view, the generalizations on this is just good-natured banter. After all, a German company (BMW) pioneered the modern "button-free" auto interior with the original iDrive, before adding some buttons back in later generation of iDrive.

At least in my view, the generalizations on this is just good-natured banter. After all, a German company (BMW) pioneered the modern "button-free" auto interior with the original iDrive, before adding some buttons back in later generation of iDrive.
Yeah, I think it's more the styling esthetic than the actual buttons. MB interior is soooo busy. He's a 5 year old Caddy interior. I wouldn't call that button-free. ;) Why? Because it's a luxury car with lots of features to control. It's got all that wood trim and some shiny bit but still it's a lot cleaner look overall, the "busy" look isn't spread quite as much.

2013_cadillac_cts_coupe_dashboard.jpg

Quite right. My comment wasn't meant as an insult or anything like it anyway. But I really think that buttons are sometimes better than screens. Other times not so much. I simply think Tesla went a little overboard on the 3 in terms of oversimplification, thus complicating some use cases more than would be necessary if some primary functions like the ones I mentioned above were implemented in the tradtional form of buttons.

Quite right. My comment wasn't meant as an insult or anything like it anyway. But I really think that buttons are sometimes better than screens. Other times not so much. I simply think Tesla went a little overboard on the 3 in terms of oversimplification, thus complicating some use cases more than would be necessary if some primary functions like the ones I mentioned above were implemented in the tradtional form of buttons.
I think with the whole smartphone movement we're kind of trained to get things done without buttons. I am really surprised at how easy it was for me to adapt to the Model 3's lack of buttons. But I can definitely see how some people would be annoyed not having buttons like they were used to their entire lives.

I think with the whole smartphone movement we're kind of trained to get things done without buttons. I am really surprised at how easy it was for me to adapt to the Model 3's lack of buttons. But I can definitely see how some people would be annoyed not having buttons like they were used to their entire lives.
It became the case long ago that when confronted with an LCD screen that isn't a touchscreen I invariably end up feeling like a doofus when it doesn't respond to my repeated touch attempts.

Then I realize the person that made the thing is the doofus because why isn't it a touch screen, damn it? :p

Last edited:
I think the model 3 touch screen setup is different enough that its necessary to live with it for a while before judging it.

I don't have any issues working with the screen when not driving. There are really at most only 3 levels to get to any of the settings. The more common ones are available from top level menus.

While driving I find I don't really touch the screen very often at all. I never adjust the mirrors or steering wheel while driving. I leave the lights, climate control and wipers on automatic and rarely mess with them. I'm not one to change HVAC settings very often. If you are that could be slightly annoying, although those settings are generally easy to get to and adjust.

The main thing I use the screen for while driving is changing audio sources, this involves choosing from the favorites or recent list, which is pretty easy. Finding new stations might not be a great idea while driving. Probably best do that when stationary. (or use voice commands)
I also occasionally mess with the NAV settings such as adjusting the zoom level or toggling on the satellite view. These are also easy to do, and probably similar (or easier) than any car with a NAV unit.

Pretty much all of the other controls can be done from the stalks or steering wheel controls. I'm not a big fan of voice commands, but you can do those as well if you want.
Overall I think the screen is fine to work with, and I'm big fan of the resulting clean aesthetic of the interior.
As a bonus, I really like not having anything in front of the steering wheel, especially when driving at night. I also like that the HVAC can blow through the steering wheel and hit you directly in the face if you want.

Last edited:
This is my exact dilemma. Currently driving a 2016 C300 with AMG Sports package. Love the car but have always wanted the instant torque of an electric and no more buying gas. 1st day reservation holder and just got invited to configure the M3 with everyone else but have not done it. Worried about 2 things:

Road noise - Took a drive in a friend's M3 and the tire noise on textured roads (we have lots of them in Texas) is definitely louder than the C300. Not sure I can live with this as I am used to quiet German luxury cars with lots of sound deadening.

Interior - I love the quality of the MB interiors. Both the Tesla S and M3 are in my opinion a step down with cheaper materials and not as nice of a feel.

Need to decide soon before the full tax credit is gone at the end of the year. First world problems for sure...

Reactions: AleP
This is my exact dilemma. Currently driving a 2016 C300 with AMG Sports package. ....

Road noise - Took a drive in a friend's M3 and the tire noise on textured roads (we have lots of them in Texas) is definitely louder than the C300. Not sure I can live with this as I am used to quiet German luxury cars with lots of sound deadening.

Interior - I love the quality of the MB interiors. Both the Tesla S and M3 are in my opinion a step down with cheaper materials and not as nice of a feel....

2 years ago i test drove a c43 amg, redesigned e-class, and audi s6. I was in a g37 and looking for a change.

c43 - fun, but too small, too loud, too rough. Interior was nice but not in a refined way.

e-class - super nice interior. awesome seats. tech was top notch at the time, but would date itself fast. the 4-banger was fine for what it was, but there was nothing fun about driving this car.

s6 - nice, but too pricey for the (lack of) styling.

I resigned myself to not getting a new car. My wife convinced me to test drive a tesla. I was blown away at the drive train, performance, screens, etc. Yes road/wind noise is worse. Yes the interior is not up to par for it's price class. But none of it mattered then and 2 years later the model S still makes those other cars look like a joke.

My lease is coming up on the Model S. Yes the Model3/S road/wind noise is still worse than competitors. Yes the interior is still not as nice as competitors in same price class (although the model 3 isnt that bad). And it still doesn't matter because the driving experience in competitor cars is still crap. IMO, they just aren't competitive until they electrify their drivetrains. I'm not into Tesla for the environment - that's good collateral damage I guess - they just drive better.

I can't imagine getting a C class over a model 3. They're so annoying to drive. It's intolerable. IMO, the only decision is what Tesla to get, not whether to get a Tesla vs something else. I wouldn't buy an ICE jag, I'm certainly not getting their first BEV. Mission E/Taycan and audi e-tron might be for real - but they are more unicorns than the model 3 at this point.

Reactions: Arpe and kbM3
The 3 wheel LOOKS bland and cheap, but I really love the way it feels in hand.

Agreed that you can't compare the CLA to the C-class. My only Benz experience was a rental cla200d in Germany and, yeah, it was definitely rental car spec.
One thing I can't get over with the new Mercs is the absolutely horrible displays. The fonts in the infotainment system look like utter trash. I just assumed it was my cheapo rental until I saw a screenshot from a $100k+ E class and my jaw dropped. So, so, so bad.

I'm happy with the interior of the 3 we just picked up. In a lot of ways it's a step up from the S; it's pretty nicely put together and has nice features and touches where the S didn't even have door pockets!

My other "nice" car is a new Golf R and that's a DAMN nice car inside; a good bit better than a base BMW 3 series or C class, IMO.

Reactions: AustinPowers
The 3 wheel LOOKS bland and cheap, but I really love the way it feels in hand.

Agreed that you can't compare the CLA to the C-class. My only Benz experience was a rental cla200d in Germany and, yeah, it was definitely rental car spec.
One thing I can't get over with the new Mercs is the absolutely horrible displays. The fonts in the infotainment system look like utter trash. I just assumed it was my cheapo rental until I saw a screenshot from a $100k+ E class and my jaw dropped. So, so, so bad.

I'm happy with the interior of the 3 we just picked up. In a lot of ways it's a step up from the S; it's pretty nicely put together and has nice features and touches where the S didn't even have door pockets!

My other "nice" car is a new Golf R and that's a DAMN nice car inside; a good bit better than a base BMW 3 series or C class, IMO.
I have to agree that the steering wheel is very plain. You can spruce things up with some vinyl wraps.

cd0434_131da248741e48cbb9db1b7d7fb59114~mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.jpeg

https://www.rpmtesla.com/product-page/model-3-steering-wheel-vinyl-accents

If we are into the subject of generalisations, I don't really understand why Americans don't like buttons. Some functions are much better executed with buttons.

Or do you really believe that for example opening the glove box by pressing one button is worse than navigating some screen menus to do so?
Or adjusting the side mirror? Button on the door next to the mirror itself versus navigating through menus on the screen?
Manually locking the car from the inside? Adjusting the electric seat position? Etc etc etc.

Honestly, I understand that "cluttered" interiors are not nice, and that the clean looking 3 interior looks great, at least at first glance until you notice the material quality like that hideous piano black for just one example.
But when it comes to comfortably and quickly executing basic functions, having to use a screen for everything slows down things quite a bit, depending on where in the menu the function you want to execute is buried - plus it is more dangerous because you have to take your eyes off the road for much longer.

And don't get me wrong, I don't see this solely as a problem in the 3, any modern car that relies ever more heavily on screens instead of buttons for the most basic functions is an unneccessary hazard imho.

I keep my 3 reservation of course, plus I have ordered an e-Golf recently, which also has a large center screen for many functions (mostly navigation, entertainment and phone), but it still has buttons for the basics. Imho this interior is a great example how the old and new can be combined into something stylish* and uncluttered, yet still highly functional:

View attachment 318337

*for an economy compact car that is. Of course a premium or luxury vehicle can look more stylish, but at what extra cost? When I compare the Golf interior to that of its competion like the Leaf or the Focus, or even the Ioniq, to my liking it blows all three of them away.

Your examples are all things one should not be doing while driving.

Your examples are all things one should not be doing while driving.

What?

You are not allowed to open the glove box while on the go, for example because you need something that is inside pronto?
How do you adjust the the side mirror while stationary? Honest question, because from my experience you usually only notice that subtle changes are necessary while driving, so that would be the best time to do it. No problem when going slowly. And anyway, it doesn't matter if you are driving or stationary. If it is the comfort of pressing one simple button versus navigating several menus to get to the same function that is just BS user interface!

I have a smartphone, a tablet, and several other devices with a touchscreen. I am used to using that stuff. I have even got a touchscreen in our VW Touran, but the important functions are still on buttons, and for good reason. And no, the interior doesn't have to be cluttered, just because there are a few essential buttons.

Quite right. That's what I like about the e-Golf (or any current high-end version of the Golf) as well, like in the picture I showed in my previous post (#40). The interior is very nice, high quality, and offers perfect usability, because it has just the right mix of buttons and screens. Pity Tesla can't match that.

Last edited:
I'm trading my 2008 fully-loaded C300 4matic for most likely a Model 3 AWD non-p.
I really love my C-class and special ordered it when the redesigned model first came out in 2007. It has been incredibly reliable and problem-free and drives like a dream, but the interior is showing its age and now lacking in the electronic toys and goodies that's common today.
I was considering either getting another Mercedes, like a 2018 C43 AMG, 2018 GLC43 AMG coupe, or a 2017 or 2018 E43 AMG. Mercedes interiors are so beautifully crafted, luxurious and well designed (probably the best in the industry), so I'm a bit hesitant in ordering a Model 3 as the interior is so stark and minimal.

However I think going electric as well as the highly technological features will more than make up for a very no-frills interior. I'm hoping there will be more tasteful aftermarket accessories coming out to customize and improve the stark interior.

You are not allowed to open the glove box while on the go, for example because you need something that is inside pronto?
How do you adjust the the side mirror while stationary? Honest question, because from my experience you usually only notice that subtle changes are necessary while driving, so that would be the best time to do it. No problem when going slowly. And anyway, it doesn't matter if you are driving or stationary. If it is the comfort of pressing one simple button versus navigating several menus to get to the same function that is just BS user interface
But you don’t have to navigate “several menus” to get to any of these particular controls.
A single tap on the car icon (controls) brings up the quick controls menu by default. From this screen you can open the glove box, adjust the mirrors or steering wheel, turn on the fog lights plus a few other common tasks. These controls are not burried in the menus by any means. I haven’t needed to navigate to any of the other settings pages while actually driving.

Last edited:
But you don’t have to navigate “several menus” to get to any of these particular controls.
A single tap on the car icon (controls) brings up the quick controls menu by default. From this screen you can open the glove box, adjust the mirrors or steering wheel, turn on the fog lights plus a few other common tasks. These controls are not burried in the menus by any means. I haven’t needed to navigate to any of the other settings pages while actually driving.

Thanks for the info. The 3 seems to be quite different than the S and X then. I have test-driven two different S's over time (P85 as well as P100DL), and also had time to sit in an X and play with the controls, and all of them were annoying in how difficult it was to access some of the most basic functions. Unfortunately I have not had a chance yet to sit in a 3, as there are none around over here yet. Hope they get one into our local Tesla store before I get the invite to configure next year.

Thanks for the info. The 3 seems to be quite different than the S and X then. I have test-driven two different S's over time (P85 as well as P100DL), and also had time to sit in an X and play with the controls, and all of them were annoying in how difficult it was to access some of the most basic functions.
What do you consider "some of the most basic"? Each of the mentioned functions are still physical buttons in S/X (except for fog lights). Ironically buttons and switches are taken from MB E class.

What Tesla's design is preparing us for, is that while your car takes care of the driving, you have all the time in the world to browse spotify playlists and other essentials.

What Tesla's design is preparing us for, is that while your car takes care of the driving, you have all the time in the world to browse spotify playlists and other essentials.
I think the Model 3 interior is how it is because they really want to get out of the reds by having the biggest profit margin possible on the Model 3 and they get away with that because the performance of the drivetrain makes any ICE look ancient.
The autonomy argument for the overboarding simplicity however is just nonsense considering the state of the tech. Most initial model 3 owners will probably be on their next car or the one after the next before lvl 5 actually becomes available...(which i doubt will ever happen with the current sensor setup)

Last edited:
I think the Model 3 interior is how it is because they really want to get out of the reds by having the biggest profit margin possible on the Model 3 and they get away with that because the performance of the drivetrain makes any ICE look ancient.

That's one way to look at, and describe one of the reasons to head in this direction. It is easy to assemble, thus cheaper. And less moving parts to break/fail, so cheaper to maintain [a similar, given number of features]. Also being easier to assemble means easier to automate assembly, which is a stated design goal. It also leverages something that's more native/required to EVs than ICE, the computer control system. It's also easier to make the overall design process (of the vehicle and manufacturing facility) much more parallel, even parallel with selling the product (design refinement post-sale). I can reasonably expect the car I'll have in 2 years is better than the car I'll pay for I a couple months.

Ultimately it also is going to allow more feature rich cars with more usable UI. The handwringing of "you can't adjust without looking" isn't living in the current reality of vehicles that have so many buttons that you're hard press to no-look much of it anyway.

The autonomy argument for the overboarding simplicity however is just nonsense considering the state of the tech. Most initial model 3 owners will probably be on their next car or the one after the next before lvl 5 actually becomes available...(which i doubt will ever happen with the current sensor setup)

So when do you entirely change the interior of the Model 3? Your reasoning here would create a catch-22. You can't really work on the problem without the hardware to support it but if you don't build the hardware to support you can't ship any software.

This argument works because it's the path forward.

So when do you entirely change the interior of the Model 3? Your reasoning here would create a catch-22. You can't really work on the problem without the hardware to support it but if you don't build the hardware to support you can't ship any software.

This argument works because it's the path forward.
As if normal interiors wouldn`t work just as well with lvl 5. Also most manufacturers can actually manage to adapt on the fly instead of nailing something down for "all eternity".

Reactions: AustinPowers