Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From a windshield wiper to SC backing up my new MX into a wall.... seriously.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I was counting my blessings: my MX arrived on time for the holidays. The doors and panels were aligned. On the whole the small issues encoutered were tiny cosmetic issues easily addressed. Mechanically, the only issue was that the driver's side windshield wiper was not squirting water. So I took it in for service and corrections. Turns out the hose was pinched by some poorly placed trim frunk trim. They fixed the windshield wiper and the cosmetic issues. I was satisfied except for the ICE loaner.

Next I go to Tahoe, and as I'm driving 70mph suddenly the driver's side windshield wiper flies off the windshield, and hangs over my sideview mirror, damaging the front pillar and hood in the process. It was loose, and I managed to get home by tightening it a little, but it's acting iffy. This was the one they worked on. So I take in to service... I must leave it there again, as some body shop work is no required.

Then I get a call from SC an hour later that they backed my car into a wall, and it's damaged.

Two SC visits and two ****ups. This is not confidence inspiring.
IMG_3451.JPG
IMG_4211.JPG

Wireless wiper was part of PUP. Allows wiping the snow off the FWD.

This happened at the San Rafael SC. While I'm not happy, human error is inevitable, and I'm sure this was a bummer for the technician. As @Ambidexter pointed out, I appreciate the honesty. The car was going to the body shop because of the windshield wiper damage anyway, so it would have been easy to hide this.

Hopefully Tesla will make it right quickly.

Oh no! You waited so long for that car, too!

Speaking as someone who worked in technical service for many years, I'm glad to hear they were forthright and upfront about what happened. Mistakes are human, and how folks deal with those mistakes tells you the most about the company.

Agree - a Toyota SC lifted my Landcruiser into the roof of the workshop a few months back, of course it is frustrating but it's how they handle it afterwards that makes the difference.

First, I was counting my blessings: my MX arrived on time for the holidays. The doors and panels were aligned. On the whole the small issues encoutered were tiny cosmetic issues easily addressed. Mechanically, the only issue was that the driver's side windshield wiper was not squirting water. So I took it in for service and corrections. Turns out the hose was pinched by some poorly placed trim frunk trim. They fixed the windshield wiper and the cosmetic issues. I was satisfied except for the ICE loaner.

Next I go to Tahoe, and as I'm driving 70mph suddenly the driver's side windshield wiper flies off the windshield, and hangs over my sideview mirror, damaging the front pillar and hood in the process. It was loose, and I managed to get home by tightening it a little, but it's acting iffy. This was the one they worked on. So I take in to service... I must leave it there again, as some body shop work is no required.

Then I get a call from SC an hour later that they backed my car into a wall, and it's damaged.

Two SC visits and two ****ups. This is not confidence inspiring.
View attachment 209604 View attachment 209605
Sounds like you suffer from bad karma. You probably deserve your misfortune:rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: RRM998
Sounds like you suffer from bad karma. You probably deserve your misfortune:rolleyes:

Thankfully, I have the intellect to know better than to believe in karma, and the decency not to tell you what your comment reveals about you.

Anyway, today I picked my MX up... the body shop is backlogged and it will be 10 days before they can get to my car. At least, all the parts are ready and there. Turns out it's a major job. They have to replace rear bumper, rear quarter panel, black trims, sensors, and they will need to disassemble the lift gate. In final flourish, as I stood there looking at the guy pulling my car out of a spot, I heard a scraping noise and he messed up and scraped my wheel on a wall. That's right, now I have a curb rash on one wheel, and they need to address this as well. I sure hope their abilities as mechanics are better than their driving skills. I'm really going to be afraid to take my car in for service. I'm rather demoralized. The people there are nice enough, but WTF???

IMG_2517.jpg

Wow, all the horror stories I have heard yours is really near the top especially with them curbing the wheel after all the other damage. Is there another SC near you that you can take it to? I'd be terrified to bring it back there. They really owe you something beyond just fixing the damage. I will say that Tesla service has treated me well in the 11 months I've had my X, and I wouldn't trade my X for anything at this point, but I could understand you being pissed about all this.

Each of the 9 times (177 total days) my car has been in for service they have provided a Model S. Most of the loaners have been in good shape. Two times I had cars with less than 3000 miles and twice I had older cars with more than 15k miles.

Now that it's finally resolved and I am sure it has been resolved, I thought I would share with the community the epic journey of getting my MX repaired after a technician backed it into a wall when it had less than 1200 miles.

The Bad: it took forever, two months. Not Tesla's fault entirely... it was the Tesla-certified bodyshop. They first had delays because a Tesla ahead of mine was waiting on parts. Then they took forever, had to redo the clear coat, and it went on and on. When the car was finally done, the paint and body work was fine, but they did an awful job on the interior trims, plastics, etc. The job was huge, involving total disassembly of the trunk and part of the FWD to replace the full quarter panel and rear bumper. They did an awful job putting all the interior back together. The car rattled. Clips were missing. Plastics were not clipped in place. Part of the interior trim was damaged. There were loose cables. You name it.... Thankfully, Tesla replaced a bunch of trims and fixed all of the issues at the service center and made it perfect. So two months later I had my MX back looking great.

The Good: I'm usually a complainer, and in normal circumstances I would have gone ballistic over this issue. But this time I was merely exasperated and just hoped for a favorable outcome, saving my energy for a big fight if the car did not come back perfect. So what follows is entirely Tesla's goodwill after their mistake, not a result of any demands I made. First, they gave me an amazing loaner: I brand new full option P100D+ Ludicrous Model S. I had a total blast with that car. What a cool way to experience a Model S. But three weeks in, I needed to take a road trip, and I also had biking trips planned, so I needed a hitch and more seating. Tesla found me a Model X P90D Ludicrous fully loaded with a hitch and only 1500 miles on it. I drove that car for the remaining five weeks. So while there were many delays, the entire time I was driving a nicer car than my MX 90D. I put a ton of miles on the loaner cars. It was really hard to be pissed when there was little inconvenience to my everyday life. In fact, it was kind of fun to try these different cars. By the time I got my car back, I'd driven these loaners twice as many miles as I had my own. When I did my final pickup, my MX was inside, detailed, and it was like taking delivery of a new car again.... So far, that was the service I thought I was entitled to, but then Tesla took things up a notch.

When the car was with in the bodyshop, I thought I should have a partial wrap done. Perhaps it would be cheaper, as it was disassembled and in the shop, and maybe I'd save a little $. I asked the shop how much extra that would run me. They said they'd get back to me... and when they did they said Tesla offered to pay for it. (Something like $1500 for the hood, door edges, bumpers, side mirrors, etc.) But the shop's bra job turned out to suck, so Tesla just sent the car to a local pro wrap place, and had it completely redone to higher specs. Sweet. Looked great. But then Tesla also said they wanted to do something more to make up for these long delays, perhaps provide me with a one time cash payment or something. I suggested instead the 4 year prepaid maintenance plan, a $2700 value. They happily agreed.

Conclusion: Patience is a virtue when you are a Tesla owner. In the end, my car is back and it is flawless. It has a nice 3M partial wrap protecting it. I also have the next four years of maintenance covered. I got to know the guys at the service center rather well, and feel that they have a lot of goodwill towards me (especially since I was not a jerk through all of this). And, honestly, I had fun and enjoyed driving the loaners. Of course, I would have preferred to just have my car all this time and not deal with any of this, but looking at the big picture this turned out fine, and I hope the tech who messed up has not lost his job. We all make mistakes.

My overall sense of Tesla service is that there is a lot of goodwill, but they haven't quite ironed out all the issues. It felt on the whole informal compared to what would happen at an Audi dealership. It's as if they are still learning, eager students starting with a B but working towards earning an A. I'm pretty fond of them. It's certainly a different company compared to other carmakers, but some of their foibles makes them more human.