Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing you guys didn't pay close attention to the X reveal? When I first saw it, I HATED the front, and I wasn't alone in that sentiment. Now, six months later, I LOVE it, and so I love the 3's front (very similar).

It's very different than the norm, so it takes some getting used to. I suggest giving it some time to sink in, and then coming back to this thread in 3-4 months and update whether you still don't like it.

Now, I look at the S and it feels dated. I can't wait until they update the front with a similar front.

I was thinking earlier when I said that I can't get past the nose that this might well be the only car that I think would look better with a license plate.

Oy!

I don't mind the lack of a grill at all. It's the shape of it that gets me. Though I must admit, I have no better suggestion. So that's the end of my whining about it.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and tga
Here's a challenge to some of our more talented photoshoppers out there: find the least flattering picture of the Model 3 (in your mind) and slap a license plate on there.

I'm garbage at photoshop but I'm going to give it my best shot over the next few days. I'd really like to see what it looks like with a plate from head on, considering this is what most people will see in their rearview.

I was thinking earlier when I said that I can't get past the nose that this might well be the only car that I think would look better with a license plate.

Oy!

I don't mind the lack of a grill at all. It's the shape of it that gets me. Though I must admit, I have no better suggestion. So that's the end of my whining about it.
What really irks me is that Tesla is fully capable of making a beautiful nose without a grill. Going grill-less doesn't have to look weird. Check out the Saleen:

2015-Tesla-Model-S-P85D-and-Saleen-GTX-Comparison-03.jpg

Saleen-4-16-0.jpg

saleen-model-s-2.jpg

Tesla-Model-S-Fully-Tuned-Saleen-FourSixteen-XCAR.png

This would even provide a better Cd and CdA. I remember Elon saying something about the Model 3 looking different, "but in a useful way". I just don't see how a flat, blunt nose that jacks up the CdA is "useful"...

Reactions: SCW-Greg
I started this thread because I'm seeing some posts and tweets that aren't raving. I can't say I hate it, but when I first saw it I didn't know what to think. I still don't know. It's not a deal breaker for me, I still want one when they are CPO's in 5-6 years. But, I'm a little, just a little, disappointed.
front.jpg
Uhm... Yeah. Looks like a Porsche. I hate Porsches. Oh, well.

The good news? It will almost certainly be changed during the next 18 months. If not, I'm sure that someone like Unplugged Performance will offer a body kit that modifies it somewhat.

okay... I know this is hard... REALLY HARD... but. Just for a moment, think about what the Chevy bo---wait for it... Bolt. That compared to the model 3 is like comparing a golf cart to a Ferrari. just sayin'

That's a pretty silly comparison...just sayin'. You're comparing a sedan to what is a pretty practical cross-over. The Bolt could have been far more attractive as well as I feel Chevy really was ultra conservative in its approach. But so is the Model 3. There isn't a single exterior design feature on this car where I can say it's truly extraordinary or striking. It's a plain Jane looking car.

Look at the Nissan Sway....that's how a new design should look like...and if the next gen Leaf looks anything of the part (i.e if Nissan really knows what to do with the Sway), it'll be the first EV that actually looks good and doesn't look like a frumpy middle aged man's car.

I'm guessing you guys didn't pay close attention to the X reveal? When I first saw it, I HATED the front, and I wasn't alone in that sentiment. Now, six months later, I LOVE it, and so I love the 3's front (very similar).

It's very different than the norm, so it takes some getting used to. I suggest giving it some time to sink in, and then coming back to this thread in 3-4 months and update whether you still don't like it.

Now, I look at the S and it feels dated. I can't wait until they update the front with a similar front.

I agree with you on waiting to see if the front design starts to appeal after a while. I think the rest of the design is nice looking. But, it's worth noting that the Model X final design I have alwasy liked and I also like the nosecone on my Model S.

That's a pretty silly comparison...just sayin'. You're comparing a sedan to what is a pretty practical cross-over. The Bolt could have been far more attractive as well as I feel Chevy really was ultra conservative in its approach. But so is the Model 3. There isn't a single exterior design feature on this car where I can say it's truly extraordinary or striking. It's a plain Jane looking car.

Look at the Nissan Sway....that's how a new design should look like...and if the next gen Leaf looks anything of the part (i.e if Nissan really knows what to do with the Sway), it'll be the first EV that actually looks good and doesn't look like a frumpy middle aged man's car.
(Funky posts aside) The nissan sway looks like a futuristic compressed (and then widened) gerbil with stretched out eyeballs. The model 3 in comparison is just simpler to look at and doesn't really look like a stretched smart car like all these other car manufacturers are doing.
The model 3 literally looks like a sedan.

No, there was something off on the MX front and time hasn't altered my opinion. Still a great vehicle and with most cars there's always something that one doesn't care for. It's just odd that everything else styling-wise is so spot on except for this one design aspect.

And no. It has absolutely nothing to do with the lack of grille opening.

(Funky posts aside) The nissan sway looks like a futuristic compressed (and then widened) gerbil with stretched out eyeballs. The model 3 in comparison is just simpler to look at and doesn't really look like a stretched smart car like all these other car manufacturers are doing.
The model 3 literally looks like a sedan.

The model 3 looks just like the model s...which is already outdated and old. The Sway is a very atraction hatchback fit to wear a GTI style badge. It's unique and looks sharp. The 3 just looks like a bland sedan reminiscent to what would typically come out of Detroit.

Agree