Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And here's what a Model 3 would look like if it had the new MS style front end. It doesn't look half bad, and if people had not seen the one without the nose I don't think we would know what to complain.

I'm beginning to think that something like this might be an option on the M3, and it might even be standard to keep the style similar to other models. There might be a "sport" option with large wheels, without the front grille and instead having the T logo on the front hood like the cars at the reveal (like that matte black version which looked awesome on the street).

6GVaLFY.jpg

Reactions: Red Sage
Question is.............Did Tesla not want to blow the MS cover by showing that nose at the M3 reveal?

Or is the MS nose a step in that direction and to align with the MX for now before the plain look kicks in with the M3?

Perhaps the Part 2 M3 reveal will indeed have that nose for production. Much as I like the Porsche interpretations, it is a bit bland and safe and same-ish and, well, Porsche-ish, so why?

Tesla needs a special and unique identity - not an ambiguous safe style.

I am perfectly fine with the grill-less design but I do agree the current blunt nose needs some tweaking/refinement. Aesthetically, it's currently the only aspect of the 3 that I'm not quite crazy about. I do think the current design looks better with the Model X's (and now Model S's) mustache but I personally prefer Mihai75's rendering over anything I've seen so far.

I'm personally suspecting the 3 will wind up with the mustache since it's looking like that's emerging as the "corporate grill" of Tesla. While an improvement, that still wouldn't quite be a homerun in my view.

Reactions: linkster
The new Model S nose treatment applied to the Model 3 nose would be a big improvement, and I think that's what we'll see.
The reason the new Model S mustache looks ok is that the hood extends all the way to the grill. The Model 3 has a "Porsche" style hood that doesn't extend all the way to where the "mustache grill" would be. This would make the fake mustache grill look out of place and more or less like a "decal sticker" on the front of the car. I prefer the current look to any kind of fake grill, but James Ander's design is BY FAR the most beautiful.

Personally, I love the front end of the M3. I love the Tesla logo being located on the hood and I think it evokes a long history of finely crafted luxury sedans. And to be blunt, I love the complete absence of the Tesla 'stache. In my view, the 'stache is a design embellishment designed to make people more comfortable, but one that otherwise serves little or no useful purposs. And frankly, I think at this point in the design iteration of the design language, and certainly given the technologies involved... that it is an anachronism and ultimately makes the car look a bit stodgy. The M3 is edgy and forward-looking, and I think the design makes a bold statement. I'll be very disappointed if the move the 'stache from the S and X to the M3.

Hate the mustache. Hated it on the X, now hate it on the S, and I'll hate it on the 3.
The X looked so much better with the old S grill. Please don't stick that pointless mustache on the 3.

Grill is obsolete. Grill belongs to ICE cars for its functional use. Grill on a BEV is cosmetic. Time to streamline the front end to represent Tesla's brand recognition.

Grill is obsolete. Grill belongs to ICE cars for its functional use. Grill on a BEV is cosmetic. Time to streamline the front end to represent Tesla's brand recognition.
Well it wasn't really a grill, just a black round bumper thing. It seemed to be the most memorable part of the car's design though. I'm find if the M3 doesn't have that, just don't give it that ugly mustache.