Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Our state doesn't require a front plate, but these solutions are so good that I want one and then need to find some kind of plate to put on the Model S . . . maybe advertising!

Available at Amazon:
Amazon.com: Show N Go License Plate Holder - Fully Powered w/Remote: Automotive

$130. I guess the idea is if you see a cop you "whip it out". I guess that's fine unless you don't "pull out in time". (So to speak).

These are perfect as it would keep the car aerodynamic and if you get pulled over you can flip a switch or select it to open from the infotainment screen and say, "what do you mean I have no front license plate?"

I would also want it to pull out on parking and back in on takeoff!

I just want a bracket that doesn't drill holes into the front bumper somehow. Want to be able to take it off easily without damage to the car.

I am in total agreement here, if I could take it off whenever I want to or just drive until I get a ticket and the decide to (permanently) put it on without damage to the car I would be okay with that. Lots of interesting solutions posted here though!

From Tesla when I specified my options:

"When it comes to the front license plate. *When we get close to delivering your car Tesla Motors will contact you and ask you if you would like a front license plate holder installed. *If you need a front license plate installed, Tesla Motors will install the front license plate holder. *The installation process will involve drilling into the front bumper. "

"When it comes to the front license plate. *When we get close to delivering your car Tesla Motors will contact you and ask you if you would like a front license plate holder installed. *If you need a front license plate installed, Tesla Motors will install the front license plate holder. *The installation process will involve drilling into the front bumper. "

Darn. That's not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping they'd find some solution such as a tow-hook mounted bracket or something.

Nice that they provide the option. Most manufacturers drill the holes as a default. The thought of drilling holes into that lovely S front profile is painful.

Dave, assuming that the Model S does indeed have a front tow-hook, you can ask Tesla not to have the front plate holder installed and buy something like this yourself, no?!

Yeah, that's my plan. I finally have the 'Foundry bracket' for the Roadster but that was a pain with months and months of e-mails asking where that part was, then for a refund. He finally sent it to me even after he refunded the money which I thought was a nice touch. I'd rather order it from someone on TMC who has the machine shop skills to make something like that. I don't know if the Model S has a tow hook but e-mailed Tesla asking them to produce something that wasn't permanent and they could sell it as an accessory on their online store.

For states that require a license plate and for people, like me, who remove them for looks or technical reasons.... be aware that this is a VALID reason for police to pull you over. If you have nothing to hide then there won't be any issue except being late to where you're going if they pull you over. However I'd be a little cautious if you had a couple of drinks with your friends and were driving home. They can pull you over legally if you were obeying all traffic conditions and if they smell any type of alcohol issue you a DUI test.

Just be aware :)

Just curious, what state do you live in?

I've lived in New York, New Jersey, and Maryland. I keep the spare plate in a handy place in the car.

The two times I have been pulled over in 40 years, the police were very nice as they issued the warning. Next time, they say, "I'll give you a ticket". Frankly, they have a lot more to do on the road than look for cars without front plates. And I've been stopped for speeding a few times. In every instance the police did not check for a front plate as they wrote the speeding citation.

In Texas, it's not actually written anywhere I can find (publicly at least. It might be in a locked cabinet somewhere) that the plate has to be on the front bumper but they do use it as an excuse to pull you over and look for other things.

I just hope Telsa has thought of some removable solution to the front plate. I don't mind putting it on there would just rather not drill holes into the bumper.

I think if you search these forums - and certainly those of other cars where owners like to 'go without' (Vipers and Vettes), you'll find that there are certain places / situations where you are much more likely to get tickets - like long term airport parking lots in LA and SF, or SF parking in general - any place where parking violations have become enough of a revenue generator that they have roving parking enforcement.

I wouldn't get the holes drilled, but then, if Steve hadn't made the early brackets, I could have fashioned something myself (but it wouldn't have been as nice).

Is there anyone here willing and able to produce something for the Model S similar to the Foundry bracket? Of course it will have to wait until people start getting the Model S in their hands to see what's possible but if Tesla doesn't offer a solution, I would certainly like to get something like that.

Maybe this is one advantage to not living in California:) I'm in and out of the Baltimore airport all the time, and the police often are posted near the entrance watching for speeders and the like. Never a problem with no front plate.

I think if you search these forums - and certainly those of other cars where owners like to 'go without' (Vipers and Vettes), you'll find that there are certain places / situations where you are much more likely to get tickets - like long term airport parking lots in LA and SF, or SF parking in general - any place where parking violations have become enough of a revenue generator that they have roving parking enforcement.

I wouldn't get the holes drilled, but then, if Steve hadn't made the early brackets, I could have fashioned something myself (but it wouldn't have been as nice).