Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Front License Plate news?

So, the greatest remaining mystery of the Model S... how to mount the front license plate!

After all this time, we still have NO information on where the front license plate will go.

I don't want to be drilling holes in my Model S like the Roadster owners did (before coming up with their own aftermarket license plate brackets). I don't particularly want to have to design my own bracket (though I bet someone in the forum will do so if we absolutely have to).

Come on, Tesla, give us a picture of a car with a proper front license plate installed in an elegant and suitable location. It can't be THAT hard....

They might end up having some nose ones that have front plate holders. Audi does that as well. By default, no front plate, but if a dealer in a front plate state orders a car, it will come with the mounting bracket. Thankfully PA is a no front plate state. Too many good looking cars have been ruined by plates hanging off their noses.

In my experience, dumb laws stay on the books forever, and no one seems able to rescind them. My question is, how in the world could one get the dumb front license plate law removed from the California laws!!?? I would vote for that. As it is, roughly 10% of all cars in CA do not wear a front license plate, and the officers only cite you if they need something to write, or for simple harassment, easily solved by some velcro. It would seem that there might be "law" makers buying a Tesla that would figure out a way. Kudos to PA for having some sense!

I remember asking a NY cop once how many times he'd used the front plate on a vehicle for identification. He said never.if they pull someone over, they use the back plate as they're just about always behind the car. He said the only times he can think of is if a car is approaching a parked cruiser or if a meter maid approaches the car from the front. .,.Yeah, totally worth the waste.

In my experience, dumb laws stay on the books forever, and no one seems able to rescind them. My question is, how in the world could one get the dumb front license plate law removed from the California laws!!?? I would vote for that. As it is, roughly 10% of all cars in CA do not wear a front license plate, and the officers only cite you if they need something to write, or for simple harassment, easily solved by some velcro. It would seem that there might be "law" makers buying a Tesla that would figure out a way. Kudos to PA for having some sense!

Doesn't California have some kind of direct democracy thing? Proposition X? Start a petition, get it on the ballot, gone!

You've got me thinking, Doug! Washington State has initiatives. There's been a lot of ones in past years that were silly/stupid, but one to get rid of front license plates is one that I could really get behind, pun intended!

I'm pretty sure all of Europe is a front license plate state, so it's not like they can ignore the problem. And as I've told before the lovely Alfa Romeo designs look horrible with the tacked on front license plates...

Cobos

I'm pretty sure all of Europe is a front license plate state, so it's not like they can ignore the problem.
Indeed, all Europe cars have front license plates, but we use long plates, which are thin. I think it won't look bad on the nose.
Example:
$(KGrHqRHJ!8E63SLhcrvBO4kUhl-gw~~_19.JPG

I have seen cars with front-licenceplates in vinyl-decals on rallycars, and think I saw once also on a "normal" car! This is a possibility to get aerodinamic licenceplates

The tail-end licence-plate must be the official plate, the frontplate is made by your garage, (so ready for interpretation I think)!

I have seen cars with front-licenceplates in vinyl-decals on rallycars, and think I saw once also on a "normal" car! This is a possibility to get aerodinamic licenceplates

The tail-end licence-plate must be the official plate, the frontplate is made by your garage, (so ready for interpretation I think)!

Just found in Federale Overheidsdienst Mobiliteit en Vervoer

Frontplates must be in alluminium or acrylic!
Hights width and color are specified!
But nowhere i see specified they may not follow the curbs of the car!

For those that have to adhere to front license plate laws, I think that the vinyl reqroduction idea is a good one. This will allow you to enlarge or shrink it slightly to best be applied to the front, and will not interfere with airflow. If stopped, I would use the argument that the car needs the proper airflow through the front to operate properly. With Vinyl if you have not adhered with the letter of the law at least you have with the spirit and attempted to comply.

If stopped, I would use the argument that the car needs the proper airflow through the front to operate properly.
Any officer that pulls you over for a front plate violation isn't going to care in the slightest about that argument. They'll probably fine you twice, once for an invalid front plate and again for forgery.