Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FRONT TRUNK SENSOR ISSUE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have exact same issue. Seems worse in narrow construction zones. Do the cameras influence this at all? I can repeat problem at same location thats really narrow due to construction cones.
Well, I've since received 2020.28.5 on my MY and still have the "Front Trunk Open" issue - obviously the new update didn't resolve anything and I haven't had the chance to request another mobile service and request the parts mentioned in a previous post.... What I have notice is though it seems it happens or is more prevalent on warmer days than cooler. In the mornings around the Bay Area, the marine layer is in causing an overcast effect, which I don't have any issues with the hood at that time. But as the sun comes out later in the day/afternoon, I continue to get the incessant notification.... Not much else to hope for except to bring it in to my local SC or hope that mobile service will quit denying it's SW and fix it.

I submitted a service request with only a comment of "a few intermittent notices of frunk open" and the service center has ordered latch parts to fix. So, it seems like there is some knowledge of an issue, but could depend on if the SC has seen the issue and fixed it in other cars.

I just picked up my car today and once I got it home, I opened the frunk to put in a mat. When I closed it, the passenger side didn't quite close. Off just a little. I tried it various times, same result. Since it was latched, I tried to take my new MY for a spin. I got a warning that the frunk was unlatched but I overrode this message; that's when I put it in Drive and got a message that the car won't go over 15 mph.

I just had Mobile Service at my house a few hours ago. They only replaced the latch, saying that there was definitely a problem with it. They had also ordered the Body Control Module, but did not replace it because it was "obvious" that the latch was at fault. I took the car for some errands and immediately when leaving my driveway the Trunk Open message appeared - once. Unfortunately, the rest of the trip was hit or miss but there were long stretches of no errors and then continuous Trunk Open messages. I contacted the Mobile Service tech via text messaging and mentioned the problem. They rescheduled another mobile visit for 2 week out to replace the body control module, but mentioned they would work on moving the appointment closer.

When your frunk warning comes on, does it let you override it, and when you do it limits you to 15 mph?
It’s just a warning, which usually goes away on its own. It then cancels cruise control or autopilot and warns you to take over. It shows an open frunk. Many times it will show the frunk opening and closing. In all these cases it does not limit the speed and does not present an override.

I have had this issue with my Model Y for about 2 weeks. I have made a mobile service appointment and they are coming out in about a week to "fix" this. In the mean time they sent me a list of parts they ordered to resolve this issue:

Parts Ordered

ASY. VC FRONT, GEN3
Part #: 1497317-00-F
Order Date: July 15, 2020

HOOD LATCH ASSY, M3Y
Part #: 1500397-00-D
Order Date: July 15, 2020​
Thanks for posting this - have been having same issue - on third appointment and, after having the car for a week, I just got notice that they ordered the latch assembly but nothing about the other part. Just left a message (you rarely get a human at Devon, PA) and asked when the car will be done and why didn't they order BOTH parts as it is a known issue.

AAuugghh! My son came over and opened the frunk and then pushed it down somewhat firmly and the message went away and the car can be driven now. Surprisingly, I wasn't upset with this issue. Reading the Forum, I expected some stuff to occur with the MY, so I'm just happy it's fixed (at least for now)

Mine did it too they replaced the Front Controller Gen 3 1497317-00-F. It says on my invoice Body Controller Front (Dual Motor) Remove and Replace. They said they saw it before and knew the latch wasn't the issue. Hasn't happened since.

Speaking of this topic has anyone else popped off the emergency frunk button cover and look inside to see lots of water building up?

Attachments

• E6A97F16-F60F-4652-83FE-F9FE5EEF37C6.jpeg
    E6A97F16-F60F-4652-83FE-F9FE5EEF37C6.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 295
Had the same intermittent frunk open problem since two updates ago. Mobile service center adjusted the misalignment with the frunk. Then because of the frunk open problem ordered the switch assembly because of a common problem with the switches and heat effecting them. After he left now the problem is constant. 13 days til they maybe come out because the demand for the assembly. Ugh I am not happy at all

• Informative
Reactions: CO_MY
Mobile service cam and changed the latch. Problem still reappearing. Guess it's the controller as per other replies. Just got a new firmware update minutes ago, maybe Tesla found a way to reprogram the controller and fix the problem as mentionned at the top of this thread...

Folks, this is NOT a firmware issue, it is a HARDWARE issue. Ask the Service center to swap out the front computer assembly module, that is what fixed it for me.

Had the same issues, swapped out the latch for the frunk, didn't resolve the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Y_tho
Confirming the same issue. Tech said it’s a known defect now from the factory. Was diagnosed via mobile visit and then scheduled for repair to replace ASY. VC FRONT, GEN3 at the service centre.

Wonder what other little gremlins they shipped with the early Ys...

Mine is also acting up. Especially after a SC visit where I asked about occasional Fronk Open warnings but the visit was mainly for some rear hatch alignment and touch up work. I do not know if it was the SC visit or the latest SW updates but it is much worse now with clusters of warnings every few days.

I also had this issue. The mobile tech tried to make adjustments but the issue came back. On his next visit he checked a few more items and said he thinks he needs to replace (something) but the part is really expensive and he needed to get approval first. I since had an appointment to have my hitch installed and noticed "the part" was replaced and the problem hasn't returned.

From the service record:
Verified customer concern. Replaced Front (Dual Motor) Body Controller Module. Verified Proper Operation.Correction: Module - Body Controller - Front (Dual Motor) (Remove & Replace)Parts Replaced or AddedPartQuantityASY. FRONT CONTROLLER GEN 3(1497317-00-F)

Seeing that this is a "Gen 3" part on such a new car tells me there have been some needed upgrades.

I'm certainly not complaining ... all involved were great and this is a new model car so I kinda expected be be part of the beta group. You know, helping to identify problems for those of you about to get your cars ;).