Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FRONT TRUNK SENSOR ISSUE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue. Just had my first mobile service this morning. Replaced the latch. When I drove a few hours later, the problem reappeared.There's no rhyme or reason to when the warning illuminates and it's very unnerving when you're at highway speeds. I have now scheduled a service center visit for next week. Very irritated at this point and it's substantially affecting the ownership experience.....
IMG_1241.jpeg

Same issue. Took delivery three months ago and had it first day after delivery repairs for a bunch of other stuffs. First Tesla completely ignore issue saying they can’t recreate error so no repair. Second time, they replace the latch. Now I a waiting a part to arrive before they will take my car for repair. It’s been two weeks. Crazy that a company can figure out autopilot but can’t fix a simple warning error!

Scratched my own itch and found a teardown video but from the Model 3:

According to this, it handles 12v power distribution and eliminates the need for a fusebox as well. Pretty cool design and definitely looks like a very expensive part.

They didn't come out to identify the repair. They ordered the parts after I made the appointment on the mobile app. Maybe this is now a well know issue and they don't need to come and identify the problem first? In any case, all the parts have not arrived yet. I get emails whenever a part arrives:

Parts Outstanding
  1. ASY. VC FRONT, GEN3
    Part #: 1497317-00-F
    Ship Date: July 18, 2020
    Scheduled Delivery: July 20, 2020
  2. HOOD LATCH ASSY, M3Y
    Part #: 1500397-00-D
    Order Date: July 15, 2020
    Ship Date: Pending

Thank you, Araxara. Sadly, this happened not more than a week after picking our Model Y AWD, white, black, 19" order + FSD upgrade + TOW hitch, VIN: 307xx. We've made an appointment, but they won't be out for another two weeks. We'll call and make sure to request they order these parts. Thanks!

Question to all, did you drive your Y even though this sensor kept coming on? We are hoping it's better on the highway as it seems to occur most often in town at traffic lights and in more congested in town areas.

Also, did you notice if the right front blue line outlining the vehicle on the touchscreen was very wavy and shaking (Autosteer/Autopilot). We noticed this on ours. All other blue lines front left and the back ones where fine. Any connection to the ASY issue?

Same issue, not remedied by latch replacement. Now awaiting replacement of VC Front Gen 3, Part #1497317-00F.
The possible correlation I have found is with outside temperature...seems a lot more Front Trunk Warnings when its very hot outside, but who knows?

Thank you, Araxara. Sadly, this happened not more than a week after picking our Model Y AWD, white, black, 19" order + FSD upgrade + TOW hitch, VIN: 307xx. We've made an appointment, but they won't be out for another two weeks. We'll call and make sure to request they order these parts. Thanks!

Question to all, did you drive your Y even though this sensor kept coming on? We are hoping it's better on the highway as it seems to occur most often in town at traffic lights and in more congested in town areas.

Also, did you notice if the right front blue line outlining the vehicle on the touchscreen was very wavy and shaking (Autosteer/Autopilot). We noticed this on ours. All other blue lines front left and the back ones where fine. Any connection to the ASY issue?

Just had the latch replaced. Error returned about 20 minutes into drive after repair. I have noticed it happening less on the highway, but what's bad is when it happens, it cancels the autopilot or prohibits autopilot from even activating, so thats becoming really annoying. The repair was done by mobile repair, now they want it in the shop.

I just took a road trip to Yellowstone. At Yellowstone the sensor was going off like crazy, and on some days I could not use autopilot over 50% of the time. After leaving Yellowstone, the warnings became much less frequent. Two things were different at Yellowstone:

1. I was storing wet hiking boots in the frunk.
2. Yellowstone is at high elevation.

I wonder if humidity or altitude affect the sensor?

I just took a road trip to Yellowstone. At Yellowstone the sensor was going off like crazy, and on some days I could not use autopilot over 50% of the time. After leaving Yellowstone, the warnings became much less frequent. Two things were different at Yellowstone:

1. I was storing wet hiking boots in the frunk.
2. Yellowstone is at high elevation.

I wonder if humidity or altitude affect the sensor?

It doesn't seem to be in my case. Im at 250 ft elevation and low RH. Still have the sensor activate.

Thanks for the update. Did you have to request the replacement? Or did they determine it on their own? How long has it been since the service?

I requested another mobile service saying the previous latch replacement did not work. When they came about two weeks later, they changed the "front computer" - and I did had to mention it. They probably know how to fix this issue now.

NorCal1: is has a release but you need a 12v battery to use it. Behind the front bumper are two wires you connect to a 12v source and it will open.

Thank you, but let me clarify. When I open the front trunk from the interior screen, I simply go out and lift the lid with no other secondary latch to releases. It seems that their should be a secondary safety latch to disengage before lifting the hood.

Interesting that in the M3, there indeed is a primary and secondary frunk latch. There is no equivalent redundancy in the MY.
https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/81831?partNumber=1500398-00-D&partId=13219965
https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/47299?partNumber=1033011-00-G&partId=14168748

A couple of other observations:
1. MY trunk's illumination is actually a button to allow anyone inside the frunk to release the hood.
2. When closing the frunk, at least on our MY, there are definitely two separate clicks to fully close it. It's subtle, but you can hear them clearly.

I wonder if those having problems can try pressing down to close the frunk and observe whether you hear one or two clicks.

Last edited: