TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Front window creak over bumps

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by blake6551, Jul 4, 2017.

1. blake6551

blake6551 Member

So I'm noticing on my few day old Model X that when I go over uneven bumps/pavement at lower speeds, the driver's side window will creak. It sounds like the torque on the body from an off center bump is pulling the window away just enough from the rubber seal to make a noise.

Is this normal for frameless windows?

2. shayster

shayster Member

I mentioned what I thought was a rattle on my driver's side door for my last SC visit and was told that it was normal and because of the frameless windows. The Model X 90D service loaner we had made the same noise. I've had frameless windows on a few BMWs and do not remember this ever being the case.

How did you determine that it was the window creaking? The noise is getting to me. I'm thinking of applying dielectric silicone grease to all the door seals to determine if it's really from the frameless windows or something else like the door latch or components interior to the door.

3. blake6551

blake6551 Member

It sounds just like the beginning of rolling the window down. I don't know if I'd call it a squeak, rattle...maybe a popping sound! Hard to say, but definitely odd and not something I remember on my older car with frameless windows.

4. OzSimon

OzSimon Member

Mine did it from day one until I lubricted all the rubber seals. I tried silicone first, which only lasted a day or two and was messy, then I got a German product that conditions rubber seals. No more noise in 3000k.

5. shayster

shayster Member

Do you remember the name of the product that you used?

6. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Sounds like @OzSimon may have been referring to Gummi Pflege.

• Informative x 1
  7. OzSimon

OzSimon Member

Yep that is the product, bought on line for about $10.

8. blake6551

blake6551 Member

Ordered, going to try it!

9. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

I too have an intermittent driver door rattle over uneven pavement. Doesn’t happen when the window is down. And I don’t think it happens if it’s wet outside so maybe it’s the same issue as above instead here the water lubricates the seal, albeit temporarily. I’ll test it again under rainy conditions. That being said, mine is clearly a rattle, not a squeak.

My initial guess like shayster was something inside the door but at an SC visit where the noise couldn’t be reproduced, they took it apart and found nothing loose.

10. shayster

shayster Member

I had the X in for service and asked them to look at the door rattle again. They got it fixed! The writeup was:

Tech verified concern. Heard rattle on... Request further diagnostics. Installed new door clips on door panel and proactively applied noise cancelling material to the window regulator. Performed final road test and confirmed the noise concern is no longer present.​

11. blake6551

blake6551 Member

Just to follow up, Gummi Pfledge is MAGIC. No more creak/pop/whatever noise from my windows and the squeal upon closing is gone.

12. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Thanks for the post. I’ll mention the fix next time I visit the SC.