Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front window creak over bumps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm noticing on my few day old Model X that when I go over uneven bumps/pavement at lower speeds, the driver's side window will creak. It sounds like the torque on the body from an off center bump is pulling the window away just enough from the rubber seal to make a noise.

Is this normal for frameless windows?

I mentioned what I thought was a rattle on my driver's side door for my last SC visit and was told that it was normal and because of the frameless windows. The Model X 90D service loaner we had made the same noise. I've had frameless windows on a few BMWs and do not remember this ever being the case.

How did you determine that it was the window creaking? The noise is getting to me. I'm thinking of applying dielectric silicone grease to all the door seals to determine if it's really from the frameless windows or something else like the door latch or components interior to the door.

It sounds just like the beginning of rolling the window down. I don't know if I'd call it a squeak, rattle...maybe a popping sound! Hard to say, but definitely odd and not something I remember on my older car with frameless windows.

I too have an intermittent driver door rattle over uneven pavement. Doesn’t happen when the window is down. And I don’t think it happens if it’s wet outside so maybe it’s the same issue as above instead here the water lubricates the seal, albeit temporarily. I’ll test it again under rainy conditions. That being said, mine is clearly a rattle, not a squeak.

My initial guess like shayster was something inside the door but at an SC visit where the noise couldn’t be reproduced, they took it apart and found nothing loose.

I too have an intermittent driver door rattle over uneven pavement. Doesn’t happen when the window is down. And I don’t think it happens if it’s wet outside so maybe it’s the same issue as above instead here the water lubricates the seal, albeit temporarily. I’ll test it again under rainy conditions. That being said, mine is clearly a rattle, not a squeak.

My initial guess like shayster was something inside the door but at an SC visit where the noise couldn’t be reproduced, they took it apart and found nothing loose.
I had the X in for service and asked them to look at the door rattle again. They got it fixed! The writeup was:

Tech verified concern. Heard rattle on... Request further diagnostics. Installed new door clips on door panel and proactively applied noise cancelling material to the window regulator. Performed final road test and confirmed the noise concern is no longer present.​

I had the X in for service and asked them to look at the door rattle again. They got it fixed! The writeup was:

Tech verified concern. Heard rattle on... Request further diagnostics. Installed new door clips on door panel and proactively applied noise cancelling material to the window regulator. Performed final road test and confirmed the noise concern is no longer present.​

Thanks for the post. I’ll mention the fix next time I visit the SC.

@blake6551 Where did you apply the Gummi Pflege Stift? I'm hearing a rattle over uneven roads and bumps. Sounds more like a clicking, tapping sounds as if there's >1mm of space between the frameless window and the body. Did the Gummi Pflege Stift help, and if so, where was it applied to stop the rattle? Can't seem to wrap my head around how applying Gummi Pflege Stift would stop a rattle.

@blake6551 Where did you apply the Gummi Pflege Stift? I'm hearing a rattle over uneven roads and bumps. Sounds more like a clicking, tapping sounds as if there's >1mm of space between the frameless window and the body. Did the Gummi Pflege Stift help, and if so, where was it applied to stop the rattle? Can't seem to wrap my head around how applying Gummi Pflege Stift would stop a rattle.
Not the guy who applied it but I guess the sound may come from friction between the glass and the rubbers of the frame. The product may lubricate it enough so that that friction becomes lower or non-existent.