Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen window remedies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven’t had it happen to me but want to be proactive as it is getting cold now in the north east. What are the solutions everyone has been attempting for this potential issue?
It happened to me today... I used a product that helps preserve the rubber seals and reduce the chance of it stocking during the winter months, any silicone based product will do.

My door didn't get stuck but my windows did. Unfortunately they won't go down. I'm wondering if a spray a silicone based product or deicer into the plastic chrome trim at the bottom of the window to unfreeze it. My door handles also froze shut.

In Alaska can’t have enough de-icer. Prestone is the best. I’ve been worried about the door handles and a al Porsche windows. It was a PITA when The windows on my 911 would get frozen. We did the entire model 3 in ceramic pro, I hope that helps.

Fred wrote about the door handles and windows freezing and getting locked in Quebec.
Many of his readers are mentioning after being able to pry open the window glass, the glass would not come back to the full up position.

I used to have a Jag XK8 and you could reset the window height up motion by pressing on the window down button for 10 seconds and then moving to back up.

Is there a similar system to reset the windows in the Tesla 3?
Thx

I used "Super Lube" silicone spray from home depot. spray on a rag and then apply light coat. Helps keep glass from sticking to seals.
It happened to me today... I used a product that helps preserve the rubber seals and reduce the chance of it stocking during the winter months, any silicone based product will do.

My door didn't get stuck but my windows did. Unfortunately they won't go down. I'm wondering if a spray a silicone based product or deicer into the plastic chrome trim at the bottom of the window to unfreeze it. My door handles also froze shut.

I'm perplexed why people are having this problem(tho it hasn't been cold enough down here to experiment) but off the top of my head in the winter I would probably:

1. Leave the car plugged in overnight(this is generally a good idea in the winter anyhow)
2. Preheat the crap out your car via the app(wake up...preheat car...take shower...go to work)

Regarding the door handles, the same way we hit our car door locks with WD40 to prevent freezing couldn't you just do the same thing on the M3 door handles?

Then I'm sure there is some spray lube out there to prevent the gaskets from freezing/sticking. Just doesn't seem like this needs to be so complicated.

I believe folks are way over thinking this(could be due to the abundance of engineers who own Teslas lol).

Reactions: Unique
This has happened every morning for the past 5 days. Door handles need to be hit with a hand to open and then they stay open until you push them back in. 3 of the windows were frozen this morning, making my morning routine with kids that much more painful. The credit card slid between the seal works but I shouldn't have to do this every morning. This together with my charger port being frozen over the weekend makes me very sad about this car in the winter. I shouldn't have to spray it will stuff, I never have had to over the past 20 years of driving.

This has happened every morning for the past 5 days. Door handles need to be hit with a hand to open and then they stay open until you push them back in. 3 of the windows were frozen this morning, making my morning routine with kids that much more painful. The credit card slid between the seal works but I shouldn't have to do this every morning. This together with my charger port being frozen over the weekend makes me very sad about this car in the winter. I shouldn't have to spray it will stuff, I never have had to over the past 20 years of driving.
Are you preheating your car?

Reactions: Unique
Yup, ran it for 15 minutes today at 74, windows and doors still stuck. I shouldn't have to preheat longer than that, still feels wrong doing it that long as it takes under 5 for the car to heat up.
Yup, ran it for 15 minutes today at 74, windows and doors still stuck. I shouldn't have to preheat longer than that, still feels wrong doing it that long as it takes under 5 for the car to heat up.
I think Tesla recommends 30 minutes. Also, I'm thinking if the vents are pointed toward the windows that could help?

Then I'm sure there is some spray lube out there to prevent the gaskets from freezing/sticking. Just doesn't seem like this needs to be so complicated.
Silicone based gasket lube should work for that just fine. It's not a bad thing to do as part of regular maintenance anyway. You might still need to crack any ice locking the window glass to the door itself though.

Had this problem once — an iced window broke the mechanism. The Tesla Ranger who came out to fix it gave me a can of de-icing spray which has prevented further problems. His prior job was Audi repair and he handed that spray out with every Audi window he repaired.

• Helpful
Reactions: GWord
One other thing to mention, and I know it's going to sound obvious, but don't wash your car when it's going to be below freezing for days at a time. I'm mentioning it more for others than the OP, who is in New York. Believe it or not, I have more problems with frozen windows and doors in Nashville than I ever did when I lived in North Dakota. Why? Because it was much drier in North Dakota in the winter than it is in Nashville. Here, it will rain heavily for days, then freeze. When I had ICE cars, I always had to plan on having enough gas because I knew that my gas cap cover would always freeze shut after a hard rain.

This will be my first winter with my 3, and at least it's covered. And it will be a rather dirty car over the winter, but I'm hoping to be able to get into it without problems.

Fred wrote about the door handles and windows freezing and getting locked in Quebec.
Many of his readers are mentioning after being able to pry open the window glass, the glass would not come back to the full up position.

I used to have a Jag XK8 and you could reset the window height up motion by pressing on the window down button for 10 seconds and then moving to back up.

Is there a similar system to reset the windows in the Tesla 3?
Thx
Down and hold 15 seconds and up and hold for 15 seconds should reset the positions. Haven't tried it my self just saw it in on YouTube.

Regarding the door handles, the same way we hit our car door locks with WD40 to prevent freezing couldn't you just do the same thing on the M3 door handles?

I made that mistake years ago and it made the problem worse since it flushes out the dry lubricant used in locks. While it works at the time, it makes it worse in the long run as the solvent displaces the lube. Use graphite or molybdenum based powder lubes and you will not have frozen locks to begin with. That's what Tesla needs to do to solve the problem at the factory. If only it got below freezing in Freemont we likely wouldn't have this problem. Damn California techies -- we need to put them all in a deep freeze so they can understand the issues! ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Aieukl378
I believe folks are way over thinking this(could be due to the abundance of engineers who own Teslas lol).

lol...I bet you are right, i'm an engineer as well...

However, if that is true there ought to be a ton of great solutions. I already submitted my suggestion to Tesla that they change the regen to low automatically when the temperature reading hits 32F or below as a safety precaution. Whether or not they implement that we shall see. I have noticed lately that it seems to take a while for the AC to transition to heat and then redirect the heat to my feet while driving. I have been testing it by having the temp setting at 70F and seeing how it performs. For most of my drive it stays blowing in my face with cool air. I have to drive for a while before it seems to switch and get hot. But that might be a topic for another discussion.

Reactions: Aieukl378