Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrating experience at Discount Tire - HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rotate my tires twice a year when I switch over from winter<-->summer.
Yep. I thought I needed two jacks but I ended up swapping one tyre at a time so only one jack is required. People who only have one set of tyres that are on the car need two jacks for a rotation. Swaps are simpler and since it has to be done anyway in winter climates and the rotation is part of the swap.

As for the RakJack, it would be a lot more inconvenience than a simple manual jack for me. Maybe when I reach 80 years old ...

Last edited:
But you don't put winter/snow/M+S tires on in the winter do you?
Do you run all-seasons or summer tires?
I put on Nokian WR-3G (now 4G) in the winter. These are severe service all season tires, that are as good as all but the very best winter tires. However, they don't just melt in warm weather. Summer I run the Primacies.

If you can walk, bend down, lift, etc.
I bought some Michelin MXM4s at my local Discount Tire yesterday, and my experience was completely positive-they were familiar with my jack pads, knew how to use them, asked if I had air suspension and knew how to set jack mode, and were very careful and courteous. I think there can be good and bad shops within any big chain, it doesn't seem fair to paint all Discount Tire locations with the same broad brush. Your results may vary, of course, so due diligence is always required, expecially if you are new to the location. Even if you've been going to a tire shop for years, there is alway turnover of managers and employees, so it's an ongoing battle to educate them, but I think we're winning and it's getting better.

You know those "Customers aren't allowed in the work area" signs? If they won't let me close enough to see everything going on and in yelling distance of the mechanic I won't take my Model 3 to them. I also bring my own jack pad and hand it to the mechanic, to show them where it is.

Because even if the place is generally good, maybe today they have The New Guy there and he doesn't have Tesla experience. Or he's hung over and forgets. Or just forgets out of habit.

Yes I'm that customer. Well I try to do it in a friendly manner, I don't curse at people or scream. I'm just politely firm in a hopefully informative way. :)

Same thing when I got my brake discs turned. The guy was honest there, too. That he'd never worked on a Tesla at all before, that they hadn't gotten any. So I was right there, standing by my car as he worked on it. Probably in a legally okay position for their insurance since I was just outside the bay door but I could talk to him and see everything going on, that is until I had to lean in to show him a couple things. So when he, to his credit, didn't try put the car up on the lift but he was going to use the floor jack somewhere else I jump in and showed him the 4 points. He then used a chuck of plywood to buffer on the floor jack (I'd forgotten to bring the jack pad).

So yeah, Tesla isn't much help for 3rd party mechanics so we're going to need to help these folks with this new territory. Generally they aren't idiots, and frankly I learn things from it too, it is just a bit of a new twist on what they do.

Second that.

Third that. Got a cheap but good jack at harbor freight tools, and always have four jack pads in each Model 3. If I saw somebody lifting the car without them, I would tell them to stop immediately.

You (the OP) should have the battery compartment cover checked. I am assuming that you (the OP) didn't see any codes, or have your range all of a sudden go down?

Ouch... that first photo hurt.
Elliott here: 2 points if I may;

1) I am the only one, other than Tesla employees, who brings a tool near my baby girl... unless emergency services are necessary.

2) Because of #1, and the fact that emergency is my middle name...

I carry in my pack of emergency items 4 hockey pucks and INSIST I ASSIST in the application thereof.

Simple sturdy solution.

It's how I rotate at home, and if I can do it there... I can do it anywhere.

Remember, with great power comes great responsibility. 20190313_073615.jpg