Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@KArnold
The phantom braking does seem to be a vision only issue. Our car has gotten a lot better than it used to be. There are a couple spots that it regularly phantom brakes, due to dips in the road, but we’re used to them & know to keep a foot on the accelerator to prevent the phantom braking. But we don’t get it for oncoming cars on 2 lane roads like many vision only cars seem to do.

And as far as YT videos, the ones I watch aren’t all positive. I’ve really only watched 2 channels for most of the FSD Beta period, Chuck Cook & DirtyTesla. I started with Chuck & then expanded to include Dirty Tesla. More recently I’ve started watching videos from Roger K & Frenchie. None of them are overly positive about FSD Beta, Frenchie is probably the most positive of that bunch. I watched some AI DRIVR videos but then stopped because they were too positive.
Re phantom braking, my beta 3 has been a nightmare at times — especially on two lane roads during a trip a few weeks ago. I think 10.5 seems better but I haven’t been on a two lane yet with 10.5.

As for videos, I am not a videographer but use the beta on my 3 every day. I see slight improvement since I was added to the beta a couple months or so ago. What I find the most discouraging is that the software is doing some “new” tasks like dealing with unlined private roads, marked speed bumps, intersections and stoplights pretty well, but has taken a big step backwards on the tasks the general release software does fine. Examples of backsliding are phantom braking, sudden attempts to leave the driving lane with no signal, frequent lane changes where there is little or no traffic and excessive switching between bright and dim lights.

Back to the topic of this thread, I imagine some of you have noticed that Teslafi has not reported any further owners of our hardware configuration receiving FSD Beta, which suggests that sole lucky owner may be an error. However, not a lot of people period have been added to the Beta recently so perhaps the news for us will be better in the near future as invitations accelerate.

Last edited:
Your car was originally ordered early in April 2016 with a delayed delivery since we were expecting another Model S in June 2016. In September 2016, Tesla was ready to start building it but we asked them to delay delivery again since we knew AP2 would be coming in October. Back in 2016, I think Tesla assigned the VIN to the order before they actually started building the car. It might be one of the lowest VINs that had AP2 hardware when it was built in November 2016. I've seen others claim that AP2 didn't start until VIN 168xxx or similar...but we know there are VINs as low as 156xxx that originally had AP2. :)
My 11/16 Build Model S Titanium Metallic with VIN in the middle 166,xxx has AP2. It was likely ordered and then not delivered since I purchased it January 1, 2017 and that color was discontinued a few weeks before a P2 arrived.

Sorry this is not related to the cameras, but this is a group with the same vintage as mine, and I wonder if anyone has experienced a buzzing speaker.

If you have, please comment in the buzzing speaker thread, I have linked my last post in that thread.

The constant buzzing sound is aweful.... it's like the sound of drilling into my brain.

Fun stuff contacting Tesla Support. Yesterday my YouTube tv on my Teslas gave the message, “Sorry there was an error licensing this video.” Apparently this is a nationwide issue so I tried to chat with Tesla Corporate and was of course brushed off to the local SC. While on the phone with the SC I mentioned that I also was apparently forgotten after getting cameras updated for FSD Beta. The Tesla rep said that wasn’t true and that after another customer made the same report yesterday he checked and determined we are waiting on engineers in Fremont to clear our cars for FSD Beta, whatever the f that means.

Fun stuff contacting Tesla Support. Yesterday my YouTube tv on my Teslas gave the message, “Sorry there was an error licensing this video.” Apparently this is a nationwide issue so I tried to chat with Tesla Corporate and was of course brushed off to the local SC. While on the phone with the SC I mentioned that I also was apparently forgotten after getting cameras updated for FSD Beta. The Tesla rep said that wasn’t true and that after another customer made the same report yesterday he checked and determined we are waiting on engineers in Fremont to clear our cars for FSD Beta, whatever the f that means.

Sounds like they are making stuff up as they go along...

@azred
Sounds like a lame and illogical excuse to me. When Elon announced (admitted) we needed camera upgrades on Oct 21, in his tweet, Tesla had to know long before, that new cameras were needed. So, wouldn't they also know if anything else was " needed"?

And if nothing else is needed, why would Engineers have to " clear our cars ". Seems like just another stalling tactic, but for what reason?

@azred
Sounds like a lame and illogical excuse to me. When Elon announced (admitted) we needed camera upgrades on Oct 21, in his tweet, Tesla had to know long before, that new cameras were needed. So, wouldn't they also know if anything else was " needed"?

And if nothing else is needed, why would Engineers have to " clear our cars ". Seems like just another stalling tactic, but for what reason?
Yes, theoretically it should be just
1) Update car's hardware.
2) Diagnostic check
3) Recalculate firmware pernissions.
4) Offer firmware update if available.

But this is Tesla, so who knows?

Yes, theoretically it should be just
1) Update car's hardware.
2) Diagnostic check
3) Recalculate firmware pernissions.
4) Offer firmware update if available…
I think you are missing a gateway configuration step and something equivalent on the Tesla server side. But yeah, tech companies tackle harder problems than this. And Tesla manages much harder problems. But they have a lot to do. I’m cutting Tesla some slack.

Sorry this is not related to the cameras, but this is a group with the same vintage as mine, and I wonder if anyone has experienced a buzzing speaker.

If you have, please comment in the buzzing speaker thread, I have linked my last post in that thread.

The constant buzzing sound is aweful.... it's like the sound of drilling into my brain.

@ELECTROMAN⚡️ and @rob4448585 I apologize for letting you down with my inappropriate post in an unrelated thread... but I though that maybe someone here (with the same vintagte model) experineced it before... and I linked it to another thread to avoid talking about it here...

The buzzing sound is really, really, really bad and so far Tesla SC have been unable to fix it.
I have been dealing with this for about a year now, with no solution.

Who wants to bet my appointment will get postponed?
It's for Tuesday AM and as of now it's still in the preparation phase... still have to receive and approve the estimate...

Attachments

• IMG_5667.PNG
    IMG_5667.PNG
    199.4 KB · Views: 79
All the times I've had mobile service, the guy has asked for my key. So they may not be able to access your car without the key unlike the service centers (geofenced?)?
A couple years ago, at my office, the mobile service guy texted me that he was starting the job. I walked out of the building and he already had the trunk open and was working on replacing the taillight. No key needed. They can definitely get into the car, but hopefully only while the car is in “service mode”.

Reactions: El joe