Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta Constantly Moving out of the Cruising Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you mean? Even on Average or Chill, if I'm going over the speed limit, my car will get in the faster lane.
At least for me, if I'm on "Chill" AND "Minimize Lane Changes", it does not overtake into the left lane. It may do if the speed difference becomes extreme, but I've been driving quite a while now, on highways and this has not happened to me yet.

Is this not the case for you?

At least for me, if I'm on "Chill" AND "Minimize Lane Changes", it does not overtake into the left lane. It may do if the speed difference becomes extreme, but I've been driving quite a while now, on highways and this has not happened to me yet.

Is this not the case for you?
If I'm on average with minimize lane change, I don't believe so, it still will on rare occasion on assertive.

Reactions: JohnB007
Ok, so when "Assertive" is on, even "Minimize Lane Change" won't avoid overtaking...

Good to know.

I generally flip between "Assertive" with no "Minimize", or "Average/Chill" with "Minimize". That's probably why I don't experience what you are experiencing.
It's rare, but I was set to 80 in a 70 and there was a car going 55, it passed them yesterday on 11.4.1 with minimize lane change on.

Reactions: JohnB007
Did you try Minimize Lane Changes? It will NOT change lanes unless it is required.
Yes, I have Minimized Lane Changes selected. It didn't make a difference, it still makes unnecessary lane changes with no vehicles in front of me. If it in fact is speed based, of which I have found nothing in writing to confirm this, it's kind of stupid for it to be this way. What's the reasoning behind making a lane change when no vehicles are on the road in front of you, just because you're going faster than the posted speed limit?

Reactions: beachmiles
Yes, I have Minimized Lane Changes selected. It didn't make a difference, it still makes unnecessary lane changes with no vehicles in front of me. If it in fact is speed based, of which I have found nothing in writing to confirm this, it's kind of stupid for it to be this way. What's the reasoning behind making a lane change when no vehicles are on the road in front of you, just because you're going faster than the posted speed limit?
But what you're describing is the behavior that the car should exhibit if that option is not selected. It resets to being off at the start of each drive. Any chance that's the issue?

I did a 400m each way trip this week. On the way there I took interstate and the lane changes worked fairly well. It stayed in the right lane unless it needed to pass. It was a little reluctant to get out of the left lane unless there was a car behind me in that lane, but no unnecessary changes to the left lane.

On the return trip I took a different route that was mostly county highways. They were still 4 lane divided, but they had some non-overpass cross traffic. It exhibited the same behavior the OP outlined and continually wanted to get in the left lane even when there were no cars around. Sometimes it would say changing lanes to follow route and sometime it would say moving into faster lane. I think the follow route ones were map errors, but the faster lane I think might be because there is potential of traffic in the cross roads turning into the right lane and moving slowly. Not the behavior I would expect or want.

My wife found it amusing how many times I kept telling the car to stop it.

Phantom braking was also a lot worse on the county highway then on the interstate. Many times there were no obvious reason for it.

Reactions: beachmiles